Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 RVing Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2020, 10:14 PM   #1

Thermometer Shortage

Getting ready to head back to the Vegas area from Shreveport to get the spare bedroom ready a new grand baby.

I thought it would be good to start monitoring my temperature because I not be going in the house if infected.

Could not find a thermometer so I headed out to find one. No luck after 3 drug stores and figured it was time to go back to MH cocoon and search on the internet.

Add thermometer shortage to the list.

On the positive side I did get one item off my bucket list. Where I grew up we did not have drive through daiquiri places. Waking back to my car I noticed the open sign. The state is under a 'shelter at home' order. Walked right in and at the counter asked if I was in time for happy hour.

Can't always get what you want.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2020, 12:47 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Did that in St Bernard just south of N’orlins a couple years ago. Drove up to the window, ordered four 40 something ounce daiquiris, put them in the cup holders and off we went to the campground. I guess as long at the top is on the cup and you’re drinking through a straw it’s not an open container.

Guess the thermometer thing makes sense - hadn’t thought of that, although I never would have predicted the idiotic TP hoarding either.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:07 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
I've been hearing about the temperature issue the whole time, but haven't used it till this morning. I was listening to a radio program this morning where a doctor was saying to check your temperature to get your baseline. 98.1 is mine.

Good luck with your search.

We just went under 3 cases of wine left. My son said to be prepared for at least 30 days of total shutdown, so we should be ok.

Just to be safe I'll get another case before the liquor stores close.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:22 AM   #4

Hhmmmm....time to go to harbor freight for an "Infrared Laser Thermometer"!
Old 03-24-2020, 05:23 AM   #5

Interesting in Denver, pot and booze stores are essential to survival and are now back open
Old 03-24-2020, 09:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGoose View Post
Got one of those for checking tires and TOAD wheel bearings.

While I have just started to trying to get a base line, I do not think it will work.

Any advise would be helpful.

Several times I have tried mangers that getting data using temperature instruments following ASME methods for determining confidence interval will not prove what they want. When I wrote the test I specified +/- 5 degrees but I was forced into 2 degrees. I could not meet acceptance criteria to end the test. After a month of running the test, I had enough data to show that natural variability was colliding with confidence interval.

If tires on the side with the son are 10 degrees hotter no big deal. If one tire is 40 degrees hotter, I am looking for a problem.

Bottom line is I am skeptical that I can detect virus infection to protect my family.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
Did that in St Bernard just south of N’orlins a couple years ago. ...ordered four 40 something ounce daiquiris, put them in the cup holders and off we went to the campground. I guess as long at the top is on the cup and you’re drinking through a straw it’s not an open container.

Let the good times roll!

Got out our two handed drink, on Bourbon Street when the family got gathered to celebrate her 'unhealthy' life style. It was not biscuits and gravy that got her, it was hereditary.

Of course, BIL and SIL have the same issues. The children are too young to have it become apparent.

It was reported this morning the first local death. A middle aged woman who had just spent a week in NO on business, did not feel well so her doctor ordered a test. With 4 hours of getting the test results, she was dead. No known underling issues.

Also on the news was a segment about supporting local businesses. The micro brewery will bring the beer to your car. With a straight face, the reporter state that beer is an essential beverage in LA.

The main difference between LA and NV is statistics. In LA they do not consider statistics when they let the good times roll. NV has an economy based people not understand statistics.

Just crazy.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:44 AM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGoose View Post
What do you set it to for properly reading skin temperature?

They usually come set for reading steel.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:47 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I think you need to “stick it in your ear”. How often I’ve thought about saying that.....
Old 03-24-2020, 10:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Interesting in Denver, pot and booze stores are essential to survival and are now back open
Pot was never my thing and my work had federal mandated fitness for duty requirements.

When not on call, somethings I would pop a beer first thing inside the door before checking the answering machine. There was often a 'crisis' but a beer in hand allowed me to resolve it on the phone.

The first stop for a friend when he retires is Colorado. He told me I should invest in pot. On the list of things I never expected to see pot stock and mutual funds with names like MJ and TOKE.

So for fun a bought 100 shares of cannabis something or other. The crazy thing it is the only one not in the red.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:08 AM   #11

Quote:
I think you need to “stick it in your ear”. How often I’ve thought about saying that.....
That's too funny. 😀
Old 03-24-2020, 02:26 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We are in FL for two months. We had a thermometer but even with a new battery, no workee. Over the course of a week, I had hit at least six stores no luck. Last stop was a CVS, they has an empty shelf save one $50 Exergen. It was worth it as we both had a cough, but fortunately no temperature.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Did that in St Bernard just south of N’orlins a couple years ago. Drove up to the window, ordered four 40 something ounce daiquiris, put them in the cup holders and off we went to the campground. I guess as long at the top is on the cup and you’re drinking through a straw it’s not an open container.
As long as the top is on and you haven't inserted the straw, it's not considered an open container. If a cop stops you and sees that you've just pulled the straw out (or still have the straw in), he'll get you for an open container. Otherwise, you're fine. I'm pretty sure nobody has ever removed the edge of the lid to get a quick sample on the way home. No no, I'd never even consider that. Strangely enough, I've seen cops pull through those places in their cruisers. It's kinda strange to see, but I'm not objecting. That's one of the few perks of living in Louisiana.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:25 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
That was a quick reversal. My SIL said the liquor stores were mobbed this weekend ahead of the closures.
Closed Thread