Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 RVing Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2020, 02:34 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGoose View Post
Must be true. I read it in the internet.
Me Too
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2020, 02:35 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
I just love how this virus works, or doesn't. You may, or may not get it, and if you do you may or may not even know you have it, or you could die. But, if you don't know you have it you can still pass it to others unless you wear a mask, possibly. Once you do get it, even though you don't know it, you may, or may not become immune to it. In the future we will have a vaccine for it but maybe not. ............ This is just crazy world,, or not.
You hit it in the bullseye.
Old 06-21-2020, 03:06 PM   #59
laj

thats why i give it all the time, consideration, and attention it deserves.
Old 06-21-2020, 03:07 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbwr View Post
Failure of people to simply wear a mask and follow a few guidelines for social distancing will lead to more cases of the virus and make it more difficult to reopen businesses as much as possible. I hope I'm wrong, but a pretty significant second wave is more than likely in many parts of the country and in areas of denser populations.

People are entitled to believe what they wish, but the laws of science as they pertain to contagious diseases will prevail. I think much of the population fails to understand the devastation of viruses and diseases because of the development of vaccinations and medicines in the 20th century. Most of the population doesn't know of the impact of the development of penicillin during the early days of WWII. Prior to penicillin and drugs developed after it's creation, many, many people died from simple infections. Children that got a cut while playing ended up dying. Workers that had minor injuries would die.

Until a vaccine is developed, as long as there are people that have the Covid 19 virus, the danger of it spreading and causing major destruction is possible.

Lauren Belfer's novel "A Fierce Radiance" centers around the development of penicillin. Although the novel is historical fiction, the information about the development of penicillin used in the novel is based upon extensive research. For us baby boomers, we've grown up in a world of antibiotics and medicines and most of us don't understand how different the world was for our parents.
^^^ THIS ^^^ RIGHT ^^^ HERE ^^^

The small town cemetery my maternal family is buried in is a testament to the Spanish Flu pandemic - an astonishing amount of graves from 1918/19, some of them for very young children. It had to be a tremendous heartbreak to bury such youngsters. Plenty of old folks, too, but harder to say it was old age or a different disease/injury...

I remember my grandparents taking me to the local hospital and showing me the iron lung - it had been in use just a couple years before I saw it. I was too young to comprehend the importance then, but now understand that it represented a young life not ended, and that the vaccines were to end the need for mechanical ventilation. You can bet they made sure my dad and mom got me every vaccination, every booster, on time. The idea that loss of precious loved ones, especially the grandkids, could be prevented was a powerful motivator for them - they'd seen and lived through the 1918 pandemic, watched families devastated, and then measles and polio.

Many adults today do not have the experiential basis of their grandparents or great-grandparents and make questionable decisions as a result. What used to be Facts of science, geology, biology, or physics now require that a person "believe" in them. Pshaw.
Old 06-21-2020, 04:52 PM   #61

RCMP fined 7 Americans last week for stopping to sightsee in Banff National Park

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...aska-1.5621452

Hopefully the word gets out, and people start following the rules.
Old 06-21-2020, 05:56 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
^^^ THIS ^^^ RIGHT ^^^ HERE ^^^

The small town cemetery my maternal family is buried in is a testament to the Spanish Flu pandemic - an astonishing amount of graves from 1918/19, some of them for very young children. It had to be a tremendous heartbreak to bury such youngsters. Plenty of old folks, too, but harder to say it was old age or a different disease/injury...

I remember my grandparents taking me to the local hospital and showing me the iron lung - it had been in use just a couple years before I saw it. I was too young to comprehend the importance then, but now understand that it represented a young life not ended, and that the vaccines were to end the need for mechanical ventilation. You can bet they made sure my dad and mom got me every vaccination, every booster, on time. The idea that loss of precious loved ones, especially the grandkids, could be prevented was a powerful motivator for them - they'd seen and lived through the 1918 pandemic, watched families devastated, and then measles and polio.

Many adults today do not have the experiential basis of their grandparents or great-grandparents and make questionable decisions as a result. What used to be Facts of science, geology, biology, or physics now require that a person "believe" in them. Pshaw.

Because in the 1970s it was reported that the iceage was coming back. Then it was reported the Ozone layer was gone and we'd be toasted soon. It was published that we'd run out of oil.

And you wonder why I do not "believe" news reports of "irrefutable scientific evidence"?
Old 06-21-2020, 11:40 PM   #63

I'm so glad you are all staying home and hiding from this evil virus. Husband and I will continue to travel and enjoy our life. Yes, we have been through so many panics, ice age, global warming, polar ice caps melting, bird flu, swine flu, killer bees, if the government told me the sky was blue I would have to look out the window to check. I don't believe a word they say, so hide in your house. I'm living my life.
Old 06-22-2020, 02:05 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by megthered View Post
I'm so glad you are all staying home and hiding from this evil virus. Husband and I will continue to travel and enjoy our life. Yes, we have been through so many panics, ice age, global warming, polar ice caps melting, bird flu, swine flu, killer bees, if the government told me the sky was blue I would have to look out the window to check. I don't believe a word they say, so hide in your house. I'm living my life.

Sadly, that's what's causing this virus to spread. People who think like you. Listen to the medical experts. And this is nothing like the other "panics" we've experienced. Nothing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGoose View Post
Because in the 1970s it was reported that the iceage was coming back. Then it was reported the Ozone layer was gone and we'd be toasted soon. It was published that we'd run out of oil.

And you wonder why I do not "believe" news reports of "irrefutable scientific evidence"?

Ths Ozone layer is seriously thin. That's a proven fact. Oil will run out eventually. It's finite.

Stick with the CDC announcements. That's all you really need. They are spot on.
Old 06-22-2020, 07:22 AM   #65

Most of these cases are in heavy populated areas. I avoid these at all cost, but I drive through them to get to the wide open spaces and campgrounds. I will be leaving in a few days for about three weeks. I am planning an even longer trip in the September and I have already booked a trip in November. Unless one of us gets sick or everything shuts down we will be traveling. We will continue to wear out masks in stores and wash our hands.

If you want to stay cooped up at home then I am OK with that. That leaves more space at the campgrounds for the one's that want and will travel.
Old 06-22-2020, 07:36 AM   #66
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
I agree and respect what you are saying. Thank you. Unfortunately the whiners in this country don't have a clue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excesses View Post
Have it your way America. But we want to have it our way. The border is closed to automobile traffic and visitors both ways. By agreement. Canadian Border Services is allowing those who claim to be transiting to Alaska to proceed based on good will. There are those who are deniers and there are some of them that will take advantage of good will so as to endanger another population.
We have done very well here in Canada. Our numbers have plateaued. Some of your states are experiencing outbreaks. We don’t want to subject ourselves to unnecessary risks. Opening up is showing to be a mistake in numerous jurisdictions in some of the states that opened up too early. The USA has closed it’s borders to others. Why can’t our closed borders be respected?
As for fake news. I am so sick of that term. What do you want? Pictures of cars with American licence plates with someone holding an edition of today’s paper? Oh, right, fake news. An admission by someone with a Texas drawl that they came into the country on false pretences? Oh yeah, fake news. Just what will satisfy the contempt for truth?

We really wish we were able to go see our extended families and our friends who live in the USA. But we can’t.

Come on, let’s have some respect for each other. We are closed until we say we are closed. Respect your neighbour, please.

This thread does nothing but incite bad feelings. Admin please close it.
Thank you for your anticipated cooperation and anticipated respect for international agreements.
Old 06-22-2020, 12:34 PM   #67

Quote:

I’m not traveling because I picked up the virus you make light of. I came down with Covid-19 a few months ago, and have yet to fully recover. You referred to it as a flu in an earlier post. It is nothing like the flu. FWIW, I was healthy beforehand and am not in any risk group.

Many here are also traveling as you are, but are doing so responsibly, either by avoiding areas where crowds gather or by wearing masks and social distancing.
Other Americans are doing just as you are, which is why Canada has extended the border closing, and why they are ticketing Americans stopping at tourist areas.

Given the nature of the virus, irresponsible people are spreading it unknowingly. Just because they don’t know they are spreading the virus, it doesn’t make the people they infect less sick or less dead. I feel for the healthcare workers that have to risk their lives due to these irresponsible individuals.

A final thought - with your distrust of government, you might want to stay off the roads. The government was heavily involved in their construction.
Old 06-23-2020, 12:33 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite77 View Post
I’m not traveling because I picked up the virus you make light of. I came down with Covid-19 a few months ago, and have yet to fully recover. You referred to it as a flu in an earlier post. It is nothing like the flu. FWIW, I was healthy beforehand and am not in any risk group.

Many here are also traveling as you are, but are doing so responsibly, either by avoiding areas where crowds gather or by wearing masks and social distancing.
Other Americans are doing just as you are, which is why Canada has extended the border closing, and why they are ticketing Americans stopping at tourist areas.

Given the nature of the virus, irresponsible people are spreading it unknowingly. Just because they don’t know they are spreading the virus, it doesn’t make the people they infect less sick or less dead. I feel for the healthcare workers that have to risk their lives due to these irresponsible individuals.

A final thought - with your distrust of government, you might want to stay off the roads. The government was heavily involved in their construction.
Well put. What many people don't know is that there are potentially life long complications from this virus. Unlike the flu.

Stay away from the fake news channels, Faux News, OANN, etc. Stick with the CDC.
Old 06-23-2020, 05:48 AM   #69

Both DH and I are very concerned about the virus. We mask and social distance. We did our first trip since Christmas last week. We found a small state park with full hook ups. We were self contained and followed our normal procedures of masks and social distancing when out. I was disconcerted that several of the campground staff, including the host, did not wear a mask although the host did seem to social distance.

As I've mentioned too many times on the boards, we completely changed our summer travel plans. We are off to ND and points south before heading back to the beach. Now that SC has more widespread testing, we will get tested before we leave so we will have a base point.

One area of concern. Part of our plan is to visit with our children and get to meet our newest great grandchild. Although we visit weekly by video call, it is not the same as being there. DH is very concerned that not everyone in the families is taking the virus seriously. He will have a discussion with his daughters before we make that final decision. What was supposed to be a four day stop might just be a quick look see. All because they are not taking simple precautions.

I am very concerned about the huge spike in numbers locally. We went from 5-6 to over 100 every day. Some of our visitors brought more of it here and then others are taking it back home. We get regular reports of folks who were here visiting our bars and clubs gathering for parties are now back home and sick.
Old 06-23-2020, 09:18 AM   #70

Quote:
Covid IS real and nothing like anything mankind has ever experienced save the "black plague" (bubonic) in the middle ages and later. If you think global warming is "fake" God help you. When I was a kid, Lake Michigan froze over EVERY SINGLE YEAR! It hasn't frozen in years! Polar ice caps ARE melting. I could go on but won't. I am using my MH this year. But I wear masks and take all precautions; I social distance, never am in a crowd, etc. Apparently Covid-19 travels from person to person. With precautions, it becomes unlikely that you spread it. Unfortunately, too many people take zero precautions, not wearing masks, not social distancing, etc. Other day safely in my car, parked at a Dollar General, there was a big sign that said "By order of the City, masks must be worn to enter, and 6' social distancing is mandatory." I watched a huge parade of people going in and out and all ot them were not wearing masks and they were shoulder-to-shoulder. Texas is experiencing a huge wave of Covid! If I was dumb, I'd wonder why. And, BTW, Trump said the heat would kill the virus. Huh? We certainly have got the heat and just as certainly, the virus doesn't care.
Closed Thread