Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 RVing Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2020, 11:10 PM   #71

I'm not a math expert by any stretch, and those that are feel free to correct me. Based on this website:

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/a...23467b48e9ecf6

... I came up with the world wide ~3.4% mortality rate by dividing the Total Deaths by the Total Confirmed cases.

Based on the limited number of people in the US that have been tested, and I've been hearing someone that gets infected does not see symptoms for a week or two, I suspect we'll see numbers jump once the testing kits come out in bulk.

Take the appropriate precautions and stay safe out there folks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2020, 11:14 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
I'm not a math expert by any stretch, and those that are feel free to correct me. Based on this website:

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/a...23467b48e9ecf6

... I came up with the world wide ~3.4% mortality rate by dividing the Total Deaths by the Total Confirmed cases.
Yea, that's the problem. We don't yet have a reliable way to confirm infection globally. We can confirm deaths, but not infections. It's too early to claim mortality rates as every calculation will be based on too few infections. Death count is probably pretty close to accurate, but not infection count.
Old 03-08-2020, 11:21 PM   #73

:: Dig a hole......jump in.....pull it in over you. Come out next Christmas. ::

As a retired public officer -- who stays connected, my view is the only pandemic / epidemic is the SCREAMING media, trying to scare as many as possible.......to stay tuned.

Wash your hands, as you normally would, and GET ON WITH LIFE.
Old 03-08-2020, 11:34 PM   #74

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Based on what we see on TV news we’re going under our bed with all of our toilet paper till spring. DW is keen on postponing or cancelling our spring tour.
TV news should have a disclaimer at the beginning of each show - Warning what you are about to see has some truth to it but the negative aspects of the story have been greatly exaggerated
Old 03-09-2020, 01:13 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
We were heeded to Cherry Hills in Washington DC in May and planned to use shuttles, subways and buses to get around DC. I'm in the risk window so we CXL and changed our plans to trip to Colorado and do some 4 wheeling instead.

We are also signed up for Tucson FMCA rally and so far we still planning to attend.
People at risk for serious illness from COVID-19 (from the CDC)
Old 03-09-2020, 06:12 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by picker View Post
:: Dig a hole......jump in.....pull it in over you. Come out next Christmas. ::

As a retired public officer -- who stays connected, my view is the only pandemic / epidemic is the SCREAMING media, trying to scare as many as possible.......to stay tuned.

Wash your hands, as you normally would, and GET ON WITH LIFE.
I have a new neighbor that is a retired Police officer. He now works for the Federal government dealing with disasters (hurricanes, earthquakes, tornadoes, etc). What he does I do not know. He was recently sent to Seattle which his wife is not too happy about. From what I understand he is there to help with some deliveries and will come back home. He is not concerned about the virus, but this is different than his normal duties. This info is per his wife.

I do not know how he will treat any possible quarantine, but we will avoid him being we are leaving on a trip soon.
Old 03-09-2020, 06:27 AM   #77

covid-19

This is not simply the flu, the initial symptoms may act like it but it is far more serious for those over 50-55 . The flu normally affects the very young and the older population , this virus appears to target the older population disproportionately .

In a study by the National Health Commission (NHC) of China, men had a death rate of 2.8% while women had a death rate of 1.7%.[93] In those under the age of 50 the risk of death is less than 0.5% while in those over the age of 70 it is more than 8%.[93] No deaths had occurred under the age of 10 as of 26 February 2020.[9

Our son is a primary care MD, a professor at a Med college and the head of the Global Health program at a major hospital. Because of our age he has advised us to keep close tabs on the Covid-19 cases for any cases in our county and basically quarantine ourselves until it is over.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:32 AM   #78

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
As I am getting closer and closer to my departure date in a few weeks I am wondering if this will affect my plans that I had been planning for years for this 3 1/2 month long trip. Has anyone noticed any campgrounds/RV park, SP's, NP's, etc. making any changes?
Yes I would still go, Just take care and try to operate in the guidelines for limiting transmission. As for the flu you need to remember that there is a vaccine to slow its progression and effects where there is not one yet for covid-19. Also the flu has made its rounds where Covid-19 has not so you really can't compare. The question is will you be any "safer" at home than traveling in your RV. I would guess not really. I would however make sure that you have medical coverage where ever you travel.
Old 03-09-2020, 08:01 AM   #79

Slow news period so this is the current bandwagon
Old 03-09-2020, 08:34 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
As I am getting closer and closer to my departure date in a few weeks I am wondering if this will affect my plans that I had been planning for years for this 3 1/2 month long trip. Has anyone noticed any campgrounds/RV park, SP's, NP's, etc. making any changes?
Nope. I personally think that with just 164 reported cases in a country with 300M people, it is purely a media spread virus.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:31 AM   #81

Country Coach Owners Club
I've been putting off commenting because there are multiple reasons people do not want to recognize this situation. A few things are different about this virus. It is highly contagious in it's early stages. That is the big one. In other words, the way things work is that the virus hits a region and is caught by many folks. Most get over it. Sooner or later someone gets ill enough to go to the emergency room and after testing, the virus is "declared" present in that area. It has already been present for quite some time. The loved ones at risk have already been exposed by healthcare workers, friends and relatives. So if you are not a person who is at risk keep in mind your loved ones are. Ignoring this situation hoping the economy won't tank or that your 401K won't plummet is an exercise in futility.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:44 AM   #82

Reminds me of that song, "It's the end of the world as we know it, but I feel fine"
Old 03-09-2020, 02:37 PM   #83

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Precautions

A number of organizations are providing warnings of what to do and what not to do to minimize exposure while traveling. Most are sensible ideas that we should be following anyway: make sure surfaces are clean, wash hands frequently, use a hand sanitizer if you can locate some. Some are precautions to take specifically when traveling. The virus most seriously effects weak immune systems, older people, and people who wait too long to get checked out by a doctor. Several local doctors have opened a second waiting room, one for patients with possible symptoms and one for those without. We are coming up to the end of our winter trek to Arizona and made plans to travel to Washington and Oregon before possibly making a run down the Mississippi River. We are staying informed on where the outbreaks are, how severe they are, and how rapidly the virus is spreading. We don't think people should start building secure underground shelters yet, but there some precautions are common sense until we all get a handle on this. We have decided to extend our stay in Arizona for another month to see how all of this further develops, then we will either continue or revise our travel plans. I am at the mid point of an Amtrak trip from Tucson to Savannah, GA with my return scheduled to begin this Friday (the 13th). Three trains are involved in each direction with intermediate stops in Chicago and Washington, DC. Honestly, I am not concerned about being in a sleeping compartment or using the dining car, but on the last outgoing leg I was in a crowded coach section and was admittedly concerned as all of the coach seats were taken, making these cars pretty crowded. Both the Chicago and Washington, DC stations were very crowded and that also was a little disconserting. The odds of catching this are very small and the odds of successful treatment are very good, but it's like so much else. You never know when it will be your turn. We will continue to watch how all of this develops, remain vigilant, plan accordingly, and not take it lightly. I suggest that you do the same.
Old 03-09-2020, 02:52 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peep99 View Post
This is no joke people. 229 deaths just today. Remember, it takes 4-6 weeks for the virus to kill a person. So that means they were walking around for up to 6 weeks earlier spreading.
The incubation period is 1 to 14 days, and they say most people get it within about 5 days of exposure. I talked to a few doctors including my nephew's wife, and most of the medical community thinks it's been in America for quite a while already, but because we have so few tests for it they have no idea how many folks are infected. Many have probably already had it and got over it and just gone on with their life. Once the tests are widely available you're going to see a huge surge in the number of reported cases.

In fact my nephew's wife the doctor is currently ill, and she can't tell if she has it or not because her office has no tests, or even masks. And this isn't in a poverty area, this is Santa Barbara.
Closed Thread