Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 RVing Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2020, 12:02 AM   #1

Should I get a seasonal flu shot?

Was heading into town to get a flu shot when it occurred to be that it was actually a risk for covid-19.

While taking precaution from being exposed to covid-19 I have avoided close contact with people who have close contact with many. For example, getting a haircut or vaccine.

It would seem that avoiding one virus would mean you are also avoiding similar viruses.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2020, 12:18 AM   #2

I usually do NOT get a flu shot.
Haven't had the flu since Jr. High School

BUT.....going back into hospital for more surgery in 2 weeks so figured I had best stack the deck in my favor
Got a flu shot couple weeks ago

NO...will not get a COVID Vaccine
Not going to be "BETA TESTER' for some unscrupulous drug company
Old 10-01-2020, 12:20 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Yes.

It's more important than ever to get the seasonal flu shot. You don't want to risk getting both the flu AND COVID-19. One has a vaccine, and one doesn't. I know Kaiser is offering drive-through flu shots, if you want to reduce exposing yourself to Covid inside a medical facility. Maybe other clinics are doing the same thing. There is virtually NO risk that a flu shot in itself, can transfer the C19 virus.
Old 10-01-2020, 12:37 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'll be getting mine soon. Would hate to avoid the Covid and die from the seasonal flu.
Old 10-01-2020, 04:58 AM   #5

It's a personal health decision. My DW and I have been getting annual flu shots for a long time. I don't see where there is any downside to getting flu shots even though the effectiveness of the shot varies with what strains of flu pop up during a given season.

And with the Covid virus still attacking, getting a shot may help avoid contacting the flu and Covid virus at the same time, which would not be a very good situation.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
Old 10-01-2020, 08:08 AM   #6

The downside to getting it is that you’re exposing yourself to the person giving the shot, who has been exposed to the hundreds of other people they’re administering it to every day.
Old 10-01-2020, 08:11 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scbwr View Post
It's a personal health decision. My DW and I have been getting annual flu shots for a long time. I don't see where there is any downside to getting flu shots even though the effectiveness of the shot varies with what strains of flu pop up during a given season.

And with the Covid virus still attacking, getting a shot may help avoid contacting the flu and Covid virus at the same time, which would not be a very good situation.
I second what he said.
Old 10-01-2020, 08:43 AM   #8

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlackDak View Post
The downside to getting it is that you’re exposing yourself to the person giving the shot, who has been exposed to the hundreds of other people they’re administering it to every day.
As opposed to the grocery store clerk who checks you out after being exposed to thousands of other people?
Old 10-01-2020, 08:50 AM   #9

I am a family physician. I would absolutely encourage you (and everyone else) to get a flu shot this year. Flu and COVID would be a very bad combination, and they are very difficult to tell apart. All health care facilities are taking stringent measures to avoid exposing healthcare workers and patients to COVID, so you would most certainly be safer going to get a flu shot than going to the grocery store. Best wishes, and stay safe.
Old 10-01-2020, 08:54 AM   #10

I have been getting yearly flu shots for years and I will again this year. I have also got my two pneumonia shots.

I don't know about a Covid-19 shot?
Old 10-01-2020, 09:07 AM   #11

Don’t get your medical advice from a RV forum
Old 10-01-2020, 09:37 AM   #12

I am getting it now that October is here. I will be wearing a KN-95 mask as I do when in public everywhere. Last time I missed getting a seasonal flu shot, I ended up in the hospital with the flu... No reason to risk that again.

NOT to mention, you getting a flu shot helps keep others from getting it from you if you get it... Others that may end up in the hospital.

I have been harping at my kids to make sure they get one for the same reason.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:41 AM   #13

I don’t see any downside to getting a flu shot. It’s a good idea, especially this year.
When I got my flu shot this year, also got the first dose of the vaccine for Shingles, which is called Shingrix. It’s a 2 part shot, with the second dose coming 2-6 months after the first. Some potential side effects include fatigue, feeling achy, and a mild fever. Since these are also COVID symptoms, if you work during the week, it would be smart to get the shot on a Friday afternoon. This advice was given to us by a nurse.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:42 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladecreekwy View Post
Don’t get your medical advice from a RV forum

But we don’t charge co-pays. [emoji3]
Closed Thread