RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 10:44 AM   #1

Social Distancing Scoreboard

See how well each state and county is doing with social distancing guidelines.

https://www.unacast.com/covid19/soci...ing-scoreboard

2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2020, 11:23 AM   #2

There is no evidence that SD works. Frankly I think it's a scam. We had the Swine Flu H1N1 in 2009. Nothing was done, nothing was closed, the president wasn't constantly attacked and we didn't SD. Yet the bug went away on its own. Yes, it killed 12,469 people in the US and there were 60 million cases nation wide but it went away without doing anything at all.

Have you noticed that the modeling being used has gone from 2.5 million deaths down to 60,000? Huh?

[Moderator Edit]

BTW the covid-19 death numbers are not truthful. The CDC has ordered the coding on death certificates to reflect death by C-19 if the patient only was exposed to it. We don't know and will never know how many people C-19 kills all by itself.

Old 04-09-2020, 12:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
There is no evidence that SD works…

…Have you noticed that the modeling being used has gone from 2.5 million deaths down to 60,000? …

Hmm…
Old 04-09-2020, 12:17 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Having worked with statistical modeling for decades back in the day, I always marveled how the 'assumptions' would be tweeked by those in charge to make sure the results came out closer to what they wanted !

You CANNOT predict a death rate over the general population UNTIL there has been sufficient testing of the general population !

Percent of deaths to those that HAVE it is one measure, but only if the death was JUST from covid-19...

And why don't they report the number of recoveries ?

I am reasonably sure I know about 10 people that HAD covid-18.5 or so back in the December time frame and it was labeled undiagnosed "Upper respiratory Illness" ...
My Daughter went from DFW to Detroit, Paris, Venice, Rome, LA, back to DFW in november-dec timeframe and had a bad cough for weeks until January - and NOT the flu...
Old 04-09-2020, 12:17 PM   #5

Quote:
There is no evidence that SD works. Frankly I think it's a scam.
I'm throwing the red challenge flag on this one.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
Old 04-09-2020, 12:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
I'm throwing the red challenge flag on this one.
I think what he/she means and certainly what I mean when I say, " it's a scam. " is;

If the only goal was to flatten the curve than it may have worked perfectly. To what end?

If the goal was to save almost incalculable lives than it might end up being the biggest failure of all time. I think it's going to cost lives in the long run. So far the experts say this flattened curve will go on for 18 months. Like their models; this is subject to change anytime.

So I'm throwing the double red flag on SD helping.

Retire 2020 GLW
Old 04-09-2020, 12:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
I think what he/she means and certainly what I mean when I say, " it's a scam. " is;

If the only goal was to flatten the curve than it may have worked perfectly. To what end?

If the goal was to save almost incalculable lives than it might end up being the biggest failure of all time. I think it's going to cost lives in the long run. So far the experts say this flattened curve will go on for 18 months. Like their models; this is subject to change anytime.

It sounds to me like you have been buying the dangerously irresponsible line of BS coming from your governor. His setting an extremely poor example by making a photo op of dining in a crowded restaurant with his family and failing to order or even encourage the citizens of Oklahoma to protect themselves and each other is criminally (or should be) stupid.
I was born in OKC and my asthmatic, smoker 77 y/o sister still lives there. I worry about her constantly. She believes in and practices social distancing as best she can but far too many of her fellow Okies don't and they endanger her life by following the example of your governor.
Old 04-09-2020, 01:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
It sounds to me like you have been buying the dangerously irresponsible line of BS coming from your governor. His setting an extremely poor example by making a photo op of dining in a crowded restaurant with his family and failing to order or even encourage the citizens of Oklahoma to protect themselves and each other is criminally (or should be) stupid.
I was born in OKC and my asthmatic, smoker 77 y/o sister still lives there. I worry about her constantly. She believes in and practices social distancing as best she can but far too many of her fellow Okies don't and they endanger her life by following the example of your governor.

No need to worry. Your sister is in as save a place as any. My mom and sister are in the high risk category. Luckily there are people like you and I that will help in any way possible. Many of our senior citizens don't want help. It's their right IMO. If this goes on for 18 months than why would they want to spend a large portion of their finals years in isolation?
Proud to be a transplanted Okie!

Retire 2020 GLW
Old 04-09-2020, 03:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
And why don't they report the number of recoveries ?
They who? As of this writing recoveries are 24,961 & deaths are 16,444. There are also 9823 critical cases of which 70-80% may die.

The numbers are out there. We will never be able to determine just how many may have died without the social distancing.
Old 04-09-2020, 03:24 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donskiman View Post
They who? As of this writing recoveries are 24,961 & deaths are 16,444. There are also 9823 critical cases of which 70-80% may die.

The numbers are out there. We will never be able to determine just how many may have died without the social distancing.
Thanks,
is that national or state or ?
and 'they' is whomever is spouting stats
I've listened to a lot of the media and not heard the numbers you posted or glossed over it with so many "news" reports..

John
Old 04-09-2020, 04:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Thanks,
is that national or state or ?
and 'they' is whomever is spouting stats
I've listened to a lot of the media and not heard the numbers you posted or glossed over it with so many "news" reports..

John
The numbers were for the US. They've already changed. Someone posted this link on one of these threads a week or so ago.
https://corona-stats.online/?source=2

It updates every 30 minutes.
Old 04-09-2020, 04:26 PM   #12

Quote:
There is no evidence that SD works. Frankly I think it's a scam. We had the Swine Flu H1N1 in 2009. Nothing was done, nothing was closed, the president wasn't constantly attacked and we didn't SD. Yet the bug went away on its own. Yes, it killed 12,469 people in the US and there were 60 million cases nation wide but it went away without doing anything at all.

Have you noticed that the modeling being used has gone from 2.5 million deaths down to 60,000? Huh?

[Moderator Edit]

BTW the covid-19 death numbers are not truthful. The CDC has ordered the coding on death certificates to reflect death by C-19 if the patient only was exposed to it. We don't know and will never know how many people C-19 kills all by itself.
So are you adhering to social distancing....
Old 04-09-2020, 04:37 PM   #13
EJW

Quote:
I am reasonably sure I know about 10 people that HAD covid-18.5 or so back in the December time frame and it was labeled undiagnosed "Upper respiratory Illness" ...
My Daughter went from DFW to Detroit, Paris, Venice, Rome, LA, back to DFW in november-dec timeframe and had a bad cough for weeks until January - and NOT the flu...
Interesting. I was just telling my neighbor today (from 20 feet away ), my 13yo daughter and I got really sick in early February after being at a national cheer comp in DC all weekend.

We both got the flu shot back in the Fall. We both describe it as nothing we've felt. I never take a sick day (as in the 10 years I've owned my company), but this flattened me. At night, I fried while sleeping. During the day I just slept. Dry cough.

Finally went to urgent care at my urologist wife's suggestion. Flu test was negative. PA/NP was actually a little dismissive of me being there. Said it was a cold. I wonder if we didn't get it and it was maybe floating around? Not a huge fan of speculating, but it's interesting.

Symptoms are person-dependent according to reports. My wife felt punky for 1-2 days and our youngest was fine.

My neighbor's friend went through the same thing around the same time.
Old 04-09-2020, 05:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
I agree! The theory is that by flattening the curve a ventilator will be available to save your life.

Bad news, if you are on a ventilator you are mostly going to die and if you do not you will never be the same.

SD requires me to take responsibility for people who refused to do it for others and themselves all their life. The case in point is a 77 yo asthmatic smoker. How many years in the work place did I have to put up with them thinking they had the fight to blow smoke in my face.

As far as SD goes I think I am very good at it particularly because I am full time in a MH. When I am not visiting friends and family, I am out in the boondocks.

Closed Thread