Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 RVing Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2020, 07:55 PM   #29
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Thread Warning

Thread Warning

Lets keep this on the topic of "The Side Effects of Social Distancing"

There are other threads for the other topics being discussed.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2020, 08:34 PM   #30

Country Coach Owners Club
My wife and I are not living in a state of "chaos or fear." We are retired and continue to do many of the things we enjoy. We live in an area that is conducive to gardening and walking, and we typically walk together between 5 and 10 miles per day, as we did before the pandemic. We don't eat out as much, but we enjoy cooking and eating in, and occasionally we order in something for a change. Grocery shopping was always a bit of a chore, so we now enjoy having our groceries delivered and feel the small charge for that is well justified.

Yes, there are things we can't do right now in terms of larger get-togethers, but we certainly don't feel that represents any "hardship" for us. We are glad for the great gift of technology that has made it possible to stay connected with friends and family in ways that our forefathers in the 1918 pandemic could not have imagined. And, makes it possible to manage our business interests with relative ease as well.

One thing that has been interesting is my DW learning how to cut my hair. Once it became obvious that barber shops were at risk, I bought the best set of clippers I could find, and asked her to give it a shot. Kind of stresses her but it's gone fine, and I don't think I will ever go back to a barber shop again.

When out and about, I wear a mask to help protect other people from the possibility that I could have the virus and not know it. Some people find it onerous to wear a mask, but I might be one of those people you see driving alone in my truck wearing a mask, simply because it is such a non-issue for me, I forget that I even have it on.

There have been some surprises. I followed sports pretty avidly in the past, but now find I am not that concerned with any of them. I stay up on the news a bit, but have not watched or listened to any games thus far, and it feels just fine to me. Almost wonder why I ever thought they were that important.

Our coach is in the shop for a bit of touchup right now but this fall we will be back on the road following the sun southward.

This too shall pass. We don't know when, but it will.
2007 Country Coach Tribute; Cat C9 400; 2012 Ford Edge toad; Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 10,000 lb tow bar; Demco AF1 Braking System; 2007 BMW K1200LT Hannigan Trike Conversion; Member, IEEE, NFPA, PMI, NRC SRO (Ret).
Old 08-10-2020, 08:40 PM   #31

Biggest side effect for me of "social distancing" and specifically mask mania:

It made me realize how far gone my hearing really is, and how much I lip-read to understand conversation. Now I just nod and pretend I know what was said.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Old 08-10-2020, 08:52 PM   #32

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
It made me realize how far gone my hearing really is, and how much I lip-read to understand conversation. Now I just nod and pretend I know what was said.
Hmmm, that could get you in trouble.

Before I got hearing aids, I had to explain more than once that "Just because I was present when something was discussed, does not mean that I am aware of it."

Believe me, the good ones are expensive but they are worth every penny.
2007 Country Coach Tribute; Cat C9 400; 2012 Ford Edge toad; Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 10,000 lb tow bar; Demco AF1 Braking System; 2007 BMW K1200LT Hannigan Trike Conversion; Member, IEEE, NFPA, PMI, NRC SRO (Ret).
Old 08-10-2020, 09:23 PM   #33

The side effects of social distancing

Our side effects - buying new fly rods and fishing again, and buying an RV to go visit family.

My mom turns 90 in October and is about 1300 miles away to the SE. Dad’s 92 and still hanging on so we hope to see him in Oct too - they are just a couple of hours apart. Plan to take the mtn bikes and do some riding at stops along the way.

My wife’s family is 1100 miles NW and we will be visiting them in a few weeks.

We are both still working, so we’ve also invested in an AT&T unlimited non-throttled hotspot plan and have Visible (Verizon network) hotspots too.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:38 PM   #34

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I guess it could be said that healthy people find healthy ways to wait out this crisis and mentally unhealthy people slip back into old bad habits. Perhaps if they had not deemed liquor stores essential businesses some of the problems might be lessened.

My health insurance provider, Humana, has changed the co-pay on mental health visits making them easier for people in need. That’s a step in the right direction.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-12-2020, 12:58 AM   #35

I dislike putting mask on. But then I do not wish to catch the virus as well. I still put on a mask when I'm out, and I've been staying home most of the time.

For my own sanity, I guess I have been camping out a little more. Being closer to nature does keep me in a better mood. I still have lots of time to go, and I'm sure this virus will die down soon.
Old 08-12-2020, 06:57 AM   #36

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Is it just me, or do the masks make your nose itchy? Even for the first half hour after taking it off. I try to use my wrist rather than my fingers to rub it, but not touching my nose is impossible.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-13-2020, 07:39 AM   #37

This is the one post in this stupid section of the forum I will post to.
What side effects???
What metal health problems???
I am finding calm in the storm of stupidity and opinions that social interaction in today's arena creates.
No longer do we live by facts etc. and this forum has shown it all.
As I age I have become cynical and sarcastic due to these factors.
This is peaceful!
Old 08-13-2020, 09:07 AM   #38

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm glad to hear you are fairing well. Unfortunately too many others are suffering greatly at the hands of abusers who have nothing to do but sit at home, drink/do drugs and then beat up on the weaker members of their households who can’t escape them.

Maybe you can spread some of your peace to others.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-13-2020, 12:57 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
I'm glad to hear you are fairing well. Unfortunately too many others are suffering greatly at the hands of abusers who have nothing to do but sit at home, drink/do drugs and then beat up on the weaker members of their households who can’t escape them.

Maybe you can spread some of your peace to others.
Barb, without meaning to sound uncaring, but aren't we all where we are in life generally because of the decisions/pathways we have chosen to take?

I was taught that I was given a good pair of legs and feet to walk out the door if I ever needed to. Consequently I struggle with hearing of those that have let things supposedly get so bad they live in constant fear, or do they thrive on their situations? You can only help/guide/advise anyone so much - at some point they have to learn to help themselves and be responsible for their actions. No one has been singled out in all this, it's something we are all going through and how we chose to handle it is invariably up to us as individuals. Those that absolutely can't help themselves in any way shape or form due to genuine disabilities then fair enough we should be helping them tenfold. However for the majority ......

The saying you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink comes to mind. Of course there's always that very very odd exception that are in a situation through absolutely no fault of their own but it's very very rare in reality.
Old 08-14-2020, 03:20 PM   #40

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDay View Post
Barb, without meaning to sound uncaring, but aren't we all where we are in life generally because of the decisions/pathways we have chosen to take?

I was taught that I was given a good pair of legs and feet to walk out the door if I ever needed to. Consequently I struggle with hearing of those that have let things supposedly get so bad they live in constant fear, or do they thrive on their situations? You can only help/guide/advise anyone so much - at some point they have to learn to help themselves and be responsible for their actions. No one has been singled out in all this, it's something we are all going through and how we chose to handle it is invariably up to us as individuals. Those that absolutely can't help themselves in any way shape or form due to genuine disabilities then fair enough we should be helping them tenfold. However for the majority ......

The saying you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink comes to mind. Of course there's always that very very odd exception that are in a situation through absolutely no fault of their own but it's very very rare in reality.
I agree with you to some extent, but domestic violence is a VERY, VERY complex issue. Abusers are masterful manipulators that will threaten to do harm to family that is not directly involved if she (most of the time) leaves him. And you haven’t taken children into consideration. How does a young child leave an abusive situation? Many times the only peace in the house is when the abuser is at work. Too many don’t have work to go to now. Hence my concern.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-15-2020, 08:29 PM   #41

Walking around the campground and stop to talk or ask a question of the occupants and they walk out to talk...and get close...too close... so you back off to six feet and they they close in again and you back off and they follow you getting too close so you back off again. Finally it seems rude to keep backing off so you excuse yourself and move on. This ever happened to you?
Old 08-15-2020, 09:06 PM   #42

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
IMO- it is too early to really predict what long term effects social distancing will bring about. Some for sure. People are very adaptable to changes, or at least those that are willing. There never was and never will be any assurance that our social/economic/political structure won't have to change. Such a driving force could come take any number of forms.

There are those things we can change (ourselves), things we can work with others to change and some things we can't really do much about. No point worry much about the third category. Just let it go and do what you can.

Covid-19 in some ways is like a stock market correction. It will bring about real changes. Some things will go away that we probably did not really need. If we do need them someone will fill the required gaps for sure. The others are like cleaning our RVs of junk we don't really need/use any more.

I doubt we will ever totally return to life as it was say a year ago. The essentials will be there and perhaps the rest is best left behind.

But all of that is just my opinion.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Closed Thread