RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2020, 10:47 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
They were bigger than that.....

Ok this is really a confession, no matter how it sounds when itís done. Of selfishness I guess. But to get back to the start of all this, I was told today, by a friend of mine, that his friendĎs uncle of 92, just died. Of covid. 92!
My first reaction was: Wow! He won! 92. Covid be damned. But wait a minute. Covid? COVID? Only 92, going strong, and he died of Covid? He was robbed! Oh, he was in a nursing home? So what, he had some diminished capacities? So itís ok? No. Its not. He was robbed. He was robbed! I donít even know him. But he was robbed. I donít care if his highest moments were when staff did his toenails. He was robbed. By Covid.
So while we are all thankful that the snowflakes, gen Zs, woopystchupingdoos, WTFevers arenít all that susceptibile, and while most of the folks that died this year of covid would have died soon enough (Soon enough?) anyway, perhaps we should reevaluate, just a bit. Sheesh - who the hell do we think we are?
Uncle Whomsoever (yes, admittedly I dont even know his name) was just cut short. Regardless of what he had left. To me itís unforgivable and, as petty as it may seem, may even be, I hope thereís consequences. Just like my firendĎs friendís Uncle, I feel robbed. And Im more than a little bit irritated. So yes, blame me, but I want retribution. Payback. Something.
Unfortunately, its highly unlikely. More likely we will continue to sell our future to China, regardless of the consequences. But one thing we can do, right now, is honor the older folks among us impacted by this, and not write them off as having probably been tagged this year anyway. They wereĎnt. So letís not diminish their loss, just because of a little pandemic. They were bigger than that. And so are we.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2020, 04:54 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Red or white?
USMCRET is online now   Reply
Old 12-18-2020, 06:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
Red or white?
Are you offering cheese with that?

Seriously though, we have all lost something. Some have lost their lives and as the OP said it was too soon for all of them. We have all lost part of our lives. Many have lost jobs, we lost through government hand outs, unemployment checks etc. Yes they were necessary but that money will affect us in the form of increased taxes for years to come.

Think of the disruption of lives. Younger people have died from this virus as well. Children, wives, husbands. Think of the families who have lost loved ones.

We have all lost a year and likely next year as well.

So will we learn from this? Likely not. There have been pandemics before so I would have expected that most countries would have a plan. This past year has proven that none did. Why?
Xmcdog is offline   Reply
Old 12-18-2020, 07:11 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Thread Reminder :

Please keep the sticky in mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H
Please read carefully:
All Community Rules will be strictly enforced in this forum. Posts in violation of the rules may be deleted without notification based on the judgment of the moderators. In addition, posts that exhibit fear-mongering or other anti-social behavior may result in the authorís posting privileges being restricted. Please be especially cautious about posting politically charged content and be sure to report problem posts.

There has been a lot of very useful information and perspective shared here on this topic, but unfortunately also a good bit that does not meet our standards. Please respect your fellow members by thinking through this before posting:

- Is it true?
- Is it helpful?
- Is it kind?

Site Staff
https://enjoying-life.net
Spdracr39 is online now   Reply
Old 12-18-2020, 08:39 AM   #5

Yes they are.

My wife and I lived our lives the past 9 months pretty much as before but with masks in public, social distancing and limits on who we interact with. Weíve sacrificed seeing our children, 4 year old grandson and three week old granddaughter along with countless family and friends.

Why do we do it? Because it is the right thing to do to protect ourselves and others and in the scheme of things a small price to pay to get control of the virus, save lives and keep things humming along. Well some people complied with what public health experts suggested and some didnít.

Time has and will continue to judge those who tried to do the right thing and those that didnít. If we and I mean all of us had done a better job, our countries death toll would be much less and peopleís lives (health, family and finances) and business would be in much better shape. We could and Iím sure someone will write a book on why some complied and others didnít.

Letís remember the healthcare workers and essential workers that have sacrificed so much and the 311,000,000 people and their families in the US that have died because of this disease.

The sacrifices weíve been asked to make are nothing compared to the sacrifices made across the globe during WWII.

My hope is that we will all see the value of compliance and that those actions and the vaccine will help to heal the country physically, mentally and spiritually.
Funengineer is offline   Reply
Old 12-18-2020, 08:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmcdog View Post

Seriously though, we have all lost something. Some have lost their lives and as the OP said it was too soon for all of them. We have all lost part of our lives. Many have lost jobs, we lost through government hand outs, unemployment checks etc. Yes they were necessary but that money will affect us in the form of increased taxes for years to come.

Think of the disruption of lives. Younger people have died from this virus as well. Children, wives, husbands. Think of the families who have lost loved ones.

So will we learn from this? Likely not. There have been pandemics before so I would have expected that most countries would have a plan. This past year has proven that none did. Why?
From the raw numbers, countries that had plans and put them in place after the initial hit are in a much better place than we are.
Charming is offline   Reply
Old 12-18-2020, 08:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmcdog View Post

Every country had a plan. Some plans worked better than others.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply
Old 12-18-2020, 10:29 AM   #8

Even looking back at this there is no effective plan, worldwide. Spain literally locked their children inside for over a month, but cases went up as soon as they let them out.

Short of us closing all borders back in December, before China had even admitted to having an outbreak. And then maybe lock down all cities and states. Maybe Marshall Law nationwide? That would have solved it.

Yes, this has been tough on some. (I won't say all, because we were just asked to sit on our butts inside, not fight a war.)

The greatest impact, in my opinion, was/is the nursing homes/assisted living/etc. The staff there are underpaid, high turnover, tough working conditions, and mostly minorities. We have to get better at that; the rush is starting due to the baby boomers aging.
Old 12-18-2020, 03:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
Ok this is really a confession, no matter how it sounds when itís done. Of selfishness I guess. But to get back to the start of all this, I was told today, by a friend of mine, that his friendĎs uncle of 92, just died. Of covid. 92!
My first reaction was: Wow! He won! 92. Covid be damned. But wait a minute. Covid? COVID? Only 92, going strong, and he died of Covid? He was robbed! Oh, he was in a nursing home? So what, he had some diminished capacities? So itís ok? No. Its not. He was robbed. He was robbed! I donít even know him. But he was robbed. I donít care if his highest moments were when staff did his toenails. He was robbed. By Covid.
So while we are all thankful that the snowflakes, gen Zs, woopystchupingdoos, WTFevers arenít all that susceptibile, and while most of the folks that died this year of covid would have died soon enough (Soon enough?) anyway, perhaps we should reevaluate, just a bit. Sheesh - who the hell do we think we are?
Uncle Whomsoever (yes, admittedly I dont even know his name) was just cut short. Regardless of what he had left. To me itís unforgivable and, as petty as it may seem, may even be, I hope thereís consequences. Just like my firendĎs friendís Uncle, I feel robbed. And Im more than a little bit irritated. So yes, blame me, but I want retribution. Payback. Something.
Unfortunately, its highly unlikely. More likely we will continue to sell our future to China, regardless of the consequences. But one thing we can do, right now, is honor the older folks among us impacted by this, and not write them off as having probably been tagged this year anyway. They wereĎnt. So letís not diminish their loss, just because of a little pandemic. They were bigger than that. And so are we.
Look at the CDC's own, published scenarios. Very few of us are susceptible to this virus.

Does that make your friend's friend's uncle's death any easier? No, it does not. But, it should give you some pause as to how the US has reacted.
bentjm is offline   Reply
Old 12-18-2020, 05:30 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funengineer View Post
Yes they are.

Letís remember the healthcare workers and essential workers that have sacrificed so much and the 311,000,000 people and their families in the US that have died because of this disease.
Ummmm....311,000,000 have died in the US?
Is that what Iím reading here?
Old 12-18-2020, 06:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblas View Post
Ummmm....311,000,000 have died in the US?
Is that what Iím reading here?

Oops too many clicks. Sorry about that.
It was 311,000 yesterday. So far todays numbers are 313,000.
Funengineer is offline   Reply
Old 12-18-2020, 07:52 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funengineer View Post
Oops too many clicks. Sorry about that.
It was 311,000 yesterday. So far todays numbers are 313,000.
Population of the US is 331,900,000. I see you like numbers. I do too. They give clarity to the big picture, even though they fail to convey the devastation and pain that even a single case brings down on its victim and loved ones.

Per Macrotrends.net, using UN data and forecasts, US death rate for 2020 without COVID-19 deaths, was 8.9 per 1000 persons, or about 2.95 million deaths. The COVID deaths in 2020, as of December 18, project to add another 320,000 to that number, for a projected total of 3.27 million US deaths from all causes.

For comparisons sake, that is a combined death rate of 9.8 per 1000 persons vs the rate of 8.9 per 1000 without COVID 19.

The COVID-only death rate is slightly less than one tenth of one percent of the US population.

Again, by way of comparison, per the American Cancer Society numbers, about 606,520 Americans are expected to die of cancer in 2020, (almost double the number of projected US COVID deaths for the year) which translates to about 1,660 deaths per day. Cancer is the second most common cause of death in the US, exceeded only by heart disease.

The US death rate for heart disease, per CDC numbers, is 655,000 per year, or slightly more than double the projected COVID-19 deaths in the US.

Most of us have very close familiarity with cancer and heart disease. I lost 2 brothers and a wife to cancer, far too early in life. Wouldn't it be great if we could have a 95% effective vaccine available for these killers as well as for COVID-19.

I am thankful for the steps that were taken at the highest levels to incentivize and encourage the major pharmaceutical companies to deliver these vaccines on a timeline that some said would require a miracle to achieve.
2007 Country Coach Tribute; Cat C9 400; 2012 Ford Edge toad; Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 10,000 lb tow bar; Demco AF1 Braking System; 2007 BMW K1200LT Hannigan Trike Conversion; Member, IEEE, NFPA, PMI, NRC SRO (Ret).
Talloaks is offline   Reply
Old 12-18-2020, 08:52 PM   #13

Covid deaths has had higher numbers than other diseases in one weeks' time.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/2020...top-u-s-killer

We have now lost 3 close friends within the past month to Covid.
twogypsies is offline   Reply
Old 12-18-2020, 09:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talloaks View Post
Population of the US is 331,900,000. I see you like numbers. I do too. They give clarity to the big picture, even though they fail to convey the devastation and pain that even a single case brings down on its victim and loved ones.

Per Macrotrends.net, using UN data and forecasts, US death rate for 2020 without COVID-19 deaths, was 8.9 per 1000 persons, or about 2.95 million deaths. The COVID deaths in 2020, as of December 18, project to add another 320,000 to that number, for a projected total of 3.27 million US deaths from all causes.

For comparisons sake, that is a combined death rate of 9.8 per 1000 persons vs the rate of 8.9 per 1000 without COVID 19.

The COVID-only death rate is slightly less than one tenth of one percent of the US population.

Again, by way of comparison, per the American Cancer Society numbers, about 606,520 Americans are expected to die of cancer in 2020, (almost double the number of projected US COVID deaths for the year) which translates to about 1,660 deaths per day. Cancer is the second most common cause of death in the US, exceeded only by heart disease.

The US death rate for heart disease, per CDC numbers, is 655,000 per year, or slightly more than double the projected COVID-19 deaths in the US.Ö

Your ďfactsĒ are out of date. COVID-19 became the leading cause of the in the US earlier this month.