Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 RVing Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2020, 05:30 AM   #57
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here is some information on campground closures. I am not familiar with this website, but it appears to have some good information.

https://www.campendium.com/camping/c...ZYtbdpmRLZiZQU
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2020, 06:08 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbikes1 View Post
...World wide the CDC reports this currently has a kill ratio of about 2.5%-not bad...
Not bad??

That's 20x the mortality rate of the seasonal flu in most years.

It's bad. It grows exponentially. Many more will be infected tomorrow than today, and those newly infected people won't know they are infected. They will all then go about their business infecting a new, larger group. And so on, and so on...

If 10 people are infected today, and each infects 2 people, in just 20 days we'd have over 10 million infected people. That's not an opinion, it's math.

How many days has it been since we had just 10 infected? This is much bigger than you think.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 06:44 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinfla View Post
We are leaving 4/11 for 6.5 months all over the US. I will not let the media driven panic alter my plans.
Just wondering if developments during the past 5 or 6 days have altered your thinking or plans?

California's governor just predicted that up to half of the residents there could be infected soon. I also heard that several States will make announcements by Sunday that all residents should stay in their homes and not go to work, exceptions for first responders, grocery store employees, etc.

As more tests come back and deaths start to sky rocket in this country eventually everyone will come to the same conclusion. 2020 will be one of the worse years most of the current American population has ever experienced.

So "media driven panic" will not alter your plans my friend, but widespread death and suffering certainly will.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 06:46 AM   #60

I live in PA and our governor just closed all non-life sustaining businesses until further notice. All state parks and most federal parks are also closed, or only open for outside use. That means the only stores open are gas stations, grocery stores, and pharmacies. The area campgrounds were open without amenities and online registration or night registration only, no office visits. Now, they would probably close too. I imagine other states will follow suit shortly, so why would anyone risk driving into such a mess? I will be staying home till this blows over and take a grand trip then.
bird6465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 07:14 AM   #61

Oh well, the decision was made for us. No flights out of Bermuda till april 6th at least. We were booked for April 8th but AA has cancelled their services till early May.

Stuck in Bermuda. Yeah I hear all the sympathy from you all. We have been on The Rock since November & I have not been on a beach or had a rum swizzle yet. It has been 4 months of house maintenance & some major boat fiberglass work.

Right now we are delaying departure by 2 weeks & looking at alternate ways of getting to our truck & trailer in MD.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 07:22 AM   #62

Not 5 mins ago just read where Texas is not implementing even the basic guidelines for the virus.....well pilgrim *not my choice* THEY ARE GOING WITH...LETS SEE WHAT HAPPENS THEORY.....
BOSTONBERNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 07:30 AM   #63

Travel Or Not?

None of us have been thru a worldwide pandemic of this proportion EVER. Things are evolving on an hourly basis. No one knows how bad it will get or when it will subside or end. If you decide to travel, you may very likely end up "marooned" somewhere that you don't want to be, and for much longer than you would like. It is time for an honest analysis of 'risk/reward' ratio.
jimheiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 07:32 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSTONBERNIE View Post
Not 5 mins ago just read where Texas is not implementing even the basic guidelines for the virus.....well pilgrim *not my choice* THEY ARE GOING WITH...LETS SEE WHAT HAPPENS THEORY.....
Schools, dine in restaurants, and bars are closed. Not enough but those are basic I would say. Unfortunately some people are just taking longer to accept this for the emergency it is and we're all going to pay a price for that.
0rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 07:41 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
Not bad??

That's 20x the mortality rate of the seasonal flu in most years.

It's bad. It grows exponentially. Many more will be infected tomorrow than today, and those newly infected people won't know they are infected. They will all then go about their business infecting a new, larger group. And so on, and so on...

If 10 people are infected today, and each infects 2 people, in just 20 days we'd have over 10 million infected people. That's not an opinion, it's math.

How many days has it been since we had just 10 infected? This is much bigger than you think.

My misplaced thought was that 2.5 % death rate was much better than Italy's 10%. SO, Yes I do agree that over this is very very bad and thanks for pointing that out.
Something we miss in the math is this is all based on who has been tested. I think it is safe the actual numbers of non tested infection and therefore death rates are higher
jbikes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 07:44 AM   #66

Winnebago Owners Club
I’d cancel if I were you. San Antonio is effectively closed. Other places surely are as well. We were supposed to be at the Texas coast today, but cancelled on the day we were to leave. I could see my wife was very anxious about going and when I agreed to cancel she was extremely relived.

We had already loaded the RV and due to leave in a couple of hours when I said let’s not go.

When I called the two campgrounds to cancel, one state park and one RV resort, the folks I spoke with both said they thought it was a good thing to cancel.
Old 03-20-2020, 07:46 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
Just wondering if developments during the past 5 or 6 days have altered your thinking or plans?
As a matter of fact, yes it has. I am mostly concerned with campground closures, fuel availability, and food availability. That and the possibility of being stuck somewhere without a way out. I'd hate to be out in Oregon and find out all my future campsites are closed. I am monitoring it several times a day and will make decisions as to canceling part or most of the trip early April.
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 08:06 AM   #68

COVID 19 is real, but the response was "batty", comically inadequate and even after it started fulminating, farcical at best.

Don't we have a huge "observation" network which saw up close what was happening in China and South Korea, WTH were they thinkin not processing the info and getting ready. Science simple science or at the least commonsense would have dictated a better response to control the danger perhaps even eliminate it.

No masks, no temp taking, so is there really any drive being undertaken to control it. Mask on a sick person will contain the sputum, mask on a well person will prevent the same from being ingested or inhaled. Next logical step would be goggles etc all the way to bubble space suit.

But looking at the Global spread pattern, it does seem that the virus does not like hot weather, so perhaps as the winter of discontent turns into spring and the spread of common sense and decency we will see this thing wither away.
If you are immune system compromised due to other factors or if you are taking immune system suppressants, its time to be ultra careful and consult your physician.

Smithsonian is still closed, but many National parks have been ordered open after the first lady tweeted the go camping in the wilds to avoid this thing.

Hope we do not give it to the wild animals and then the thing will really go wild, they may even have to restart the draft! to boost the number of soldiers serving the country and honoring the constitution, available to fight this thing.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:03 AM   #69

The States have taken the lead (as it should be) in dictating what should be closed and what can stay open; and in this regard there's not uniform guidance. Most restaurants are closed to eat-in service, but are open for take-out. Campgrounds (private vs. public and dispersed vs amenities) are hit or miss. I haven't seen any reports of gas shortages, just TP.

I think anyone who wants to travel can take reasonable precautions for not spreading this virus; i.e., maintaining social distance. This is especially true if you plan on boondocking.
xrcris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 09:30 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventana LE View Post
We have a trip scheduled 4/2 for a month. The highlites are several days each in Waco, San Antonio, Houston, New Orleans, the Florida panhandle, Ft Meyers & Daytona. The wife says we need to cancel due to the Covid-19 problem. Deep down I feel she's correct but I'm having a hard time starting the cancellation process. We are 70 and 65 respectively with no underlying health concerns. Thoughts would be appreciated.
My doctor asked me if I got sick, where would I want to be hospitalized?
Gearhead56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel