RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2020, 07:37 PM   #1
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The Great Barrington Declaration

An international group of doctors and medical scientists have proposed "focused protection" rather than locking down the world. I find this very interesting.

https://gbdeclaration.org/
okmunky is offline   Reply
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2020, 07:58 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
As always there are at least two sides to every story.

https://blog.ucsusa.org/derrick-jack...-herd-immunity
Old 10-25-2020, 08:04 PM   #3

The [Mod Edit] NYT admitted that out of 16000 tested in their 1800 public schools only 26 cases were found and that's staff and kids.
Agesilaus is offline   Reply
Old 10-25-2020, 08:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agesilaus View Post
The [Mod Edit] NYT admitted that out of 16000 tested in their 1800 public schools only 26 cases were found and that's staff and kids.

The amazing results is because of the emphasis on testing, contact tracing, and social isolation rules imposed by the NYC public school system.

This picture of Utah’s school numbers show what can happen without the NYC protocols in place.

https://coronavirus-dashboard.utah.gov/#schools
Old 10-25-2020, 08:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
An international group of doctors and medical scientists have proposed "focused protection" rather than locking down the world. I find this very interesting.

The problem I have with this concept is its all conjecture, no proof of viability anywhere in the world. There are no examples of success.

On the other hand there are proven examples of aggressive actions turning the corner and bending the curve of infections. New Zealand is probably the best example. But there are some good results in Asia that are viable comparisons to results based upon our reaction versus theirs.
Old 10-25-2020, 09:30 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Herd immunity

The problem with comparing the USA to other countries is that in most other countries the people are more regimented and use to being told what to do. Here in the USA most people resist being forced into conformity. This is evidenced in the lack of control of young people to follow directions and we see it in my home state of Michigan which has had strict control directives from the governor not being followed by a sizable portion of adults over the age of 30. While the response is better in my age group (72) it is certainly less than ideal.
I think the ideal would be a compromise of the two sides while leaning on the side of protection for the population over 60.
rfsod48 is offline   Reply
Old 10-25-2020, 10:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfsod48 View Post
The problem with comparing the USA to other countries is that in most other countries the people are more regimented and use to being told what to do. Here in the USA most people resist being forced into conformity. This is evidenced in the lack of control of young people to follow directions and we see it in my home state of Michigan which has had strict control directives from the governor not being followed by a sizable portion of adults over the age of 30. While the response is better in my age group (72) it is certainly less than ideal.

I think the ideal would be a compromise of the two sides while leaning on the side of protection for the population over 60.

I’m too old for all of this researching the CDC with an IPhone, 72 yrs.

But as I read it you’re missing over fifty percent of hospitalizations if the protection interest is the over 65.

So much for the protect the old concepts
Old 10-25-2020, 10:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post

I too find it interesting and worth further study. Us old high risk people continue to practice personal safety while the rest of these United States of America reclaim their lives. 11,109 medical scientists have signed this document so far.
A niece had this SARS-CoV-2 virus, she is 52. Three weeks later she was back at work as a nursing supervisor. Three doctors have told me if I catch this virus I have little chance of survival.

One analogy is bull-fighters, only the young survive, we older people stay on the bleachers.

As to the second link posted, I read the entire blog written by David Reichmuth, who is not an expert in medicine, which IMO is strictly opinion without attached signatures of experts in the field.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply
Old 10-25-2020, 11:01 PM   #9

Having been in Hospital 5X since Jan for extended periods (25 days, 7 days, 7 days, 21 days, 3 days) I can attest that COVID patients ran the full spectrum ....old, young, middle aged, teenagers etc

Folks need to get over themselves and follow protocols until this dang Virus is 'handled', 'over come', 'vaccine diminished'
Stay out of group clusters, MASK up, wash your hands

Neighbor.....74 old curmudgeon BAH Hum Bug attitude
Smoker, COPD, Pneumonia etc
He caught it....now home hospice care until grim ripper comes

Another buddy...mid 60's retired pilot but Nope/gonna go out/gather no masking up
He caught it.....seems to be improving but DOC told family he has lost lung capacity

Home Care nurse that was coming 3X a week...now just 2X month has SEVERAL patients.....old/young that refuse to mask
YEP...they now have COVID

Come on folks....it is NOT that difficult to Mask/Wash Hands
Masks are now even a 'fashion statement'
USE them...Dang it!
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply
Old 10-25-2020, 11:35 PM   #10
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Having been in Hospital 5X since Jan for extended periods (25 days, 7 days, 7 days, 21 days, 3 days) I can attest that COVID patients ran the full spectrum ....old, young, middle aged, teenagers etc

Folks need to get over themselves and follow protocols until this dang Virus is 'handled', 'over come', 'vaccine diminished'
Stay out of group clusters, MASK up, wash your hands

Neighbor.....74 old curmudgeon BAH Hum Bug attitude
Smoker, COPD, Pneumonia etc
He caught it....now home hospice care until grim ripper comes

Another buddy...mid 60's retired pilot but Nope/gonna go out/gather no masking up
He caught it.....seems to be improving but DOC told family he has lost lung capacity

Home Care nurse that was coming 3X a week...now just 2X month has SEVERAL patients.....old/young that refuse to mask
YEP...they now have COVID

Come on folks....it is NOT that difficult to Mask/Wash Hands
Masks are now even a 'fashion statement'
USE them...Dang it!
I agree! its just a mask- its not your gun- its not your vote--its not your freedom- and it cost almost nothing- to protect somebody's life.
Cat is offline   Reply
Old 10-25-2020, 11:39 PM   #11
Cat

Oh one other thing about herd immunity- you want to be part of the herd that survived
Cat is offline   Reply
Old 10-25-2020, 11:59 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Now that my wife and kids are gone I was going to seriously look for someone to hang with and travel with but social distance, mask, no groups, just everything has mad that impossible. I still got my Berners. No matter what they say, I think we will be out of this before spring, or not, or dead, oh well.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply
Old 10-26-2020, 01:32 AM   #13

https://www.bannerhealth.com/healthc...-herd-immunity

https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/e...ed-protection/
twogypsies is offline   Reply
Old 10-26-2020, 06:36 AM   #14

Wow... sorry to hear about some of the bad experiences knowing people who have had the virus. I know of about 20 people so far who have/had it including my wife and myself, both 68 years old. Two were hospitalized for a while but all survived. My lung capacity lacked somewhat after recovering but have since regained full capacity after a couple months and back to jogging again. The irony of it all is my wife and I were extremely cautious wearing masks and social distancing but we still got it from a close relative coming into our home who appeared perfectly fine.
MO Fred is offline   Reply
Closed Thread