Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 RVing Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2020, 05:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodekyll View Post
The OP's intention is to keep the hysteria level up. I have no idea what motivates him.

I'm the OP. I'm 70 years old, and I have diabetes, which I depend on two different prescription drugs to keep under control so it doesn't kill me.

I was personally absolutely stunned to discover that the drugs I **NEED** are quite possibly manufactured in China. I had just assumed they were made here.

I'll bet most people don't know that either, which is why I posted here. You know, so they can make informed decisions.

You say the infection rates are falling and the factories are reopening? Great, if true. I hope it is, but I don't necessarily trust that the Chinese government always tells the truth.

I don't happen to live anywhere near the Mexican border towns, so picking up a few months cushion of the drugs I need to stay healthy - correction, not become even more unhealthy than I already am - is not really an option for me. I wish it were.

As for the pharmacies not filling refills for strangers, that's admittedly speculation on my part.

If a pharmacy only has a little of Drug X left, and doesn't know when any more is going to come in, and knows that nice Mrs. Smith down the road, a regular customer, is going to need a refill of that shortly, do you really think they're going to sell the last of it to some stranger, or are they going to tell the stranger, "Sorry, we're all out."?

I guess you and I are going to have to agree to disagree on this.

In the mean time, do feel free to continue to castigate me.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2020, 05:50 PM   #16
tcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBRTRMP View Post
I'm the OP. I'm 70 years old, and I have diabetes, which I depend on two different prescription drugs to keep under control so it doesn't kill me.

I was personally absolutely stunned to discover that the drugs I **NEED** are quite possibly manufactured in China. I had just assumed they were made here.
Seems like it would be quite easy to find out where your medication is manufactured.

Care to share what medications, maybe we can confirm where they are made at put your mind at ease.
Old 03-08-2020, 07:55 PM   #17

Quote:

I'll bet most people don't know that either, which is why I posted here. You know, so they can make informed decisions.

You say the infection rates are falling and the factories are reopening? Great, if true. I hope it is, but I don't necessarily trust that the Chinese government always tells the truth.

I don't happen to live anywhere near the Mexican border towns, so picking up a few months cushion of the drugs I need to stay healthy - correction, not become even more unhealthy than I already am - is not really an option for me. I wish it were.

As for the pharmacies not filling refills for strangers, that's admittedly speculation on my part.

If a pharmacy only has a little of Drug X left, and doesn't know when any more is going to come in, and knows that nice Mrs. Smith down the road, a regular customer, is going to need a refill of that shortly, do you really think they're going to sell the last of it to some stranger, or are they going to tell the stranger, "Sorry, we're all out."?

I guess you and I are going to have to agree to disagree on this.

In the mean time, do feel free to continue to castigate me.
Well the article should have given you some relief, since your medications aren't in the classes they mentioned, and there's no indication that production any "critical" medications are in any way endangered by the virus. In fact, the article said that none are presently in short supply and none are expected to be. So where is the problem?

Besides, if China is the only source for something, and if there isn't any, where did Mexico get some?

But the real problem here seems to be that your medications MIGHT be Chinese made -- not that there's a remote possibility that pills entirely unrelated to your need could come into short supply if some perfect storm of conditions were met. That's not a problem you'll fix with a pill.

We'll agree to disagree on Mrs. Smiths' preferential treatment. It's too much of a stretch for me. Yes, I really think they'll sell it to a stranger. The same way I think the store next door to them would sell the last tomato to that same stranger. Why wouldn't they?
Old 03-09-2020, 03:24 AM   #18

Quote:
Well the article should have given you some relief, since your medications aren't in the classes they mentioned,

Did we read the same article? Diabetes medications were specifically mentioned.

"Many over-the-counter and generic drugs sold in the United States are made in China, including antidepressants, HIV/AIDS medications, birth control pills, chemotherapy treatments, and medicines for Alzheimer’s disease, diabetes, epilepsy,and Parkinson’s disease."

Quote:
and there's no indication that production any "critical" medications are in any way endangered by the virus.In fact, the article said that none are presently in short supply and none are expected to be. So where is the problem?

The article starts out with: "U.S. health officials have warned that the corona virus outbreak could lead to drug shortages."

And goes on to say:"U.S. consumers should not panic, but they have reasons to be vigilant."

But your position seems to be that those of us that are drug dependent for our health should WAIT until there are shortages before worrying about it.

Quote:
Besides, if China is the only source for something, and if there isn't any, where did Mexico get some?

Are you being deliberately obtuse? Mexico has a current drug supply, but might have a problem replenishing it in the future if the Corona Virus disrupts their supply chain also.

Quote:
But the real problem here seems to be that your medications MIGHT be Chinese made -- not that there's a remote possibility that pills entirely unrelated to your need could come into short supply if some perfect storm of conditions were met. That's not a problem you'll fix with a pill.
Boy, there's a cheap shot. If you can't win the argument with facts and logic, attack your opponents character. It's called Ad Hominen

You don't know me from Adam. How dare you accuse me of racism without any evidence at all?

I'm done talking to you.
Old 03-09-2020, 03:51 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
What this entire thing should teach the US is that we need to bring a lot things that we buy from China back in the US for us to manufacture.
Here! Here!

That means not buying from walmart, where all their goods come from.

Oh yeah, walmart wouldn't do business with the US manufactures, so they had to send manufacturing to china.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:21 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I've worked for both a pharma manufacturer and a major pharmacy chain here in the US. Just like a food recipe, most drugs have many ingredients. And quite a few ingredients are processed from a raw state to a finished state, ready to be blended into the final product. (Think cooking again.)

The source and path of those ingredients as they are blended into the final product is very, very global and complex. And yes, somewhere along that line a Chinese plant is probably involved.

Again thinking of cooking, the supply chain has a lot of product at various locations in that chain. Raw ingredients are one place, conversion of those raw ingredients are another place, blending of the ingredients to the finished product are a 3rd place. Then, once we have a finished product it is commonly stored in at least 3-4 warehouses along that supply chain.

Most drugs have a pretty long shelf life, so having a 6 month or more supply in 1 of those warehouses is not an issue.

Now multiply all of that inventory by how many brand & generic drugs we have for one medical condition.

Yes, there are some new drugs with limited options and potentially limited inventory. And some specialty drugs have extremely short shelf life (less than 30 days). If this is the case, you may want to talk to your Dr.

So, if you are on maintenance drugs (high cholesterol, blood pressure, diabetics, etc.) Just follow your normal refill schedule. Those drugs have a lot of options. And again, if you are concerned a lot, talk to your Dr about getting a 90 day refill a little early.

Finally, unless you are going to a Mom & Pop pharmacy, I can assure you they fill scripts in the order they are received. They are crazy busy and professional, so the large chains would never favor one customer over another.
Old 03-09-2020, 11:21 AM   #21

Quote:
Did we read the same article? Diabetes medications were specifically mentioned.

"Many over-the-counter and generic drugs sold in the United States are made in China, including antidepressants, HIV/AIDS medications, birth control pills, chemotherapy treatments, and medicines for Alzheimer’s disease, diabetes, epilepsy,and Parkinson’s disease."
Yea, cuz antidepressants, HIV/AIDS medications, birth control pills, chemotherapy, Alzheimer's, diabetes, epilepsy, and Parkinson's medications are over-the-counter meds. Your source is looking a bit less than credible here.

Quote:
The article starts out with: "U.S. health officials have warned that the corona virus outbreak could lead to drug shortages."

And goes on to say:"U.S. consumers should not panic, but they have reasons to be vigilant."

It says that it could lead to shortages, not that it will lead to shortages, or that it has lead to shortages, or that shortages are expected. How could it lead to shortages? Well, the internet being full of people saying to go get several month's worth of all of their drugs, and even cross international boarders to do it certainly would cause that shortage.
And yes, U.S. consumers shouldn't panic, but should be vigilant. That's always good advice, no matter the situation. Notice how it tells you that you shouldn't panic. If you're going to trust what that source tells you, then trust it and stop panicking.

That article is exactly the sensationalistic media that we are complaining about. Don't let them get you whipped up into a panic. Relax, and understand that the sky isn't falling. There is a nugget of truth in that article, but it's wrapped up in a blanket of sensationalism.

Quote:
Are you being deliberately obtuse? Mexico has a current drug supply, but might have a problem replenishing it in the future if the Corona Virus disrupts their supply chain also.
The US has a current drug supply, but might have a problem replenishing it in the future if the Corona Virus disrupts their supply chain. The US and Mexico are in exactly the same position as far as that goes. As it turns out, neither country has a shortage, nor is expected to have one. That's why the article you linked used words like "may" and "might". If there was a shortage, or even the expectation of a shortage, they would tell you so. They wouldn't have to use weasel words like "may" and "might". They would be direct.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodekyll
Boy, there's a cheap shot. If you can't win the argument with facts and logic, attack your opponents character. It's called Ad Hominen

You don't know me from Adam. How dare you accuse me of racism without any evidence at all?

I'm done talking to you.
Okay, that wasn't an Ad Hominem. Rodekyll didn't say anything about you specifically, and certainly didn't accuse you of racism. He did say that some of your medication might be Chinese made. Nobody has accused you of being racist, or attacked your character. We are addressing your argument, not your character.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:47 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchytoe View Post
It's like a bank run. Rumors of a bank running out of money results in everyone taking all their money out of the bank, which results in that bank running out of money. Well, if Bank A can run out, so can Bank B. I better get my money out of Bank B too... It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Now you have got me worrying that maybe I should get some money out of the bank just in case.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:26 AM   #23

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
Now you have got me worrying that maybe I should get some money out of the bank just in case.
You maintain a DP, "AND", still have money in a bank ?
Old 03-12-2020, 03:01 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
I got the lifetime guarantee with mine; didn't you!!
Old 03-13-2020, 06:07 AM   #25

Reading articles this morning China has begun to threaten US drug supplies.
Currently according to those articles, the manufacturing of ingredients used in the pharmacy industry, near 80% comes from China.
Old 03-13-2020, 06:17 AM   #26

Quote:
What this entire thing should teach the US is that we need to bring a lot things that we buy from China back in the US for us to manufacture.
I agree, even though I am Canadian I wish this turns into a lesson for North America to bring stuff back to our own countries and put our countries back to being independent.

After the videos I have watched during the first few weeks of this virus in China I will try my very best to not buy made in China. It is difficult and expensive but sai lavee. If I need it that bad I may not have a choice but in reality there really isn’t much I need. Medications may be the exception but until recently I didn’t know most of our meds came from there.
Old 03-13-2020, 07:09 AM   #27

Quote:
Now that is a fact

Kinda has a familiar theme

All critical drugs should be made/manufactured here
Old 03-13-2020, 07:14 AM   #28

Americans take considerable amounts of drugs compared to other developed nations

Might be a good time to evaluate what is truly life changing
Closed Thread