Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 RVing Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2020, 07:40 PM   #1

What they don’t tell you about surviving COVID-19

Most of the media attention, and rightly so, is focused on the number of deaths related to COVID-19. There hasn’t been much attention paid in the media or this forum for that matter, to those that survive the disease. This article lists some of the most severe symptoms/consequences of COVID-19. Fortunately most people recover, but this is not “the flu” as some here like to call it.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/editorsp...g-15347792.php
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2020, 07:56 AM   #2

I recently watched a video where officials from Illinois I believe admitted that if a person died from say a car accident, suicide etc and, they tested positive for the Chinese virus, it was listed a Covid 19 death. You have to wonder about the numbers we're being fed.
Old 06-23-2020, 08:04 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
40 years ago when I wrote some statistical analysis programs of large data sets, I learned companies/governments only want to present statistics that help their needs, not the true stats...
from day 1 I've said that if you catch it, it may be bad, you've never been presented with the real possibility of if you'd catch it...

Is it now in the 1% death of the 1% that catch it ?
Old 06-23-2020, 08:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post
I recently watched a video where officials from Illinois I believe admitted that if a person died from say a car accident, suicide etc and, they tested positive for the Chinese virus, it was listed a Covid 19 death. You have to wonder about the numbers we're being fed.
I've heard that before but it applied to patients who died from then-unexplained respiratory illnesses, not car wrecks, suicides, or choke holds.

If you've got a link to those Illinois officials making a public statement, please post it. I'd love to see that from the horse's mouths...

Wash your hands, stay distanced, use a mask; pass on our outdoors traditions, not a virus!
Old 06-23-2020, 08:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
40 years ago when I wrote some statistical analysis programs of large data sets, I learned companies/governments only want to present statistics that help their needs, not the true stats...
from day 1 I've said that if you catch it, it may be bad, you've never been presented with the real possibility of if you'd catch it...

Is it now in the 1% death of the 1% that catch it ?

And did some “stable genius” tell you to slow down the testing and the numbers will go down or don’t do any testing and there won’t be any cases?
Old 06-23-2020, 09:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post

The Illinois Dept of Public Health only records deaths as related to COVID-19 if there is a positive test result for the didease. They are also aware of the possibility that some deaths, ie due to car wrecks, should not be on the list, and they have worked to remove those. They have had complaints of both over-reporting and under-reporting of C19 deaths.
Old 06-23-2020, 09:12 AM   #7

Yosemite77, sorry to hear you're still not fully recovered. Hopefully you haven't suffered permanent damage like some of the people in the link you posted. It took my 22 year old son 10 weeks to recover, but he seems back to normal again and can run 4-5 days a week now.

My wife was also infected and while she wasn't as impacted as our son, it took 5-6 weeks for her breathing to return to normal.

Unfortunately it seems many people will continue to think covid is no big deal until it seriously impacts them or someone in their immediate family. Since possibly only 10% have been infected so far there is a long way to go and it's very possible many more will suffer serious complications. While the focus has been on deaths, the impact on "recovered" people has not received much attention.
Old 06-23-2020, 09:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donskiman View Post
Yosemite77, sorry to hear you're still not fully recovered. Hopefully you haven't suffered permanent damage like some of the people in the link you posted. It took my 22 year old son 10 weeks to recover, but he seems back to normal again and can run 4-5 days a week now.

My wife was also infected and while she wasn't as impacted as our son, it took 5-6 weeks for her breathing to return to normal.

Unfortunately it seems many people will continue to think covid is no big deal until it seriously impacts them or someone in their immediate family. Since possibly only 10% have been infected so far there is a long way to go and it's very possible many more will suffer serious complications. While the focus has been on deaths, the impact on "recovered" people has not received much attention.

I’m glad to hear that your son has recovered. I was wondering how he was doing. I’m still slowly improving - coming up on the 15 week mark. I’ll still get out of breath at times, but not as bad as before. I’m able to talk on the phone again. A half hour conversation back in April put me in an O2 deficit, which then landed me in the ER. I’m hoping my O2 levels will rebound so that we can get back to Colorado and Wyoming next year.
I wish the media would do more follow-up stories on patients that have been released from the hospital. People need to see how some of these people are struggling to recover.
Old 06-23-2020, 09:55 AM   #9

Extremely bad recoveries from illnesses are not unique to COVID. We hear about the COVID ones because COVID is the headline disease at this time. Most people fully recover from COVID, just like they fully recover from the flu, bacterial pneumonia and many other diseases. But a few do not. There are pneumonia victims that have permanent lung damage. There are elderly flu patients who become bed ridden. It is sad that someone has a bad recovery, but it is the exception, not the rule of COVID recoveries.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:59 AM   #10

What they don't tell you is: any information that you could make a good decision from. How many people are we talking about? Some, most, a few? Articles like this are to keep everyone in fear. The only way this thing will end is if it spreads throughout the world. A vaccine might be only slightly effective, or not at all. At best it will be pushed through without proper testing. People have to make their own choices. You can hide in your house forever, but eventually you will get it if you come out. To each their own. The real damage is going to be the economic hit that is coming. Your savings is going to be worth a lot less when the inflation, and unemployment hit of a full blown depression. We have to get on with life. We have done what we can to curtail it. Except for a small percentage of vulnerable people, the rest are almost at no risk at all. The cure will be worse than the disease. A bankrupt country isn't much of a solution.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:38 PM   #11

I saw on the news today that many young people who think they have fully recovered will have premature lung failure later in life. They called it "crushed glass lung" for how it looks on xray. They feel fine now, but not in a few decades. While it's true the flu can do some nasty things to you(like blind you), it's clear among'st most medical providers that how this disease presents is a real game changer. Everything from destroyed lungs, to amputations, to kidney failure, its a beast of a much more severe nature than seen before. Another study found that those with type A blood have 30-50% worse outcome That's me.
Old 06-24-2020, 12:04 AM   #12

Everyone dies. Not everyone lives.
Old 06-24-2020, 04:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
I saw on the news today that many young people who think they have fully recovered will have premature lung failure later in life. They called it "crushed glass lung" for how it looks on xray. They feel fine now, but not in a few decades. While it's true the flu can do some nasty things to you(like blind you), it's clear among'st most medical providers that how this disease presents is a real game changer. Everything from destroyed lungs, to amputations, to kidney failure, its a beast of a much more severe nature than seen before. Another study found that those with type A blood have 30-50% worse outcome That's me.
Again, what is the percentage of recovered people with permanent problems. This fear mongering and lack of information is ridiculous. Why do we not have full disclosure on all the statistics at this point. Don't you think its funny that we are only doled out parts of the information. What is the current flu death rate. What are the current heart attack, cancer etc., regular death rates in relation to normal years. I suspect if they gave us the proper info, we would realize that many of the counted "covid" deaths are actually just normal deaths that have been counted. I find it very strange that the majority of the deaths are in long term care homes. My 80 year old mother wasn't sick enough to get into one, and she died less than a year later from complications from diabetes. In Canada, you have to be on your last legs to get into those homes. Its no surprise people are dying there. They die every day in there. Just saying.
Old 06-25-2020, 03:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
Again, what is the percentage of recovered people with permanent problems. This fear mongering and lack of information is ridiculous. Why do we not have full disclosure on all the statistics at this point. Don't you think its funny that we are only doled out parts of the information. What is the current flu death rate. What are the current heart attack, cancer etc., regular death rates in relation to normal years. I suspect if they gave us the proper info, we would realize that many of the counted "covid" deaths are actually just normal deaths that have been counted. I find it very strange that the majority of the deaths are in long term care homes. My 80 year old mother wasn't sick enough to get into one, and she died less than a year later from complications from diabetes. In Canada, you have to be on your last legs to get into those homes. Its no surprise people are dying there. They die every day in there. Just saying.
Winni, it's just too early to give hard answers on that question, but some trends are emerging. What they do know is that more severe long term problems seem to be coming. Here's the most current I can find.
https://www.advisory.com/daily-brief...health-effects As far as I know, the current flu death rate has always been stable at around 60,000 per year. Being as we're only into this Covid for several months, the fact that we're closing in on 124,000 deaths as of today, I think it's very hard to argue that this is not something special. A lot of people have any number of conditions such as high blood pressure etc., but it's a big stretch to say they would of died anyway. The way we medical folk look at it is ask yourself "would this person still be alive we're it not for Covid19?" The answer is usually yes by a wide margin. Then the cause of death is Covid with contributing factors underlying conditions. Yes, the majority of deaths have been the old and weak, but there are plenty of deaths in all age categories. Now it's surging through the young people, who will give it to the more vulnerable. Another reason we don't have good information is that it's being suppressed for political reasons, and causing confusion at the same time. I'll just leave it at that. Stay well. Don
Closed Thread