Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 RVing Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2021, 12:30 PM   #1

US extends border closure again

LOOKS LIKE WE STORE THE RV AND WINTER IN ONTARIO AGAIN

ReutersReuters

U.S. extends travel restrictions at Canada, Mexico borders
Mon., September 20, 2021, 10:25 a.m.·1 min read

WASHINGTON, Sept 20 (Reuters) - The United States on Monday said it will extend restrictions at its land borders with Canada and Mexico that bar nonessential travel such as tourism by foreigners despite Ottawa's decision to open its border to vaccinated Americans.

Canada on Aug. 9 began allowing fully vaccinated U.S. visitors for nonessential travel. The United States has continued to extend the extraordinary restrictions on Canada and Mexico on a monthly basis since March 2020, when they were imposed to address the spread of COVID-19.

The latest monthly extension goes through Oct. 21, White House COVID-19 coordinator Jeff Zients told reporters Monday. (Reporting by David Shepardson, Editing by Franklin Paul)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2021, 06:00 PM   #2

Canadian Snowbird Ass. e mailed me this morning with the latest , good thing the travel medical I bought is fully refundable and doesn't start till the 27th of OCT. , so if they extend again I'll be on the phone .

There were some rumblings that US Homeland Security was looking at a period other than a full month extension , I guess that never came about.

DW already packing , says she'll fly down , but with no place to stay and nothing to drive ,and $$$$$, she could spend more for a month south than we usually spend in five.
I'm hoping I can talk her down.
Fingers crossed for an 21 Oct opening .
Old 09-22-2021, 07:21 AM   #3

land border closures are ridiculous

I have never seen such stupid rulings as the land border closures. It's like making a law with full of holes. Why can someone fly in safely and not drive in?

There are businesses created and cashing in on this trend. Some folks deliver RVs across border, fly you the short 30 minute flight from St-Hubert to Plattsburgh NY, get you the covid tests you need for crossing to the USA. The same day you will be in your RV driving down t Florida or wherever, but it will CO$T you. Add 1200-2200$ for 2 adults on average...all that for a 30 minute section of roads that are bypassed. Totally crazy!

With the pandemic more or less out of control in the southern states, we will pass on the USA yet again this year. I think I have the covid blues, nowhere (safe) to go but home.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-22-2021, 12:46 PM   #4

When would be the latest you could cancel your reservations and get a full refund on deposits per CG cancellation policies?
Old 09-22-2021, 01:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW22r View Post
When would be the latest you could cancel your reservations and get a full refund on deposits per CG cancellation policies?
That is going to vary by the RV park , and one would have to read their ; policy paperwork carefully ; lost my deposit last year even with 45 days notice , park upped their deposit required from $50 to 1/2 month's rent for this year ( which I paid and have probably lost too ) increase was probably an attempt to stay afloat as they lost approx 40% of their business with only 3 Canadian couples able to get to their units stored at the park.

EDIT: My neighbor was one of the Canadian couples that did get to the park , he said my site that I normally stay in for 5 months , was occupied for only 3 nights last season.
Old 09-22-2021, 02:47 PM   #6

[QUOTE=kdauto;5923435]I have never seen such stupid rulings as the land border closures. It's like making a law with full of holes. Why can someone fly in safely and not drive in?

We've tried to understand some rhyme and reason in all this, and there doesn't seem to be any on most rulings the past 18 months.

However, one thing we do know for sure, is that with land border crossings versus flying, pre-COVID, there were an absolute ton of Canadians that would drive over the border for an hour or two on a consistent basis, to get cheaper gas, certain groceries and so on with Canada being so much more expensive. Typically, unless for a business meeting for the day, most flyers tend to go for much longer periods of time. Do you think they are trying to limit the amount of mixing from excessive volumes of "day trippers"? I don't know, but it's all we can think of in the reasoning that makes any sense for applying the closure against Canadians going south.

For sure those of us self contained in our RV's, typically don't mingle in crowds for the most part so one would assume are far, far safer bets than most, alas, they don't specify one type of motorist from another crossing.

Sadly we've personally made the call like most, to forego our future out of country plans until hopefully whether next year or 5 years from now things make more sense. Well .............. hopefully!!

Happy Travels to all those confident and able to still enjoy and pursue.
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-22-2021, 04:07 PM   #7

Consider a condo rental in the south of Spain or Italy for 3 months. (Max stay) We spent part of a winter in the Malaga area. Gorgeous. Lots to do in the area. Rental cars are cheap. Spend a week in Morocco or check out Lisbon in Portugal. Scoot up the coast to Barcelona for a few days. We are going back in a couple years. Other things on the agenda this year. Our snowbird days in the US are over although we enjoyed our time there.

Cheers.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-22-2021, 04:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
Consider a condo rental in the south of Spain or Italy for 3 months. (Max stay) We spent part of a winter in the Malaga area. Gorgeous. Lots to do in the area. Rental cars are cheap. Spend a week in Morocco or check out Lisbon in Portugal. Scoot up the coast to Barcelona for a few days. We are going back in a couple years. Other things on the agenda this year. Our snowbird days in the US are over although we enjoyed our time there.

Cheers.
Did you do this in the past 19 months or was this pre-covid? I haven't checked how things are going for much of Europe lately, but they were in dire straits not too long ago.

We may look into something like that. We did 3 weeks in Italy and rented a motorcycle.
Old 09-22-2021, 04:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
Did you do this in the past 19 months or was this pre-covid? I haven't checked how things are going for much of Europe lately, but they were in dire straits not too long ago.

We may look into something like that. We did 3 weeks in Italy and rented a motorcycle.
Pre Covid. But europe is open for travel. Spain is doing pretty good with the Virus and considerably better than the US. We have connections there. There are protocols in place but from what we understand easy to follow with a little common sense. We speak fluent Spanish (and French and German) but are told by our Brit friends that Spain is easy to function in as an English only speaker. Just a really great place to spend a few months. Especially if you love history...and food. .
radar is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-22-2021, 04:40 PM   #10

Somewhere out there, there is an old expression that says, "When life throws lemons at you, make lemon aid. There's been a lot of lemon aid made over the last several months, but someday, .... the beer will return!
Old 09-22-2021, 05:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
Pre Covid. But europe is open for travel. Spain is doing pretty good with the Virus and considerably better than the US. We have connections there. There are protocols in place but from what we understand easy to follow with a little common sense. We speak fluent Spanish (and French and German) but are told by our Brit friends that Spain is easy to function in as an English only speaker. Just a really great place to spend a few months. Especially if you love history...and food. .
Well, we're getting way off-topic but thanks for the reply. I've been learning Spanish online for the past 2 years, but I barely know anyone I can speak with, 95% French here.

Not sure I'd want to fly in that long aluminum tube for 7 hrs crammed like sardines and masked up. I'm really anxious to get out and travel, it's our thing and a huge part of my retirement plan, which is soon coming up.
Old 09-22-2021, 06:15 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Thread warning.

Get back on topic of the original subject matter. This is not a discussion about European circumstances.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-22-2021, 06:26 PM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Appears to me like he doesn't want to upset Mexico, by opening the land border with Can, and not Mexico!
Old 09-24-2021, 07:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Appears to me like he doesn't want to upset Mexico, by opening the land border with Can, and not Mexico!
Anybody see a pattern here?
mickeybitsko is offline   Reply With Quote Reply