RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2020, 06:22 PM   #1

What’s up Utah?

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/10/...navirus-cases/

I find this very disconcerting. Anyone on the ground in the healthcare industry in Utah?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2020, 07:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wroughtnharv View Post

Utah is not California or New York [Mod Edit].

We have an onslaught of teen and young adult cases. Everyone masks up for work and school, then gathers in big crowds.
Old 10-26-2020, 05:27 PM   #3

Nor'easters Club
"Utah is not California or New York [Mod Edit]."

What does this comment/[mod edit] mean?
Old 10-26-2020, 05:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebud1218 View Post
"Utah is not California or New York [Mod Edit]."

What does this comment/[mod edit] mean?
It means a site moderator had removed a word that when used is against forums rules; and serves as a reminder to the poster about language.
Keep it clean folks , you're not drinking beer with your buddies on a hunting trip here!
Old 10-27-2020, 10:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wroughtnharv View Post

I find this very disconcerting. Anyone on the ground in the healthcare industry in Utah?
What do you find disconcerting?

What I find disconcerting is the out of context fear mongering.

Every state has a web site with data. Do you find five deaths per day disconcerting? Do find that 75% of those deaths are over 65 years old?

Here is the deal. I can not die of covid. I can only die of old age.

A few year back our kids paid for us to get a family trust. Both my wife and I left instruction about what medical procedures at the end of our lives.

It is a serious subject.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:19 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I lived in Utah until 2 years ago, and I have a lot of friends still there. The situation is dire. The ICUs are full, the hospitals are full, people are being sent to surrounding states for critical care, but those places are filling up. Visitors should really stay away so as to not stress the medical system any more. And it isn’t just being afraid of COVID. What happens if you have a heart attack and no critical care bed is available? What if you, like me, have a gall bladder explode and need an ICU to keep you from dying of septic shock? I love the Utah outdoors, but I won’t be heading there this winter.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:37 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Currently staying outside Capital Reef National Park and noticed that NO locals are wearing masks. Have been to several stores and shops, the only exception is the RV park I'm staying at the manager wears one.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:54 AM   #8

No where in the world is ready for a pandemic. The cost to have the equipment and personnel is cost prohibitive. People do not desire to hear that, but it is the truth.

People in the USA are panicking because they are realizing how fragile the supply chains are, how easily the medical facilities are overwhelmed.

Scenarios to test emergency preparedness are based on triage in the immediate area, and shipping out to other locales to ease the local burden.

There is no place to go folks. There is no place to run to.
Old 10-28-2020, 11:24 AM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGoose View Post
No where in the world is ready for a pandemic. The cost to have the equipment and personnel is cost prohibitive. People do not desire to hear that, but it is the truth.

People in the USA are panicking because they are realizing how fragile the supply chains are, how easily the medical facilities are overwhelmed.

Scenarios to test emergency preparedness are based on triage in the immediate area, and shipping out to other locales to ease the local burden.

There is no place to go folks. There is no place to run to.
Agree that a pandemic, the large-scale, rapid-spread of an infectious disease (e.g., tuberculosis, smallpox, polio, "the plague," 1918 flu, Aids/HIV, and now Covid-19), is economically and culturally challenging to an effective preparedness and response strategy. Not sure, I would agree with your cost prohibitive statement given our current monetary money theory (MMT) based economic response to Covid-19. In fact, I'd suggest the cost of not engaging an effective people/equipment/policy response to Covid-19 is the more meaningful and costly prohibition.

I believe there is less a feeling of panic and more of serious concern as some of the previous posters have commented. Earlier Covid-19 infection rate flattening efforts (e.g., quarantining) were successful in providing sufficient time to keep ICU's and PPE reserves from being completely overwhelmed. Such strategies are still available and, in combination with prevention practices combined with testing and contact tracing capabilities, can reduce the rate of transmission without necessitating full-blown lockdowns.

Agree that there is no place to go or run, but I would reiterate the effectiveness of compliance tolerance: > mask-wearing, > social distancing, and > hand-washing. Our ability to contain Covid-19 is directly related to the level of care and concern we practice on behalf of one-another.

Be well!
Old 10-28-2020, 12:12 PM   #10

As of yesterday:

"Utah has about 664 ICU beds. Based on best available data, we estimate that 37% (245) are currently occupied by non-COVID patients. Of the 419 ICU beds remaining, 112 are needed by COVID cases, or 27% of available beds. This suggests there is likely enough capacity to absorb a wave of new COVID infections."

https://covidactnow.org/us/utah-ut?s=1205295

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Old 10-28-2020, 12:25 PM   #11

I'm sorry to hear that Utah is faring poorly. It's my favorite place and my spring trip was cancelled by Covid - I was headed back within the next few weeks, trying to beat winter. I'd be there now but supply issues have delayed the delivery of my new side by side.
Old 10-28-2020, 12:58 PM   #12

I haven't seen anyone mention the triage' plans. Most of us are the "older" folks mentioned below. So, older folks get kicked to the curb.

"In the event that two patients' conditions are equal, the young get priority over the old, since older patients are more likely to die."
Old 10-28-2020, 04:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebud1218 View Post

Agree that there is no place to go or run, but I would reiterate the effectiveness of compliance tolerance: > mask-wearing, > social distancing, and > hand-washing. Our ability to contain Covid-19 is directly related to the level of care and concern we practice on behalf of one-another.
This is all that is needed country-wide. It worked for some states earlier. If everyone would do it we could curb this. People are getting too casual about this now.
Old 10-28-2020, 06:55 PM   #14

I agree with you on those 3 measures. Here in Canada the same thing but I believe in my area people seem to be wearing masks indoors and only take out at restaurants, no gyms, parties or large gatherings permitted at all, 25 people at one place at a time outside otherwise told to stick within household members only is suggested. If people don’t follow for large gathering rules and get caught they are now getting fines and from what I gather they are not small fines. I heard on news that there was a party held and the host got a large fine and all guests each got a fine but smaller.
Closed Thread

Tags
utah