Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 RVing Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2021, 10:26 PM   #1

US to open land borders early November

Just heard on our news channels that the US is opening up the land border both North and South to fully double vaccinated Canadians/Mexicans early November.

Further details are due out Wednesday so be interesting to see the restrictions/testing requirements etc that will be in place.

There's going to be a lot of very happy Canadians this winter for sure that can head south again and I would imagine with the pent up demand for so long it'll be a busy couple of weeks or more at the front end.

I'd be interested to hear how the medical travel insurance is especially on the adequate amounts to cover any "if needed" COVID coverage and which companies if those of you heading south would kindly share in due course.

SD.
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2021, 10:50 PM   #2

I got a 5M coverage policy ; Covid included up to the limit through a broker in Kelowna , OIS Financial , that I've been using for 5 years , actually came in only a few hundred more than my 2018/2019 policy .

Are you a CSA ( Canadian Snowbird Association ) member ?

Or talked , to Medi Quote in Calgary .
Old 10-15-2021, 07:52 AM   #3

Just announced that the land border opening into USA, is set for November 8th.

Vaccination proof will be required to enter USA , no word on what's acceptable as proof . Negative test not required .

BUT!! Canada will still be requiring a negative test less than 72 hours old to enter Canada for ALL travelers .
So much for day trips and cross border shopping .

Maybe regulations will change by April .
Old 10-15-2021, 06:40 PM   #4

eh?

Richard
Old 10-15-2021, 07:16 PM   #5

So looks like 8th November is the official opening day. Thank you USA for making it seem thus far simple enough to cross and join you again

Curious where us Canucks would be best to get an acceptable PCR test to get back into our own country as citizens when we return. I'm hearing pricing from $50 to $200 for acceptable type tests? Personally I'm finding this really odd and that our own are condoning profiteering like this in a pandemic by private individuals when being double vaccinated we are supposed to be for all intense and purposes statistically clean??

I would have thought they could have done something like give us a kit or rapid test at the border either free or for a small cost charge that has to be submitted within the week or something that would have been more user friendly if felt absolutely necessary after being double vaccinated in the first place to have got out of Dodge.

Oh by the way any Canadians used HeyMondo in the past for their medical insurance? If so any that have claimed how was the process? Just can't seem to find much on reviews as they appear to have only been in existence since 2016.

Thanks for feedbacks on HeyMondo and PCR testing places/prices south side before re-entering Canada land borders.
Old 10-15-2021, 07:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by House Husband View Post
eh?

Richard
Hey Richard, do you know how C.A.N.A.D.A. got it's name in the first place?

Well it was decided in Newfoundland many moons ago. Three men around a table put the letters of the alphabet in a cup and each one pulled out a letter.

The first one pulled and said "C" eh?
The second one pulled and said "N" eh?
The third one pulled and said "D" eh?

Sorry, not my best jokes but hey it's Canada eh?

SD.

PS: For a bit of trivia: Very old maps of yesteryear show Canada as being called Kanata.
Old 10-15-2021, 11:02 PM   #7

Hopefully by April ; or sooner ; the hue and cry will have the fed dropping the testing requirement ; right now Washington state says they may help Canadians with the cost.

I'll be sending my own nasty gram to the Ottawa fed .
Old 10-16-2021, 10:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDay View Post
Hey Richard, do you know how C.A.N.A.D.A. got it's name in the first place?

Well it was decided in Newfoundland many moons ago. Three men around a table put the letters of the alphabet in a cup and each one pulled out a letter.

The first one pulled and said "C" eh?
The second one pulled and said "N" eh?
The third one pulled and said "D" eh?

Sorry, not my best jokes but hey it's Canada eh?

SD.
Groan! It took me a minute to get it but I'm just an old Missouri red neck.

Richard
Old 10-16-2021, 11:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by House Husband View Post
Groan! It took me a minute to get it but I'm just an old Missouri red neck.

Richard
That's OK
I had to SAY it out LOUD twice then SHE looked at me and asked "Why are you saying Canada so Loud"??
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-16-2021, 11:49 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Just announced that the land border opening into USA, is set for November 8th.

Vaccination proof will be required to enter USA , no word on what's acceptable as proof . Negative test not required .

BUT!! Canada will still be requiring a negative test less than 72 hours old to enter Canada for ALL travelers .
So much for day trips and cross border shopping .

Maybe regulations will change by April .
Skip, the news story I saw claimed that our BC covid passports would be OK proof. Once we are down there we will worry about how we get back. I wonder if I asked for asylum if that would help?
Eez Moose is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-16-2021, 11:55 AM   #11

Just a thought but here in Alberta from 15th November, our Vax proofs have to be a QR code. Too many forged docs going around as the AHS site allowed an editable version to print!!!

We are thinking we'll have hard copies and a printed out QR code that should suffice. The QR code apparently will only allow access to our names, dob, and the vax type and date administered. No other personal info. Still waiting on them and almost impossible when we've tried to get on our Health website right now, been up to several hours wait on queues trying to access just prior to 20th September vax passport ruling for non-essential businesses.
Old 10-16-2021, 01:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eez Moose View Post
Skip, the news story I saw claimed that our BC covid passports would be OK proof. Once we are down there we will worry about how we get back. I wonder if I asked for asylum if that would help?

As I've mentioned before .
Our return travel to Canada, in March/April , should be deemed as essential travel !
We must get home to file and pay our taxes !

I have our QR codes , on my phone , in print full size and reduced and plasticized ( and tested by the young lady at Staples ) so something should be acceptable to get us into the USA .
I'll be downloading the ArriveCAN , app , just in case; and e mailing Ottawa monthly while away .
Either they have to extend the negative test 72 hour, to at least a week so I can get the test, pick up the result before travel, then have 4 days to get to the border . Or eliminate the requirement or provide a quick test as we enter Canada .
Contact your local MP , OFTEN !
Old 10-21-2021, 01:10 PM   #13

I made 4 trips into Canada in July and August. You could get free COVID tests in Fairbanks, but the results were not available within 72 hours. So I paid $335 each for 4 tests for me and one for my wife. Going from Haines or Juneau north the tests are free. YMMV.

Mike
FV Icy Swan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-21-2021, 01:55 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
As I've mentioned before .
Our return travel to Canada, in March/April , should be deemed as essential travel !
We must get home to file and pay our taxes !

I have our QR codes , on my phone , in print full size and reduced and plasticized ( and tested by the young lady at Staples ) so something should be acceptable to get us into the USA .
I'll be downloading the ArriveCAN , app , just in case; and e mailing Ottawa monthly while away .
Either they have to extend the negative test 72 hour, to at least a week so I can get the test, pick up the result before travel, then have 4 days to get to the border . Or eliminate the requirement or provide a quick test as we enter Canada .
Contact your local MP , OFTEN !
Skip, I would be complacent to just reside in the Hew Hess Eh if the Kanukistanian border people deemed I needed more testing. I have the shots and the passport that allows me to go south so why would I worry about not just continuing to reside in the USA. I have held a green card before.
Eez Moose is offline   Reply With Quote Reply