Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 RVing Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2020, 09:11 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psneeld View Post
Agreed...the all or nothing attitude is medieval.

Risk management was developed for a reason...this form of critical thinking allows people to recogniize risks, apply mitigation to the point of reasonable safety, and move on.

Using info that experts provide, many day to day activities can be done in relative safety, some can not. But to think the virus can shut everything down is disturbing to me.

Are they wearing masks on the international space station? If not, are they irresponsible and a threat to the crew?
They actually quarantine them for a month before any launch. Not for just Covid, but for everything else too.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2020, 09:13 AM   #44

Sorry about the profanity. I'll rephrase: don'tbeapoopyperson!
Old 07-16-2020, 10:45 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psneeld View Post
Agreed...the all or nothing attitude is medieval.

Risk management was developed for a reason...this form of critical thinking allows people to recogniize risks, apply mitigation to the point of reasonable safety, and move on.

Using info that experts provide, many day to day activities can be done in relative safety, some can not. But to think the virus can shut everything down is disturbing to me.
Snip

The all or nothing attitude is almost always wrong. Think the zero tolerance policy of the 90's.
Risk management is an important way of dealing with many things. The problem arises when people have different views on what their tolerance level is.

The US had no coordinated plan to deal with this. A patch work approach didn't work and won't in the future. Until a vaccine is available I fear we will continue with rising infection rates and closed state borders.

Psneeld, are you on the trawler forum. If so I always enjoyed reading your posts.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
Old 07-16-2020, 10:54 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
They actually quarantine them for a month before any launch. Not for just Covid, but for everything else too.
Yes, I know.

But the point was completely missed like 90 perfect of all COVID posts.

Yes Timjet, TF and a few other forums ....slowly but surely backing out of posting...over on TF I stopped COVID posting because it seemed no matter what was posted, some exceedingly active posters were like RADAR guided missiles with limited opinions.
Old 07-16-2020, 12:24 PM   #47

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If this is like the common cold and the likelihood of a vaccine is limited, our only hope is to find effective treatments. I’m encouraged by what the doctor in the video stated about the drug he was using on his patients. I believe finding a treatment is going to be the game changer, and not waiting for a vaccine.

My fear is that locking down the country will speed our economic decline. Stimulus checks are just borrowing against our grandchildren‘s future. Who holds the note on all the money our government is giving away? What happens if they demand payment?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-16-2020, 01:54 PM   #48

I agree an effective vaccine is a pipe dream. Even the flu shot is barely 60% effective. And this new vaccine is an mRNA experimental type that has never been successfully deployed for any virus. I certainly would not administer to my family with just a few months of testing.

Some might remember in 1955 they infected 10s of thousands of children with polio via a vaccine.

I know plenty of people that have tested positive here in Florida. No one has had any serious symptoms. I am not afraid and agree we are destroying the entire way of life as well as the economy for what appears to be a very survivable virus when compared to the flu.

My wife is a physician and I also am a medical provider so unfortunately our education does not allow us to believe or understand the mask mandates. Up until April of this year cloth and simple paper masks would not be considered even 5% effective at stopping virus transmission in either direction. And valved cloth masks are not only not protecting the wearer-they are also straight blowing the exhaled air. Yet even politicians are wearing those. Constantly touching and reusing these exposed masks increase your likelihood of picking up lots of germs. Masks are mandated because no politician or beurocrat can put the genie back in the bottle and say it’s ok to get back to life after screaming the end of the world is near.

We wear them to protect the emotions of the less educated around us.

The point is I could not agree more-the media is scaring the crap out of people and reasonable intelligent precautions could have been implemented from the beginning that might have not destroyed so many small businesses that people spent years or even generations building.
Old 07-16-2020, 02:56 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhooker View Post
The point is I could not agree more-the media is scaring the crap out of people and reasonable intelligent precautions could have been implemented from the beginning that might have not destroyed so many small businesses that people spent years or even generations building.
Like what?
Old 07-16-2020, 03:13 PM   #50

Outdoors RV Owners Club
As long as the tests keep coming up + we will be in shut down mode. I am going to take inventory as I feel another rush on stuff is on the way.
Old 07-16-2020, 03:16 PM   #51

OP provided a personal account of how fear of germs affected a wonderful person.

We are individuals and not statistics.

About two years ago my wife died suddenly. Her cousin who spoke at her memorial service is now in the hospital with kidney failure.

They were grandmothers not afraid to get down in the dirt to play with the little ones. Germs are just part of life.

At the time of the covid-19 outbreak, we were working a project to improve the quality of life for a 92 year old woman. We talk on a weekly basis when I am not near that part of the family. After first leaving, one topic we discussed was if any one was sick. I did not want to bring covid-19 and infect my grandaughter et al.

After a while it was clear that none of was close even close to an infected person. She was upset because two youngest children did not understand why they could not hug their grandmother.

DIL will not leave the house because of covid-19. Children can not leave the house. Dad can not leave the house.

People in their 70s and 80s can go shopping and leave what they need at the front door. At that point, the grandchildren can be viewed through a window.

The good news is that the hospital allows in end of life situations one visitor at a time. So she gets to see her other son and her oldest granddaughter.
Old 07-16-2020, 03:22 PM   #52

There were many things that should have been done but it was all completely mismanaged. So many on here act as if we are the only country to experience the virus. Several months ago we were on the same track as Europe, they managed to make the hard decisions and get things under control. We didn't.

DH and I are very concerned about the virus. I am sorry about the OP's friend. We did not go near anyone the first three months. We are still limiting contact and wearing a mask, washing hands, avoiding crowds, etc.

We took one motor home trip to a state park with full service. We were self contained and did not interact. That is not how we like to take trips. We go to museums and restaurants. We go to parks and historic sites. Since we are not going into restaurants, we will get carryout, and most museums and historic sites are closed, we are saving our money and staying close to home until next year.
Old 07-16-2020, 03:28 PM   #53

Only mismanagement is in the brain, or lack of, the people themselves......stupid people doing stupid stuff....government is not the blame....some peoples folks are or were....
Old 07-16-2020, 03:41 PM   #54

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you haven’t watched the video in post #37, please watch it. Don’t discard it because of the messenger's politics. (My daughter won’t watch it because of the news service that’s reporting it). What this doctor is saying makes so much sense to me that I have ordered myself a nebulizer before they become the next hoarded items. You can buy them without a Rx starting at $25.

My thinking is that COVID-19 is a coronavirus similar to the common cold in that you don’t develop long-term antibodies to it. This doctor in the video names a specific drug that he treats his patients with and they don’t need to be hospitalized.

Could it be that this virus can cause lung damage and the young people that are dying are the ones who resisted getting early treatment for their breathing issues. This could be the game changer in this war. Not a cure, but a treatment. If you'll search for Budesonine you'll find that there are already researchers studying this drug for this virus.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-16-2020, 03:59 PM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
OAN Network T-shirt is what got OSU (Oklahoma) Football coach in trouble.
Old 07-16-2020, 04:10 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
Like what?
You could not send covid-19 carriers to nursing home to infect already very sick people and when you have to you would do it carefully.

Many nursing homes in Nevada do not have many cases.

One nursing home has 24 imported cases. With only 4 cases amount patients, somebody must have done a good job of protecting those already there.

However, 42.38% of the staff were infected with one death.
Closed Thread