Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 RVing Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2021, 05:25 AM   #29

Seems there are a lot of opinions about the lifting of restrictions. The wife and I were just commenting, now that we have had our shots, we were ready to start going out to dinner, something we enjoy. We think that the wearing of mast only helps you if others are wearing them. We will check with restaurants and if they are still practicing the social distance and mast wearing we will visit them. Personally, I think it is a mistake to eliminate the restrictions at this time. Sure hope I am wrong.
hewebb is offline   Reply
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2021, 06:01 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacjetlag View Post
...Humans and viruses have been waging these "pandemics" for thousands of years.....this is the first to have manipulated economically and politically to such an extent. Some fear of this virus is rational, some isn't.

We can't believe everything we hear and read about this. The truth is somewhere in the middle.
Whether one chooses to use the word 'manipulated' or not, this is certainly not the first pandemic which has had drastic effects on our country economically and politically. The Spanish flu is just one example, but there are more.

As much as we are inclined to think what we're going through is unique or different, it's remarkably similar to how things have gone on the past. If only we could learn from history instead of repeating it.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply
Old 03-03-2021, 06:31 AM   #31

While the Governor has retracted the mask mandate, it does not say YOU can’t still wear one if you feel the need. Nor does it affect your decision to go to or not go to any establishment.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply
Old 03-03-2021, 06:53 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
How do you explain California and NY having above average per capita rates despite having far and away the strictest mask laws in the country? If masks work so well wouldn't they have amongst the LOWEST per capita rates?

EDIT - By the way, no one is telling you that you can't wear a mask. If you believe in their effectivness, wear one. Wear two or three. Wear them for years, I doubt anyone cares. This is about forcing people to wear a mask that statistics (or science, or whatever else you want to call it) seem to indicate simply don't work anywhere near as well as the "wear a mask forever" crowd want us to believe.

Things do need to open up in time in a gradual manner. Dropping all restrictions at once, as is being done in Texas is in my opinion, a bad idea. Granted I’m not an expert. However, I’ve yet to hear anyone from the CDC, or any other epidemiologist say that dropping all restrictions is okay to do at this time. I have heard many say that it’s premature to do so.

As far as masks are concerned, I don’t think anyone likes wearing them. What I don’t get is why people on one hand are outraged at having to wear masks, but at the same time are silent at having to wear shoes and shirts in the same places. What’s the difference?
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply
Old 03-03-2021, 06:59 AM   #33
JC2

Texas Boomers Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
I will continue to mask up and social distance per the CDC guidelines. They know much more about the virus and science than a politician.

Ken
JC2 is offline   Reply
Old 03-03-2021, 07:08 AM   #34

Living in Houston I am ready to get back to normal as long as people are safe. By next Wednesday 7 million will have been vaccinated. At least a third of the population has had Covid without issues. So 2/3 population already covered. They are now having issues getting enough people to get the shot that some areas have gone down to 50 years old and above. I got my first shot a week ago and since then have had three waiting list offer me vaccines. I am sure many people will continue wearing masks for another year for a variety of reasons. Personal choice. What a nice thing. I have RVed in and out of state over the last year as much as previously with out issues just make safe choices. Texas is safe to rv in but if you don’t feel comfortable that’s ok. Come when you are comfortable again. Once again personal choice not some government leading you like sheep. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Old 03-03-2021, 07:17 AM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gail View Post
You do realize that getting both shots of a vaccine does not make you immune from the virus . It only ensures you won't die from it , though you may get very ill and still have long term health issues , but you won't die.

So , if you do get it you could have a few different reactions.....

1 - Get mildly I'll .

2 - Get severely I'll .

3- Be asymptomatic , where you don't show any visible effects of the virus.

However , in all the above cases you will be contagious for a period of time and can transmit it to others.

This is the God's honest truth.

If what you say is true, and I am not saying it isn’t, then we are doomed to this disease for perpetuity. And China needs to be held accountable.

I will continue to wear my mask a few more weeks, just out of respect to you and others. But a few more weeks and I am done with Dr. Howdy Doddy and their infringement on my personal freedoms.

FWIW. Read about the history of Islam and why and how they developed the rules of women wearing masks.
Old 03-03-2021, 07:19 AM   #36

Nor'easters Club
Entegra Owners Club
Wow, I need popcorn for this thread! I wish all of the Texans the best of luck and I really do hope that everything winds up being so good that the rest of us can follow.

In the meantime -
Old 03-03-2021, 07:46 AM   #37

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I think one of two chains of thought, or both made the Texas governor do an "about face".

#1, Spring break is about to kick in. Just look at all the "Spring Break business Texas can steal away from some of the other normally hot spots. All bars fully allowed to open mask-less, and the party hotels with free flowing beer kegs lined up. South Padre Island here we come....

I would say if some of the northern states, especially universities knew their collage students were flocking to Texas for spring break party time, a 10-14 day quarantine might be prudent on their return. All at a time states in general are trying to have students return to the classroom.

#2, Someone earlier said this might be to "deflect" attention from the recent statewide power issues. Did Texas not remember their hospitals were on the verge of capacity last year. Do they not remember "other" states sending healthcare professionals to Houston and other cities as reinforcements. So just like the "We Don't Believe in National the Power Grid" We as Texans are not team players in combating this national pandemic.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply
Old 03-03-2021, 07:57 AM   #38

Science

Day after tomorrow my wife gets her second shot. I already have mine. We would like to travel from Wisconsin to Texas to take a break from the cold weather. Big Bend National Park was beautiful in the spring a couple of years ago. We would like to see it again if possible.

We question ourselves if we should go in March, or wait and see what happens in April. After April, Wisconsin blossoms. We will stay local.

We study advice from scientific sources. We follow news reports. We look up statistics on CDC and Wisconsin Department of Health websites regularly.

We have decided we will wear masks and practice social distancing until everyone in the areas we want to visit have access to vaccination. We will do this for possible contagious disease reasons and to provide comfort to others who feel threatened by the pandemic.

We may continue to wear masks depending on virus variants resistance to vaccination. We do not support use of force to make others comply with our views. We will not join mass demonstrations one way or the other.

We do support public health messages that use best available science to help people make wise choices. We expect messages to change because we know way too much about the Covid 19 virus is not known and we know it is likely to change is response to what ever methods are widely practiced.

Science at this time says "I don't know". Science says thing are probable or not. Science does not say this is true and none believers should be locked up. Science always says new evidence is coming and new conclusions are always possible.

Scientists are people like all others. We have difficulty saying "I don't know". We want to share knowledge. We diligently try to correct our own errors and the erroneous understanding of others. That makes us highly irritating. We often don't say comforting thing when social norms require it.

None scientists often do not carry the message of probable or possible forward when they repeat what scientists say. This causes lots of conflict. Tolerance for others is always called for and there is no excuse ever for lack of civility.

Consideration for others fears and insecurities is always important for our communities well being. This is the wisdom of the ages. I sure others can say it better than I.

I wish you health, good luck, and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply
Old 03-03-2021, 08:12 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
I think one of two chains of thought, or both made the Texas governor do an "about face".

#1, Spring break is about to kick in. Just look at all the "Spring Break business Texas can steal away from some of the other normally hot spots. All bars fully allowed to open mask-less, and the party hotels with free flowing beer kegs lined up. South Padre Island here we come....

I would say if some of the northern states, especially universities knew their collage students were flocking to Texas for spring break party time, a 10-14 day quarantine might be prudent on their return. All at a time states in general are trying to have students return to the classroom.

#2, Someone earlier said this might be to "deflect" attention from the recent statewide power issues. Did Texas not remember their hospitals were on the verge of capacity last year. Do they not remember "other" states sending healthcare professionals to Houston and other cities as reinforcements. So just like the "We Don't Believe in National the Power Grid" We as Texans are not team players in combating this national pandemic.
Our Florida Governor did an about face months ago.

We have a lot more in/out of travelers than Texas...

Our schools are open fully...kids are playing, sports too.

The "science" that portends doom seems to be at least questionable.

Safe Travels...
Twomed is offline   Reply
Old 03-03-2021, 08:29 AM   #40
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gail View Post
You do realize that getting both shots of a vaccine does not make you immune from the virus . It only ensures you won't die from it , though you may get very ill and still have long term health issues , but you won't die.

So , if you do get it you could have a few different reactions.....
1 - Get mildly I'll .
2 - Get severely I'll .
3- Be asymptomatic , where you don't show any visible effects of the virus.

However , in all the above cases you will be contagious for a period of time and can transmit it to others.

This is the God's honest truth.
Citation please.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:30 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
This to me is not political, it's common sense - (disclaimer - I live in Texas)

We're constantly told by those in favor of strict mask laws that seemingly go on infinitely that masks work, and that we need to "follow the science". Yet, California and NY have amongst the strictest mask laws in the country, and on a per capita basis, their infection and death rates are not significantly lower than states with less restrictive mask laws, and in some cases are actually higher.

So, looking at the "science" and not the politics, as we are endlessly told to do, if one place with strict mask laws has similar infection and death rate data as a place with less restrictive mask laws, does that science not indicate that the severity of the mask laws make little to no difference? Put in other words, the mask has done little to limit the spread, as indicated by the "science"?
Nice to hear from someone that actaully is from Texas.
I'm guessing many folks posting on this thread read the headline, but never actually listened to the Governor's speech.
He never said Covid wasn't still a serious concern
He never said you couldn't continue to wear masks
And he never said you couldn't continue to lock yourself down if you felt the health risk for you was there.

Part of the reason Texas can start moving forward is a pretty solid implementation and execution of the vaccine roll out. They got more jabs in the arms each day per capita, than my State did for each 3 week period. Thats a big deal.

I'm happy for Texas and these other States that are heading in the right direction.
SilverPlum is offline   Reply
Old 03-03-2021, 11:01 AM   #42

We spend part of our time in Florida and part of our time in Texas (family in both states, but we are from Texas), and the rest traveling. So we get two governors that seem to act alike with regard to Covid-19.

As an engineer I trust facts/science, and therefore I trust those that have spent years working in infectious disease research and prevention, especially those at the CDC and NIH where their only reason for existing is to protect us. Certainly they are still learning about Covid-19 (and admit such), but there is as yet no science to indicate we are definitively out of the woods, especially with new virus variants popping up (some of which the vaccines may, or may not, be effective against).

Many people are not going to act responsibly/selflessly and wear masks unless required to do so, and will therefore put at risk the rest of us who do trust the science and trust the experts. I often wonder if any of them would feel comfortable if they had surgery and knew the doctors/nurses would not be wearing masks.

I am reminded of the mayor in Jaws (last 25 seconds sum this up nicely):

hilgert is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
texas