Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 RVing Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Would you get tested for Covid-19?
Yes 39 43.33%
No 42 46.67%
Don't Know 9 10.00%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2020, 09:36 AM   #1

Would You Get Tested for Covid-19?

Would you get tested if you have no symptoms, have not been around anyone that has been sick or have not been in a hotspot area? This is being heavily discussed on another forum that I read and I wanted opinions from RV'rs.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2020, 09:48 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
Would you get tested if you have no symptoms, have not been around anyone that has been sick or have not been in a hotspot area? This is being heavily discussed on another forum that I read and I wanted opinions from RV'rs.
No, nor would I would want to be randomly tested for any other communicable disease if I was totally asymptomatic.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:50 AM   #3

likely not.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:01 AM   #4

I would like to eventually get the antibody test to see if I had Covid-19, as I had something the first part of April where I was in bed with chills, etc. for 24-48 hours. As to testing to see if I currently have it, no, not unless someone was perhaps doing a general population study, in which case I might participate.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:06 AM   #5

All folks should be tested Provided there are enough test kits available to test everryone.

Assymptomatic means you are a carrier BUT not aware cause you do not show symptoms
Going untested increases the probability of virus being spread by assymptomatic individuals

Have I been tested........NO
Test kits are still limited in quanity and at present should be used on those with symptoms to confirm and then isolate/treat them
Old 05-19-2020, 10:14 AM   #6

In an ideal world, there would be enough tests to test everybody and in that ideal world, everyone should get a test because of the unique qualities of this virus. Testing everyone would identify asymptomatic carriers, establish the extent the virus is within the population, and enable isolation of carriers with the knowledge that the bulk of the population is relatively safe to resume normal activity.

In that ideal world, submitting to a test is the best thing for the individual and the country, as a whole.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:32 AM   #7

My wife works in a hospital, and is getting the antibody test done Thursday. If she shows positive, they want to test the entire family.
I’m pretty sure we had it in January. The boys were deathly ill for a week with headaches, recurring fevers, sore throat, and cough. My wife, teenage girls, and I had headache and scratchy throat for a couple days.
The girls had travelled to PA through Minneapolis, and the boys went to Texas through DFW at the end of Christmas break to stay with family while my wife and I went to Ft Lauderdale to board a 7 day cruise.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:57 AM   #8

I definitely try my best to be safe with this stuff. Have only been out for groceries/supplies a few times. For everyone's safety, I wear a mask, social distance, keep hands clean, etc,,,. Because of where I have NOT been and who I have NOT socialized with, I don't feel testing is needed at this time.

Things I think about with testing.
First, tests are available locally but still in short supply. I'd rather they be administered to those that feel they need it.
Second is that the tests we have locally take a long time before results are known. In my eyes, not all that helpful.
Third, I believe there are some tests out there that aren't as reliable as they need to be. I'd want to be more sure which test they were administering to my family.
Fourth, and I may be the only one that thinks this way. In my eyes, it stands to reason that a person doing the testing has a better chance of coming across the virus. The images and videos I've seen show how up close and personal they have to get to do the swab. Yes, precautions are taken but ya never know when a mistake might have been made that helps with the spread.

Edited to add: On the poll, I chose "Don't Know". For now, it's a no. But I do realize that things can change to where it might be needed at a future date.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:01 AM   #9
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenaleslie View Post
No I feel it's a way to get everyone s DNA on file. Remember Hitler
If you've ever had a blood draw for anything that was a possibility.

I'd consider an antibody test if offered by my health system because they already have plenty of samples. But a test performed by another agency such as the local underfunded health department? I'd have some hesitation with that...

I see zero point for most of us to get tested for an active infection. You'd have to get it done every two weeks for negative results to have any value other than a snapshot in time.

Perhaps the OP will digest these responses and devise a poll with more options.

Ray
Old 05-19-2020, 12:45 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
My one and only anecdote about covid testing is concerning. Both of my parents are in assisted living in GA. They tested everyone for the first time a few weeks ago and had three employees and three residents test positive. All were asymptomatic. They retested those same six folks a week later, and all came back negative. The physician said all he could come up with is the tests were faulty.

Now, I’m not a scientist, but something tells me a 100% failure rate is a bit of a QC problem.

I’m trusting nothing that I hear and little that I read concerning this topic. And I’m pissed that my elderly parents had to be locked down in their little room and stressed out over nothing.
Old 05-19-2020, 01:04 PM   #11

Rexhall Owners Group
I'll treat the Covid testing the same as the rapid flu test. If the doctor isn't sure and wants the test to help in making treatment decisions, then I'd take the test. Otherwise, there seems to be little to be gained from the test.
Old 05-19-2020, 01:11 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
No, as it likely leads to something else.
Old 05-19-2020, 01:20 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, if I was showing symptoms, I'd get tested immediately. I'm high risk because of lung disorders. I'm not a germ-a-fob, but I'm careful around other people, especially during the flu season. If I catch the flu, its usually a trip to the hospital with pneumonia, pleurisy, broken ribs, etc.
Old 05-19-2020, 01:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
In an ideal world, there would be enough tests to test everybody and in that ideal world, everyone should get a test because of the unique qualities of this virus. Testing everyone would identify asymptomatic carriers, establish the extent the virus is within the population, and enable isolation of carriers with the knowledge that the bulk of the population is relatively safe to resume normal activity.

In that ideal world, submitting to a test is the best thing for the individual and the country, as a whole.
how often should everybody be tested? a test occurs at 9am and the subject of the test encounters someone at 1pm who passes the virus to him or her. test results are negative but inaccurate as the subject won't be re-tested unless illness AND a visit to the doc or ER occurs.

should people be tested against their will? if yes then where does that stop? there are plenty of bugs out there that will kill you or at least make you very sick and communicable.

who does the testing and what happens to the results? are the results pegged to a particular individual or are they mere a yes/no and lumped in with the other 330-million residents? if pegged to an individual how is that person's privacy protected?

quote:
"...establish the extent the virus is within the population, and enable isolation of carriers with the knowledge that the bulk of the population is relatively safe to resume normal activity..."

forcible isolation? for how long? where? is that person tested every day? kept locked up until they test negative? for how many days are they locked up after a negative test? are they required to be re-tested every X days/weeks/months to make sure they are virus free? are they identified to the general population as a carrier/infected person/previously infected person? how are they identified? perhaps some sort of symbol worn on their garments?

seems to me that a statistician or mathematician can come up with a % of the population that volunteers to be tested the results of which could be extrapolated for the entire country.

beyond that I must add this...a bit off topic of this thread so apologies in advance. the 1968 H3N2 pandemic killed 1,000,000 world wide and 100,000 in the US. I was a high school senior that year and not only remember the flu but also that nobody panicked, nothing was shut down, people kept their jobs. why not then and why now?
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-res...-pandemic.html

the 1957 H2N2 flu pandemic (a mutated variation of the 1918 Spanish Flu) killed 1.1-million world wide and 116,000 in the US. i was only 7 at the time but I can find no reports of panic, hording TP, killing the economy, etc.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-res...-pandemic.html
Closed Thread

Tags
test