RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2020, 04:40 PM   #1
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
She was terrified of the virus

I got word today that a wonderful lady, an RVer, my friend Colleen, died from a freak accident in her home. I'm posting it here because Colleen had not left her home or allowed any visitors inside since the shutdown in March due to her extreme fears of getting the virus.

Yes, the virus is bad, but how much worse is the fear and paranoia that the news media is spreading in order to boost their ratings and revenues?

I don’t fear getting sick as much as I fear for the mental health of our nation, and the entire world. And I’m 69 years old.

I commend those of you who are making careful plans and trying to resume as normal a life as is possible today. For those of you cloistered at home - PLEASE quit watching TV and get outdoors and enjoy life. Do it for Colleen! Sunshine and friendships are so important. Wash your hands, wear a mask but fight to live a quality life.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2020, 04:55 PM   #2

I'm not sure what you're point is. If you believe this C-19 is a hoax and the news media is spreading fear to raise ratings, why are you recommending the wearing of a mask?

Towing a '14 Honda CRV
Old 07-15-2020, 05:37 PM   #3

Hi Tim.

I read, and then re-read the OP. I do not see where the OP referred to the COVID 19 virus as a "hoax", as you referenced in your reply. In fact, the OP said, and I quote here: "Yes, the virus is bad."

It seems there is a challenge applying texture to conversations now more than ever. I try very hard to appreciate all the nuance of situations, and apply that to my analysis and communication. Rarely is any single subject as black and white as it first appears.

So, I won't speak for the OP, but I know that some people concurrently believe the virus is dangerous, that people should do things like wear masks to protect themselves and others, that avoiding large crowds and confined spaces is vitally important, and that also there is an industry that indeed profits from fear and conducts their business accordingly.

These things are not mutually exclusive. I can respect that sort of belief structure, and the message that I think I gleaned from the original post is to measure all these things holistically, and act accordingly. I hope the OPs friend didn't spend her last months alone, and in fear at the expense of having friends drop food off every now and again, or taking a socially distant stroll in the park to hear the birds sing and see the butterflies fly.

Have a good one Tim.

Also, okmunky, I am sorry for the loss of your friend.

Old 07-15-2020, 05:49 PM   #4

RIP Colleen.

I believe the OP is saying to adjust, but still live life. Life goes on, even in bad times.

Everyone dies. Not everyone lives.
Old 07-15-2020, 06:10 PM   #5

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Okmunky, sorry for the loss of your friend.

We have been fortunate that living in the country lets us take walks without being near anyone.

I can't imagine living in fear and not being able to get outside.

So many people are starting to let their guard down, so COVID is starting to ramp up in some places again.

If we all just keep from spreading our germs, it will slow down again.

Happy Glamping.
Norman, 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Old 07-15-2020, 06:21 PM   #6

Agreed...the all or nothing attitude is medieval.

Risk management was developed for a reason...this form of critical thinking allows people to recogniize risks, apply mitigation to the point of reasonable safety, and move on.

Using info that experts provide, many day to day activities can be done in relative safety, some can not. But to think the virus can shut everything down is disturbing to me.

Are they wearing masks on the international space station? If not, are they irresponsible and a threat to the crew?
Old 07-15-2020, 06:44 PM   #7

Hello.
I wish to add to this conversation because Covide 19 has a profound effect on all of us.
Being from Florida for over 49 years we are watching the reporting of the
progress of Covide 19 in our state with great interest.
Not really surprised to see the great daily increase of positive reports.
This virus is extremely infectious. It seems to go from one person to another with great speed.
Saying that, the reports of increasing inflections, serious or not, are and must be expected. We all have no natural defense to this virus.
WE ALL MUST EXPECT THAT WE WILL GET THE VIRUS, SOONER OR LATER.
Hopefully, protecting those of us who are most liable to get the virus, plus
developing drugs to help securing a recovery, and vaccine to protect us, will
secure a way out of this pandemic.
My thougths. The MSM has not leveled with our people yet. Tests are ok.
Tests are not the true mark of progress. Reduction of the death rate is.
Regards,
JimB
Old 07-15-2020, 06:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Snip

Yes, the virus is bad, but how much worse is the fear and paranoia that the news media is spreading in order to boost their ratings and revenues?

Snip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Klompus View Post
Hi Tim.

I read, and then re-read the OP. I do not see where the OP referred to the COVID 19 virus as a "hoax", as you referenced in your reply. In fact, the OP said, and I quote here: "Yes, the virus is bad."
Snip

The bold face would indicate that the writer is implying to some degree that the danger is over stated by the media. He also implies the presumably inaccurate reporting is more dangerous than the virus.

So I will ask this question to okmunky: Do you consider the C-19 reporting by the media to be accurate, less than accurate, or totally inaccurate. If as okmunky states, " the media is boosting ratings and revenues" then I would conclude the media is deceiving its viewers simply to gain money.

Google definition of hoax: a humorous or malicious deception.

Also, okmunky, I too am sorry for the loss of your friend and also for the people who didn't take this seriously and can't do a do over.
Towing a '14 Honda CRV
Old 07-15-2020, 06:57 PM   #9

And he is a she......be respectful.....
2010 Rockwood Sig Ultra lite 5er 8280......'99 Ram 2500, Cummins. 4x4.....Pullrite Superglide.....RV Mutant 186.....Bob the Builder...As not being a cook, 1/2 way thru bucket list.....casting no shadow...
Old 07-15-2020, 06:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
I got word today that a wonderful lady, an RVer, my friend Colleen, died from a freak accident in her home. I'm posting it here because Colleen had not left her home or allowed any visitors inside since the shutdown in March due to her extreme fears of getting the virus.

I donít fear getting sick as much as I fear for the mental health of our nation, and the entire world. And Iím 69 years old.

I commend those of you who are making careful plans and trying to resume as normal a life as is possible today. For those of you cloistered at home - PLEASE quit watching TV and get outdoors and enjoy life. Do it for Colleen! Sunshine and friendships are so important. Wash your hands, wear a mask but fight to live a quality life.
News media hype? My state (OR) has seen cases rise 7% in one week.
Two ways to look at it. Yes there's more testing, but if there were less positive cases then you could say it's hype. OR has more testing and more positive cases. That means many more than known are infected.
How is it hype?
Old 07-15-2020, 07:00 PM   #11
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thank you Jack, for clarification of my thoughts. I was a bit emotional when I wrote that.

My beliefs about this virus -

* The media is fear mongering for profit
* Over 99% of the people who get it survive
* yes, it is spreading, but time does that and the sooner we have a large number of survivors, the sooner it will be manageable. I donít believe anyone should willingly expose themselves, just that exposure is inevitable for all but the very diligent.

I also have some questions -

* Are the numbers higher mainly because so many more people are being tested?
* How many "super germs" will be created by the overuse of sanitizers?
* How long before mental health deaths out-number virus deaths?
* How do you keep children from becoming germaphobic and scared of everyone?
* How many politicians are more fearful of not being re-elected than of the virus and do "anything and everything" just so their opponents canít criticize them.

I know it's hard to find, but there needs to be some balance in this issue.

FYI I live way out in Yuma County, AZ but I do go to Yuma weekly for essentials. Our zip code has had zero cases so Iím not as careful out here as I am in Yuma where I wear a mask when anyone is within 15 feet. I use soap and water because Iím allergic to something in many of the hand sanitizers.

I believe that at the moment of conception all creatures are given an expiration date and we live until it's our turn to die. I donít avoid the virus because I might die from it. I just donít want to get sick.

I wonder if Colleen had some premonition that her time was coming and figured that the virus was the means? Her paranoia couldnít change the inevitable. And I miss her!
Old 07-15-2020, 07:09 PM   #12

Hi Tim.

I'll let my original response stand. I think I covered it well enough, and I am satisfied my thoughts were clear and well presented, especially those relating to the danger's of the virus and the level of completeness of information offered from most media outlets.

I hope my comments are taken in good faith by those who come across them.

If okmunky wants to engage you in argument, it's their prerogative, but I get the impression they didn't come here to argue, but rather to grieve a friend who enjoyed RVing and to share a personal message.

Be well.

Old 07-15-2020, 07:14 PM   #13

And in Portland how many of the new cases are the protesters.....I'm personaly fed up with them and hope more of them catch it......or some lead....
2010 Rockwood Sig Ultra lite 5er 8280......'99 Ram 2500, Cummins. 4x4.....Pullrite Superglide.....RV Mutant 186.....Bob the Builder...As not being a cook, 1/2 way thru bucket list.....casting no shadow...
Old 07-15-2020, 07:18 PM   #14
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm not spooked by more cases because those need to happen for this to end. I doubt any truly effect vaccine will be available for another year.

In all honesty, Iím more concerned about the long term side effects from the virus than the numbers. The media reports them, but what percentage of people have disabling side effects? They happen, so they make the news.

Numbers do not equal truth in all cases. How many states are lumping everyone over 64 into the same death statistics? There's a HUGE difference between the health of most 65 year olds and 90 year olds. Numbers can take any side of any issue. Itís how they are grouped that makes them seem worse than they are.

Do know that Medicare will pay 20% more for virus care? No incentive for fraud there, huh?

Kansas has a 103 year old survivor!

Closed Thread