Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 RVing Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2020, 03:35 PM   #1

RV Storage Closures

So I have been really bored the last few weeks and thought I would go visit my motorhome which is storage. I found when i got there that the entire lot was closed. I called the main office and found they are not considered an essential business, so had to close. I certainly understand social distancing and have been religious about that, but....I just wanted to go start it up and mess with it a little. There are usually very few people on the lot at any given time.
I know we are supposed to stay at home, and we have been tucked away for the great majority of the time.

Just wondering if anyone else has run into this problem. Who knows when things will start opening up again.
98winnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2020, 05:30 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98winnie View Post
So I have been really bored the last few weeks and thought I would go visit my motorhome which is storage. I found when i got there that the entire lot was closed. I called the main office and found they are not considered an essential business, so had to close. I certainly understand social distancing and have been religious about that, but....I just wanted to go start it up and mess with it a little. There are usually very few people on the lot at any given time.
I know we are supposed to stay at home, and we have been tucked away for the great majority of the time.

Just wondering if anyone else has run into this problem. Who knows when things will start opening up again.
Yep, same here in Illinois. We had no notice, the police stopped in the office last Saturday and shut down the place. I got an email that basically said tough luck. Had I known I would have moved it to my driveway.
And this is the ultimate in social distancing, punch in a code, drive through the gate. Same to get out. Hardly ever anyone in there. Not exactly a hotbed of social activity...
I really wonder if they can legally keep someone from accessing their own property.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 06:07 PM   #3

we don't even have to punch in a code. swipe card will get you access. Our lot also has self storage units, so I'm wondering what people do if they are trying to move and can't get access to furniture, etc.
Old 04-06-2020, 06:19 PM   #4

interesting side note. We have been planning to have a pool installed this year. Before we pulled the trigger, I called the pool company to see if they were still open. He said absolutely.. they are considered an essential business because they sell chemicals to purify the water.
So we are getting the pool - just don't see any rhyme or reason in the whole process. I'll certainly take the pool since it doesn't look like we are going anywhere this year.....
Old 04-06-2020, 08:55 PM   #5

My storage place here in the Houston area is open.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:23 PM   #6

Storage in SoCal is open.
Gocats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:26 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
This time has been the biggest loss of freedom and civil liberty in history. Yes, I know why. Auto repair is still open but you can't get your car out of storage to get it there. Someone is not thinking.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 10:31 PM   #8

Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
This time has been the biggest loss of freedom and civil liberty in history. Yes, I know why. Auto repair is still open but you can't get your car out of storage to get it there. Someone is not thinking.
https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politic...vwlgK5gO3S_GIE

This pretty much sums up what I want to say. Sometimes common sense and enforcement do not go hand and hand. Closing a storage facility.... Are the automobile dealerships closed too? I doubt it. Stupidity.
Old 04-06-2020, 10:36 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98winnie View Post
we don't even have to punch in a code. swipe card will get you access. Our lot also has self storage units, so I'm wondering what people do if they are trying to move and can't get access to furniture, etc.
Are you saying they pad locked the entrance or something? Did they deactivate your card? I would contact owner and/or my attorney and send letter of demand to get access. I can see shutting down office, but not blocking a secure gated access.

My RV was at dealership waiting on some parts, but I was one of the lucky ones that so called panicked. Back in January when things were being totally dismissed I start to plan for the worse case scenarios. Scared? No, think more of Bert on Tremors. As fate would have it, I now use my RV as office while my wife uses the office in the house since we both must work from home now.

Good luck with getting your RV.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 11:28 PM   #10

Call police and your representative. Tell them you need the RV to use as a quarantine to keep someone potentially exposed away from the rest of your family, and you plan to use it on <someone’s> property. And open the storage place before you come into the police station coughing your head off to file a complaint.
Mknmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 06:53 AM   #11

In my case they deactivated my swipe card. I am going to call them again today. I don't plan on going anywhere, but I need to do a few things. I don't like to just let it sit for months at a time.
and yes, someone is not thinking. Why are convenience stores open to sell junk food and beer. Why not leave the pumps open for gas (pay at the pump) and close the rest. Those places are packed all the time. Social distancing? I think not.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:51 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In our case they deactivated the gate. The email I got said only essential businesses that store their equipment could gain access, and they had to have a letter on their person to present on demand stating they are an essential business. Also had to make an appointment with the office.
I'm not so much upset with the storage company; they are just following the Governor's executive order which is being enforced by the local police.
What bothers me is we got no notice. Just, "sorry, you can't access your property."
And the next day I had to pay the rent.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 03:39 PM   #13

Storage open here. Was there Sunday.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 04:23 PM   #14

We are in the same boat with one of our cars. We were supposed to pick it up on April 1st but place is closed.

I put it back on storage insurance as soon as I found out.

Tags
storage