Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 RVing Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2020, 10:16 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss68 View Post
As opposed to the grocery store clerk who checks you out after being exposed to thousands of other people?

Grocery stores around here have all installed glass or plastic boxes around the cashiers, they’re wearing masks, and are never close enough to touch any one.
We’re getting our groceries delivered.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2020, 10:30 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlackDak View Post
The downside to getting it is that you’re exposing yourself to the person giving the shot, who has been exposed to the hundreds of other people they’re administering it to every day.
Considering that both influenza and SARS-CoV-2 (Covid) are respiratory virii, I think your concern is minimal (drive-thru vaccination is my doctor's answer) outdoors and only slightly more enhanced indoors IF the person administering the vaccination is masked, gloved, and only spends a moments with each patient AND each patient is wearing his/her/their masks.

I've spent 6 months researching virus transmission. I'm not an expert (researching for 'return to work' safety protocols), I'm not a doctor, I'm not a epidemiologist... but the primary infection vector is respiratory and the influencing factors are proximity (distance) and exposure time to infected individuals. If you're worried, hold your breath while near the vaccinator...

But get your flu shot and get it early.
Old 10-01-2020, 10:34 AM   #17

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlackDak View Post
Grocery stores around here have all installed glass or plastic boxes around the cashiers, they’re wearing masks, and are never close enough to touch any one.
We’re getting our groceries delivered.

But most around the US haven't and most don't offer home delivery. Especially so in rural areas where a lot of campgrounds are.

Those offering flu shots are ALL doing so under strict guidelines to prevent exposure and transmission of covid and those delivering administering the vaccine are tested frequently. Is your grocery delivery guy following any strict guidelines? Is he tested frequently? Is he a college student that attended a frat party 2 days age? Did he just pick your groceries off a shelf that someone without a mask sneezed or coughed on?
Old 10-01-2020, 10:36 AM   #18

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
I'm not a doctor, but the primary infection vector is respiratory and the influencing factors are proximity (distance) and exposure time to infected individuals. If you're worried, hold your breath while near the vaccinator...
I am and I agree.
Old 10-01-2020, 10:53 AM   #19

Yep, Sharon and I got ours the other week. The managing pharmacist even gave us a big hug when we were done! How's that for service?

But then she is our daughter.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Old 10-01-2020, 12:22 PM   #20

Wife and I got our Flu shots yesterday. Drove up, opened the car windows, gave our membership cards, rolled up our sleeves, got the shot and drove off. Less than 5 minutes, in and out.
Old 10-01-2020, 12:28 PM   #21

Oh man, this whole thing is turning into a doozie for all of us. I haven't been to a hairdressers since January. Yes I'm going out, avoiding crowds, social distancing more than suggested, mask wearing and sanitising constantly but .....

We like to think that all the protocols are in place for protecting us but in reality something ain't working. We thought Canada was doing pretty well by comparison but our numbers are spiking like many places around the world. Just in our local city and only ONE hospital we have had more deaths, more in ICU and a total of 290 STAFF!!!! in isolation. All surgeries are postponed. Remember that is just in ONE hospital not all combined.

Seriously if the hospitals with all their higher protocols than most public places can't get it right, one does start to question where we can and can't go with confidence.

Sadly this brute of a virus is likely going to be with us for I personally feel up to 3 years, and we have no choice but to live with it. I'm also adverse to putting drugs in my system but I do believe the flu shot when they get the strains right has saved a lot from misery over the past several years. Again the latter is always debatable depending whom you speak with.

Good luck OP on whatever you decide. I stopped having my standing order blood work for many months when this all started, finally I had to bite the bullet and just go.
Old 10-01-2020, 12:37 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbwr View Post
It's a personal health decision. My DW and I have been getting annual flu shots for a long time. I don't see where there is any downside to getting flu shots even though the effectiveness of the shot varies with what strains of flu pop up during a given season.

And with the Covid virus still attacking, getting a shot may help avoid contacting the flu and Covid virus at the same time, which would not be a very good situation.
it is a personal decision and we have decided to yet again not get a flu shot. we have done the shingles vax so we are not anti-vaxers but see little-to-no value in the best-guess flu vax.
Old 10-01-2020, 12:38 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladecreekwy View Post
Don’t get your medical advice from a RV forum
+1!
Old 10-01-2020, 01:02 PM   #24

Rexhall Owners Group
Get all the shots you want. Just don't forget the most important parts of staying healthy and minimize the chance of getting Covid 19. Social distancing, masks and washing hands. Because if the Covid 19 vaccine is as effective as the annual flu vaccine, then it might be 50% effective. Between that unimpressive percentage and the fact that a significant number of people will not get a vaccine there is still a good chance you could contract the Covid.
Old 10-01-2020, 01:24 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladecreekwy View Post
Don’t get your medical advice from a RV forum

Why not? I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Old 10-01-2020, 02:19 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
Why not? I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Old 10-01-2020, 03:47 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
Was heading into town to get a flu shot when it occurred to be that it was actually a risk for covid-19.

While taking precaution from being exposed to covid-19 I have avoided close contact with people who have close contact with many. For example, getting a haircut or vaccine.

It would seem that avoiding one virus would mean you are also avoiding similar viruses.
We are very cautious but you really can't avoid being around people forever. We go to the grocery (carts are always wiped down and everyone wears masks. We have a list and zoom through. Cashiers have plexiglass). We get our hair cut (everyone wears masks and you keep it on while getting the cut. Things are sanitized.) We've gone to Dr. appts. - everything sanitized, temps taken, good distancing. No concerns.

We just got our flu vaccines at the grocery pharmacy. The pharmacists administering wore gloves and was masked; as we were. No cause for alarm.

The flu vaccine is highly recommended by those in medicine. We've gotten it forever and have never gotten the flu. I wouldn't risk it this year.
Old 10-01-2020, 03:48 PM   #28

We had our shots about 10 days ago.
Closed Thread