RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-02-2020, 09:17 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Things to do during Covid.

Our state, Minnesooota, is locked down again. This is the second time and the first one lasted several months.

As a result our motorhome has been in our barn since March, we are isolated in our very nice home on a lake five miles out of a town, but going stir crazy.

There are campgrounds that are open, but with the home schooling they are packed with women and children, who can now go to school at the lake.(Not a bad idea BTW).

Well anyway, I wanted to run the unit and get everything lubricated again, so last week we got it out and drove to our favorite greasy spoon in town that has magnificent burgers and fries, but only for take out now.

Problem with take out is by the time you get them home they're cold, so we parked in their empty parking lot, turned on the furnace and music, ordered take out, and when it was ready we ate our burgers hot and fresh right there. Then we drove the long way home.

It was a good day.
Kinda like a date.

Anybody else getting creative?
2002 Journey DL 36, 3126 Cat 330hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2020, 09:22 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Great idea guys! Where there's a will there's a way!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 11:53 AM   #3

I make it a point to get outside every day. Iíll either ride my e-bike, walk the dog or both. Itís getting a bit cool here to ride the bike, but Iím going to try and keep getting out.
Iíve noticed that people walking their dogs are much more chatty these days.
Old 12-02-2020, 02:12 PM   #4

Kinda like a date.
That's what our Dr. told us to do, arrange a date night once a week. She said it will help prevent boredom from interfering in everyday life during this pandemic.
We think up different things to do, rent a movie from Dish, cook a special dinner together, go pickup a prime rib dinner from Texas Roadhouse and bring in home, things like that.
Tonight we are having roast fixed in the slow cooker with carrots and potato's, ice cream and blackberry pie for dessert. Oh, getting dressed for dinner is part of the "date night".
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 02:55 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fed up with staying home for months. Left a month early to go to S TX for the winter. Had hard time finding decent parks waiting to the last minute. Doing much social distancing, take out at restaurants only. Almost no going inside stores, shopping. And this is in one of the worst states hit by covid.
Old 12-02-2020, 06:28 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
Problem with take out is by the time you get them home they're cold, so we parked in their empty parking lot, turned on the furnace and music, ordered take out, and when it was ready we ate our burgers hot and fresh right there. Then we drove the long way home.

It was a good day.
Kinda like a date.

Cooper, this is great! I read your post to DW and we both laughed. That would actually be fun to do. Unfortunately we put our MH in storage this winter since we decided not to travel south given the pandemic uncertainties.

How are things in Lakeville? I grew up in Red Wing. Had lots of friends and family in Farmington, Northfield, Cannon Falls etc.
2007 Country Coach Tribute; Cat C9 400; 2012 Ford Edge toad; Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 10,000 lb tow bar; Demco AF1 Braking System; 2007 BMW K1200LT Hannigan Trike Conversion; Member, IEEE, NFPA, PMI, NRC SRO (Ret).
Talloaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:44 PM   #7

Brilliant, and we would do similar if not "freezing" weather, just never thought of that = Awesome idea! We do take our MH with us for day trips to go rafting/fishing/tubing in the right temps within an hour of where we live. For a couple nights we head into the mountains even in the winter in our snow suits, and make snow angels, toboggan (sadly can't ski any more - hips/knees/back), and cook up a storm in the rig. Once a season usually does the trick on that LOL.

Good on ya OP for thinking outside the box. As for during COVID, our teacher daughter started up her own wood working based type business - Custom Rustic Designs, and has been inundated with orders for scrabble letters, towel and blanket ladders, ladder shelves, signs, xmas stuff and many other things folks have asked her to make. Now she has roped her dad into it with her = LOL. We've certainly been keeping busy.
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 08:21 AM   #8
IC2

From May through October we had our 5er on a seasonal site and spent at least 3 nights a week there but didn't make our yearly trips somewhere. In the last few weeks, been doing those chores that I procrastinated about all summer. The yard has been cleaned of the piles of leaves a dozen massive oaks present us with every fall, the cutters emptied, the 5er winterized plus a replacement window on order and the brake system ready for new hydraulic lines and pads. The Christmas decorations are up. I have some large pieces of wood in my shop that I'm about to make into small pieces. And of course, the two pups get a daily walk or several from us. I miss people though
Old 12-03-2020, 09:14 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
In the last few weeks, been doing those chores that I procrastinated about all summer. The yard has been cleaned of the piles of leaves a dozen massive oaks present us with every fall, the cutters emptied, the 5er winterized plus a replacement window on order and the brake system ready for new hydraulic lines and pads. The Christmas decorations are up. I have some large pieces of wood in my shop that I'm about to make into small pieces. And of course, the two pups get a daily walk or several from us. I miss people though

A man after my own heart. Our yard is cleaner than ever, all the honey do's in the house are completed and I have projects in my heated work shop to keep me busy. But I miss people as well.
Old 12-03-2020, 09:25 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talloaks View Post
How are things in Lakeville? I grew up in Red Wing. Had lots of friends and family in Farmington, Northfield, Cannon Falls etc.

Things are slow here in locked down Minnesooota. Lots of the small places are closing down. This second lock down is a killer for them.

I grew up in Southern Minnesooota but after the Army took a job in DC. In 1983 I transferred back to a job in Farmington. I'm retired now.

We go to Red Wing quite often as my neighbor and good friend runs a Red Wing store and museum down there. Prior to the lock down we used to go the Northfield for lunch.

We live closer to Lakeville although our address is Farmington so I am a member of the Lakeville VFW and serve on the honor guard as a rifle shooter. We do funerals and Memorial Day salutes. Recently we were allowed to do the service at Fort Snelling National Cemetery for one of our own members. They were so backed up that funerals had to wait almost two months to get the Honor Guard they provide. We were the first in the entire nation to be allowed to do that.
Quite an honor.

Well, I rambled, but you did ask.
Old 12-03-2020, 09:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Our state, Minnesooota, is locked down again. This is the second time and the first one lasted several months.

As a result our motorhome has been in our barn since March, we are isolated in our very nice home on a lake five miles out of a town, but going stir crazy.

There are campgrounds that are open, but with the home schooling they are packed with women and children, who can now go to school at the lake.(Not a bad idea BTW).

Well anyway, I wanted to run the unit and get everything lubricated again, so last week we got it out and drove to our favorite greasy spoon in town that has magnificent burgers and fries, but only for take out now.

It was a good day.
Kinda like a date.

Maryland here;

Covid created the Best Summer ever for Us - While we were all (Wife and I - Two Sons - one in Colorado one in Maryland - a hundred days with No Hugs from the Grands (6 young ladies) isolated at home for the first Hundred days - We started to try to find a way out - Solution found - It was in the Isolation Vehicle - the RV!

Colorado son had just purchased a Trailer and was dying to get out - Colorado had various levels of Lock down, so it was questionable as to if he could legally get out - Locked down and in - as time went on we could see the light and the chance to get out - Maryland son said he would rent a Class C and drive out. Colorado Son was all in. I just had to get a few things cleaned up and ready on the Coach to be ready to go.

So we all Quarantined - Easy for us as we did not connect with another person for over a hundred days - and Planned to meet in Yellowstone - Both son's were fortunate to be able to work from home so this was all Possible. With the Grand's they always have a Summer filled with Sports and Camps so this might be the only time we all had the time to meet and partake in the Dream Vacation. (MY Dream)

Colorado Son was able to get out of Colorado - son gets out of Colorado, grabs the trailer and Heads to the Empty Beach House in Rehoboth, DE - While they were on the East Coast we got everything together to head out - We were able to Grab one Granddaughter from each son and headed to Yellowstone, where we would all meet to explore for the Next 4 weeks.

Starting there and bumping our way from there to Taos, NM - OMG what a Month!!!!!

Returned to Colorado for another month before driving home for three weeks only to Grab my Brother from West Virginia and head back out to see the Aspen in the Fall for another Month. Did Catch up with the Colorado Crew for a Couple weeks in Buena Vista.

Now back Home sitting in front of the TV or the Computer - Not much fun - so planning on a way of getting south to maybe meet again in Florida with the Crew. We'll see.

These RV's Are really Great for being able to Stay Isolated from the World - Biggest Issue was the Lack of any Clarity or Common Sense from local Governments - Along with so many CG's just being Shut Down - -

So you asked - Covid was the Lemon - but the Lemonade was really pretty Good Stuff for us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7791.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	441.0 KB
ID:	310108   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender (1).jpg
Views:	9
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	310109  

Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 09:32 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wow! I wish we could do that too. Sounded great.
Old 12-03-2020, 09:45 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Kamloops, BC.

I have my shop to keep busy in. We both miss traveling, but retirement does have it's benefits.

We keep busy with little things that have been neglected for a while. Hopefully they will all be done just in time to travel again!
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 10:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Wow! I wish we could do that too. Sounded great.
Interestingly enough it was pretty easy - Wal*Mart is Our Friend - we would pick our stop in the evening - Wal*Mart - as we traveled - ordering ahead for pickup - so rarely needed to enter the store. We would arrive, Spend the night, Pick up our order at 8 and continue on our way.

We did this all across the Country - Then again in the Rockies as we traveled south - Using the Phone to make reservations and check in - we always wore the Masks and kept our distance when we met others.

When we arrived in Yellowstone, it had just opened and it was like the late Fall or Early Spring - few people little open - we saw Old Faithful with a couple hundred new friends - allowing us to Set up and have dinner in the parking lot alone - one week latter when the East Coast son arrived and we could not even find a place to Park to watch Old Faithful! -

Took a while to get into a rhythm - both son's needed a strong Internet Connection to work - that was a Challenge in or close to the Parks.

Stayed in Island Park and Victor to get into a CG with strong Internet - explored from afar, but the Girls loved it - they really just wanted to find a Lake or Stream to swim in - they are all just like fish. -

Long and Short is it was just Awesome - I would not trade it for anything.

Thinking you are likely ready to Hunker down for the Winter - but look to getting out when the weather Breaks - Wal*Mart will work - Boon docking works (Put 500 hours on the Generator) these Coaches are great for keeping away from others was easy - with a little luck the Covid 19 will be in the rear view mirror. Let's Hope.

Best of Luck,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7833.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	354.2 KB
ID:	310112   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7835.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	486.2 KB
ID:	310113  

Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote