Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 RVing Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2020, 08:08 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Wow! You are completely wrong. Why have those in the medical field worn masks since long ago? They must know something you or your physician wife doesn't. So all scientists and other medical personnel are wrong in advising masks? It has been proven that they work.
You know what I would like to see and would probably put this mask issue to bed is an unbiased report on them and there usage. A company like Consumer Reports comes to mind. Once they got done testing then I would feel that the statement "It has been proven that they work." might hold some water.

As it stands there are what I would consider a lot of credible people who are saying that mask are not that great. The DW's doc when we saw him a month ago spent close to an hour with us and none of us had mask on. He is a heart surgeon so I will trust he knows just as much as the scientists and other medical personnel.

I would consider a surgeon standing over an open wound to not be the same as wearing a mask say in a grocery store.

For those who point out countries like Japan where they are wearing masks, this pops up so makes you wonder. https://www.aol.com/tokyo-reports-re...124554899.html

I will leave it with this question twogypsies how do you really know that redhooker is completely wrong? Where is your proof?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2020, 08:21 PM   #72

Okmunky I am sorry for the lose of your friend. It is sad to know that your friend was so frightened about covid. There is a young lady I am guessing around 25-26 in our church who has been diagnosed with covid. From what I understand she is very frightened also. She also has some other conditions that do make it a concern, lupus and she is over weight. As it stands her 2 boys have been staying with Great Grandmother and this person is on her own. Told the DW we should have her come up and stay with us. It just does not make sense that people have to live in fear over something like this. We really do not know the family all that well so not sure if she would be comfortable doing that or not.
Old 07-16-2020, 09:00 PM   #73

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
IHC1470, Being sick and alone is such a bad idea - even dangerous. Perhaps having your church members set up a calling schedule and dropping off meals to this young lady might be a safer option for all concerned. She'll probably be more comfortable at home but she could use lots of support from y'all to monitor her.

If this was someone I know I’d call her every 3-4 hours day and night. If she failed to answer I’d have a plan B. Someone with a house key to check on her or call police for a welfare check, perhaps? It won’t matter if you wake her up It matters that she remain able to care for herself and she won’t safely be able to judge that for herself.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-17-2020, 12:07 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihc1470 View Post

I will leave it with this question twogypsies how do you really know that redhooker is completely wrong? Where is your proof?
There have been lab tests done on various masks and how they do protect you. Google.

Again.... millions of scientists and medical personnel recommend them. Don't you think they know something?

https://www.consumerreports.org/coro...t-coronavirus/
Old 07-17-2020, 12:39 AM   #75

Barb, my condolences on the death of your dear friend. I can tell you miss her very much, and between lines I read your lament that if she was gonna die, doing something besides staying home might have been more fitting of her nature and spirit. May her memory be a constant blessing to you.

The premature nature of some deaths, whether freak household accident or Covid-19, seem to make the hurt worse.
Old 07-17-2020, 12:41 AM   #76

Quote:
There have been lab tests done on various masks and how they do protect you. Google.

Again.... millions of scientists and medical personnel recommend them. Don't you think they know something?

Some experts have said that there’s little reason for the average person to wear a mask. “In the research that’s been done, we don’t see any benefit at the community level for wearing the mask,” said Amanda McClelland, M.P.H., a senior vice president at Vital Strategies, a public health organization that focuses on global health threats.

This from the link you posted. As to your question yes I think they know something the question might better be what do they know.
Old 07-17-2020, 04:07 AM   #77

Quote:

With all due respect-

Mask wearing by healthcare professionals such as ourselves has to be done in a proper manner with rated masks. We wear N95 or N100 rated masks donned with a sterile method and disposed of immediately after use. Such procedures and equipment are not practical for everyday life.

We have never in our professional careers worn simple cloth masks. Ever.

Simple “surgical” masks are only for large droplet protection. To protect against splatter from “blood borne” pathogens. Not airborne viruses. We use them for trauma patients and during procedures such as intubation.

The so-called studies they refer to now are simple tests they paid for this year and consisted of spray bottles and hamsters-and I am not kidding-and when you look at the ACTUAL studies with the processes used it is obvious they do not replicate real life and were performed to give the outcome they desired.

The only thing a cloth or paper mask prevents is large droplets (spit) being expelled. I don’t know the people or places you frequent but no one has been spitting on me in my day to day life. The population is being treated like ignorant cattle right now.

When you speak to respected physicians in your community they will give you different information than the doctors that are on TV spouting propaganda.
Old 07-17-2020, 04:21 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihc1470 View Post
Snip

As it stands there are what I would consider a lot of credible people who are saying that mask are not that great.

For those who point out countries like Japan where they are wearing masks, this pops up so makes you wonder. https://www.aol.com/tokyo-reports-re...124554899.html

I believe your point is downplaying the effectiveness of masks and you posted the article above to make your point.
Am I correct?
However if you read the article perhaps you missed this quote: Japan has managed to largely weather the outbreak with 22,890 recorded cases and 985 deaths to date, a figure considerably lower than many countries in Europe.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
Old 07-17-2020, 04:50 AM   #79

We can argue all day long and provide numerous articles that masks don't work. But countries that mandated the early use of masks are in much better shape than we are.

Folks, the US has the most C-19 cases. More than any other country. We are NOT getting this right!
Why?
We do not have a unified response. Each state has their own "experts". Some states experts are their governor. Some like NY have mandated the early wearing of masks and closed their borders to states with rising C-19 infections. NYC started out bad, very bad, but they reversed the curve. Some like GA whose governor has resided Atlanta's mayor requirement that it's cities citizen's wear masks, has seen the highest infection rate since this started. You think there is something to be learned here?

A post earlier in this thread pointed to a CNN article about the success Taiwan had in dealing with this. I suggest everyone read this. To recap, they required everyone wear a mask back in February and had strict penalties for those who didn't. They closed their border. Much of the success Taiwan has had was learned from their poor response to the SARS pandemic of '03.

Home made cloth masks are not as effective as N95 or KN95 masks but are better than nothing. Perhaps if the US Govt had included a N95 mask with the stimulus checks we would be in a different place. I just ordered 5 KN95 masks yesterday.
Both sold
Old 07-17-2020, 04:58 AM   #80

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhooker View Post
With all due respect-

Mask wearing by healthcare professionals such as ourselves has to be done in a proper manner with rated masks. We wear N95 or N100 rated masks donned with a sterile method and disposed of immediately after use. Such procedures and equipment are not practical for everyday life.

We have never in our professional careers worn simple cloth masks. Ever.

Simple “surgical” masks are only for large droplet protection. To protect against splatter from “blood borne” pathogens. Not airborne viruses. We use them for trauma patients and during procedures such as intubation.

The so-called studies they refer to now are simple tests they paid for this year and consisted of spray bottles and hamsters-and I am not kidding-and when you look at the ACTUAL studies with the processes used it is obvious they do not replicate real life and were performed to give the outcome they desired.

The only thing a cloth or paper mask prevents is large droplets (spit) being expelled. I don’t know the people or places you frequent but no one has been spitting on me in my day to day life. The population is being treated like ignorant cattle right now.

When you speak to respected physicians in your community they will give you different information than the doctors that are on TV spouting propaganda.

My daughter in law, a respiratory therapist agrees totally. Masks are being totally misrepresented and at best misused. Single use tossed after.
You have to keep the masses happy and not hiding in the house so give them something to believe they are safe so they can get on with life. Hey it gives all those who like to sew something to do , but cloth masks are more a fashion statement than anything.
I’ll wear one to keep the folks calm as I shop but I’m not deluded into the safe belief.
Old 07-17-2020, 06:11 AM   #81

Just the fact that we are debating to wear a mask or not is just crazy. If the scientist/medical experts determine that wearing a mask is going to save lives, then that is what we should be doing, not debating about it. We don't debate speed limit laws or traffic rules?
I applaud the governor's that have made rules about wearing mask in their states. Now either wear the mask or face the consequences. Government is suppose to mandate what is good for the masses, it's not about protecting the individual that does not want to wear a mask for selfish reasons!
Old 07-17-2020, 06:12 AM   #82

CNN......now there's a source to trust......
Old 07-17-2020, 06:51 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Snip

If the scientist/medical experts determine that wearing a mask is going to save lives, then that is what we should be doing, not debating about it. We don't debate speed limit laws or traffic rules?
Snip
Actually we do debate traffic laws. Remember when speed limit laws were a hot debate during the oil embargo of the early 70's?

If you look at the countries that have done better at lowering the infection rates they have one thing in common. They have required the wearing of masks.

The problem we in the US have is that we can't take a mandate from any authority without resistance. I'm sure there will be law suits in the coming months in communities that forced their citizens to wear a mask.

We can live in a democracy and force our citizens to follow common sense guidelines.

Bob, how did this pandemic turn political? Sure CNN is left leaning like Fox is right leaning. Do you only get your news from Fox? If you read that CNN article, please point our any material in it that is political or left leaning.

Don't answer my first question, I know how this became political.
Both sold
Old 07-17-2020, 07:16 AM   #84

If the virus is not that big of a deal as some say and herd immunity is the key then lets all go get an injection of Covid and be done with it.
Within a month it would be done.
Closed Thread