Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 RVing Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2020, 09:45 PM   #1

Winter in Florida cancelled

Events today have caused me to cancel our 4-month winter in Ft. Myers Beach. This morning we both arose with runny noses, congestion, deep cough, headache, and eye irritation. We were to arrive at the RV resort Dec. 1.
Erring on the side of safety for others and common sense I called our daughters and informed them. Youngest daughter has COVID-19 plus 3 of her daughters too. That makes 7 in my extended family that has had this virus to date. I call in the morning to schedule testing for DW and me; then call the RV resort to cancel our reservations this year and hopefully extend it to next winter 21/22.

We both try to follow the CDC guidelines as best we can, plus we do not visit anyone or allow visitors in our house, only leave home for Dr. appt''s and grocery shopping. Back in the summer we did dine-in at our favorite restaurant once a week. That's it; where we might have gotten whatever this is, is a mystery to us.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2020, 10:15 PM   #2

I'm so sorry to hear this. It is everywhere right now. I knew of only a handful who had it all summer now it's 2-3 a day. I am also very cautious and have been all along. I hope you make a quick recovery and bummer about cancelling your trip. No fun :(

Ps. Thank you for being responsible and considerate of others by staying out. Very kind and generous of you!
nbluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 10:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Events today have caused me to cancel our 4-month winter in Ft. Myers Beach. This morning we both arose with runny noses, congestion, deep cough, headache, and eye irritation. We were to arrive at the RV resort Dec. 1.
Hoping it's just a bad cold......

We were notified a couple days ago that our friends and their son acquired it. Dad is in the hospital; son is having issues but still at home right now and wife had days of severe aching in every area of her body and a headache. Bad stuff!

My best to you and your wife.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 10:25 PM   #4

best wishes to you for a speedy recovery. fwiw, my doc says that most people develop symptoms shortly after being infected.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:48 PM   #5

We hope it's only a cold too. On the bright side, we'll be saving over $5K by staying home this winter. Sure gonna miss that almost-private beach though.
The state website says testing results take 4-6 days to be posted on the website, so if we can get tested Friday we might know by next Friday.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 11:07 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
DW and I both came down with moderate colds a couple weeks ago. It took a full week for me to shake it off. The DW's morphed into a mild flu and she's just now pretty much over it.

About 3 1/2 weeks ago a neighbor across the street from us suddenly got flu-like symptoms. He tested negative but by the time he got the test results back he was much worse with severe headaches and loss of his senses of taste and smell. The nurse who called him with the results said that he may have tested a couple days too soon and probably was actually positive. He immediately self-quarantined and thankfully his symptoms didn't get worse and is now completely recovered.

So a couple of the tell-tale differences between the flu and COVID-19 appear to be headaches and loss of taste and smell.
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 11:13 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I figure it's better to be sick at home that on the road. So I canceled my summer vacation along with other reasons.. Turned out to be a wise decision.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 11:29 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I too hope it's just the run-of-the-mill cold & with rest & fluids you'll be fine in no time. With the way this or any cold spreads, who knows where you were exposed. Even with the most careful precautions things happen. You're wise to stay put & get tested. I'm sure the hard part will be the wait for results. Wishing you both the best for recovery.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 07:12 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
DH and I talk almost daily about whether we will cancel this winter’s trip to the AZ desert. We don’t stay in resorts much, so we won’t be around people often, but we still have to get food and fuel. Cases in southern AZ are increasing, and more and more people we know here are getting sick too. Sigh. At least I don’t have a cancellation deadline to worry about. I would much rather sit in AZ instead of IA come January and February.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 07:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Events today have caused me to cancel our 4-month winter in Ft. Myers Beach. This morning we both arose with runny noses, congestion, deep cough, headache, and eye irritation.
My wife and I suddenly get the same symptoms when people start burning stuff in the neighborhood (fires, fireplaces) or contractors start burning stumps.
Did anything like that happen in your life lately - or did you fire up the heater recently? My Doc says allergies change every 7 years....
Hope it's just allergies. Get well.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 07:25 AM   #11

Why not see how your illness plays out first before cancelling your entire trip? Maybe/hopefully by Jan, you will be better and possibly immune from Covid, most people recover in 7-14 days. Assuming you have Covid and recover, this would still give you 3+ months to enjoy FL.
Note - A second bout of Covid is very, very rare.

Dr. appts and grocery stores are necessary but considered Covid hot spots.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 07:38 AM   #12

I'm very sorry to hear you can't come down I hope everyone will be okay. I go to Ft Myers beach every day It has been good time The travelers are showing up in droves. Take care. Ed
IamCarbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 07:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Erring on the side of safety for others and common sense I called our daughters and informed them. Youngest daughter has COVID-19 plus 3 of her daughters too. That makes 7 in my extended family that has had this virus to date. I call in the morning to schedule testing for DW and me; then call the RV resort to cancel our reservations this year and hopefully extend it to next winter 21/22.

We both try to follow the CDC guidelines as best we can, plus we do not visit anyone or allow visitors in our house, only leave home for Dr. appt''s and grocery shopping. Back in the summer we did dine-in at our favorite restaurant once a week. That's it; where we might have gotten whatever this is, is a mystery to us.
Hmm... your symptoms sound more like a cold. With Covid you generally have a dry cough that is not too deep and not so much a runny nose or eye irritation. You would also be running a temperature with Covid. I’m hoping it’s only a cold and you will be better soon.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 09:19 AM   #14

Hi Ray-

Whatever you've got, I hope you're rid of it quickly.

I posted in a now-closed thread about my boss, his wife and mom being hospitalized with C-19 (second infection for boss). I'm very happy to say all three are now out of hospital. Boss, however, may need to be on oxygen for the rest of his life and he's only 64.

Also gotta agree with the sentiment that if one ends up sick, being at the home base makes all the logistics much easier.

Sorry to hear that you had to cancel your plans. If it turns out you're Covid negative and you get better perhaps you can salvage some of your travels. Good luck for both!

Tags
florida, led, winter