Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 RVing Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2020, 06:59 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNC View Post
This walmart, I had to enter a small room with a door knob. The chair and the armrest my arm rested on for the shot, I didn’t know it they been sanitized. I also had to sign a release with a pen. All low risk contact surfaces but a little caution never hurts.
Very true!

At our Walmart the shots were given in a partitioned off area free of doors. The pharmacist filled out my form and I sat in a regular chair. Then she grabbed my arm roughly pushed my sleeve up and said "this is really going to hurt you bad". But then the pharmacist is my daughter.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2020, 08:27 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbwr View Post
For many years, when I was younger, I didn't get flu shots. And even as a teacher with exposure to students and fellow colleagues, I rarely got sick. But as I got older, illnesses started hitting me with a little more punch.

When I was 40, I was very lucky to survive melanoma. At one point, one doctor suggested I go home and get my stuff in order. I was very fortunate to stay on this side of the dirt and at the same time, a wonderful colleague at school lost his battle with melanoma. I only bring this up because it was the most life changing event I have ever been through, and such an event does alter your outlook on life.

Then, in 2013, at the age of 63 I had a bout with pneumonia and it really hit me hard. Since then, I'm happy to concede to the fact that I'm getting older, and anything I can do to improve the odds of staying healthy, or not as severely sick works for me. So, I keep up with the flu shots and shingles vaccinations.

And, I think that I've posted this info because, if you have been fortunate to very healthy without taking advantage of some of the medical advances available, just take time to think about how quickly one medical situation can have very extreme consequences. Most of us older folks tend to have "pre-existing conditions" that can make us very vulnerable to illnesses that weren't an issue when we were younger. So, just consider all the factors when you make your decisions regarding vaccinations, medications, etc.

Stay healthy and enjoy every day!
You are completely correct! I am glad that you have overcome your illness. It is impossible to predict any disease. I believe that vaccination is needed. It's not for nothing that vaccines were invented. I get a flu shot every year, and when the COVID vaccine comes out, I will definitely get vaccinated. No matter how much it costs, life and health are much more important.
Old 10-06-2020, 06:45 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay_B View Post
You are completely correct! I am glad that you have overcome your illness. It is impossible to predict any disease. I believe that vaccination is needed. It's not for nothing that vaccines were invented. I get a flu shot every year, and when the COVID vaccine comes out, I will definitely get vaccinated. No matter how much it costs, life and health are much more important.
I get a flu shot each year too and I have recovered from having COVID 19 back in July. I will also take the COVID 19 vac but just know that when the vaccine becomes available..... it’s supposed to be free for everyone.
Old 10-06-2020, 07:02 AM   #60

Is no one aware of or getting what is called the "High Dose" flu shot?
It is recommended for those folks 65 and older.
We got ours last week. Had a ache like a bruise at the injection point for about three days, then gone.
Old 10-06-2020, 11:44 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Very true!

At our Walmart the shots were given in a partitioned off area free of doors. The pharmacist filled out my form and I sat in a regular chair. Then she grabbed my arm roughly pushed my sleeve up and said "this is really going to hurt you bad". But then the pharmacist is my daughter.

If you want to have some fun, the next time you go to your daughter for a shot, yell “Ow!” when she swabs the injection site with the alcohol. When she protests that it was just the alcohol, tell her you were just practicing.
Old 10-06-2020, 12:41 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by NITEHAWK View Post
Is no one aware of or getting what is called the "High Dose" flu shot?
It is recommended for those folks 65 and older.
We got ours last week. Had a ache like a bruise at the injection point for about three days, then gone.
Yes, our shot was the 'senior' high dose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite77 View Post
If you want to have some fun, the next time you go to your daughter for a shot, yell “Ow!” when she swabs the injection site with the alcohol. When she protests that it was just the alcohol, tell her you were just practicing.
I've pulled that one several times now, I'm looking for a new line to annoy her. Even the other 3 pharmacist there all know my antics. If I have to be 'counseled' when taking a new prescription I'll ask them things like "do I take the pills with the writing side up or down". or " how does the pill know where to go when it hits my stomach" ? Well at least they haven't called security on me yet!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Old 10-06-2020, 01:50 PM   #63

I got my geezer flu shot yesterday at my local pharmacy. The pharmacist washed his hands and put on fresh gloves before giving me the shot. I had no concerns about getting it, I just wish it didn't knock me on my butt the way it does.
Old 10-06-2020, 03:15 PM   #64

Our 'geezer' flu shot was painless and no after effects. We've always gotten one. Why not?
Old 10-06-2020, 03:43 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
I've pulled that one several times now, I'm looking for a new line to annoy her. Even the other 3 pharmacist there all know my antics. If I have to be 'counseled' when taking a new prescription I'll ask them things like "do I take the pills with the writing side up or down". or " how does the pill know where to go when it hits my stomach" ? Well at least they haven't called security on me yet!

Try asking her if you have to get the shot in the arm.
Old 10-07-2020, 05:58 AM   #66

Mo Fred: I'm glad to hear that you recovered from the Covid virus and I hope you aren't plagued with any after effects.

Nitehawk: Just a few weeks ago, we got the high dose flu shot. I had a sore arm for a couple of days, and both the DW and I felt just a little "under the weather" for about a day afterwards. But, it wasn't anything that would keep me from getting a yearly shot.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
Old 10-07-2020, 07:19 AM   #67

Quote:
Mo Fred: I'm glad to hear that you recovered from the Covid virus and I hope you aren't plagued with any after effects.
Thanks scbwr. Both the wife and I had it at the same time in July. Our experience was mild and we have been much sicker in the past from other ailments. We are 68 and are now feeling great. Our sense of taste and smell is still somewhat lacking but continues to improve as time goes on. As I indicated above we will get the flu shot and the Covid vaccination when it is approved.
Old 10-07-2020, 06:05 PM   #68

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:

Nitehawk: Just a few weeks ago, we got the high dose flu shot. I had a sore arm for a couple of days, and both the DW and I felt just a little "under the weather" for about a day afterwards. But, it wasn't anything that would keep me from getting a yearly shot.
I got mine today and have the same symptoms. but it beats the flu.
Old 10-07-2020, 07:01 PM   #69

Grand Design Owners Club
Perhaps those of you who are medical professionals can answer my question.

I had COVID in March and when I gave blood in July confirmed that I still had antibodies. But there has been so much stated concerning the unknowns as to how long antibodies last and even if COVID can be contracted twice (either the same or different strain).

The question then remains: If there is no assurance that having had COVID gives one protection then what assurance would a COVID vaccine provide if the immune enhancing mechanism would be the same?

BTW I also got my flu shot because while COVID was unpleasant I find the flu to be worse.
Old 10-08-2020, 05:25 AM   #70

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluffinator View Post
Perhaps those of you who are medical professionals can answer my question.

I had COVID in March and when I gave blood in July confirmed that I still had antibodies. But there has been so much stated concerning the unknowns as to how long antibodies last and even if COVID can be contracted twice (either the same or different strain).

The question then remains: If there is no assurance that having had COVID gives one protection then what assurance would a COVID vaccine provide if the immune enhancing mechanism would be the same?

BTW I also got my flu shot because while COVID was unpleasant I find the flu to be worse.
Natural exposure is the only way a person gets immunity. The body does not react the same to vaccines. Thats why most require boosters.
Closed Thread