Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 RVing Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2020, 04:35 PM   #1

Your advice please

My wife & I live in New Zealand, own a motor home in the US and spend 5-6 months each year travelling your beautiful land.
We are booked to fly to the US on 25 May and although the Covid-19 virus pandemic is very fluid with worldwide travel and movement restrictions in place we are still keen to travel thru the US. This years trip is ‘National Parks and Monuments of the Mid West. I read about Nat Park closures but unless Donald bands us from entering WHAT DO YOU FELLOW RV TRAVELLERS THINK? Our motor home is fully self contained(33feet) and we prefer exploring the back roads and not the big cities. We have Ebikes so don’t use public transport. We feel we are ‘sensible and responsible’ RVers to limit our exposure risk.
Look forward to opiniions.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2020, 05:40 PM   #2

It's very hard to predict that far in the future to a rapidly changing crisis. Some state campground have closed for no one knows for how long. By the end of May if experience from China can be believed the virus here should have peaked.

Some National parks will probably close if they haven't already but again we don't know for how long. So if your intent is to use National Parks as your only campgrounds then you may want to prepare a backup plan.

There will undoubtedly be private campgrounds near NP's open but if the NP's are closed you won't get into them.
There is plenty to see and do even though the NP's may be closed.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
Old 03-14-2020, 07:16 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
If the Government lets you into the Country I see no reason why you should alter your plans. At that point the parks should be open again. I have a 32 day trip planned coast to coast starting in June. I do not plan any changes to my trip.
Old 03-14-2020, 07:29 PM   #4

Hi fellow kiwi,
As mentioned above, the situation is changing rapidly and I would still plan on coming but don't book anything yet. The travel industry is in a state of shock right now and who knows what will happen or what airlines will still be around.
I think you would be safe. I have just returned from nz after spending a month there renewing friendships.

All the best.
Go for it!
Old 03-14-2020, 10:30 PM   #5

I'm scheduled to go to Berlin in a week, but our return flight has been cancelled. I read today that Delta Airlines is grounding 40% of their planes for the foreseeable future, and they have made a pay proposal for pilots being grounded.

With flights from New Zealand to North America being very expensive, have you considered putting your trip off for a month? Maybe things will be settled out by then.
Old 03-15-2020, 07:30 AM   #6

How old are you folks?
If you are older than, say, 65, I would not fly at this time or for the next 60 - 90 days. Not only due the health risk of being in close proximity to potentially asymptomatic Covid-19 carriers, but being stuck in a future 'containment zone.' Being 71, I see thinks from a certain perspective as to the pandemic, so take that into consideration. We were planning a cross-country trip to the west coast leaving in late April or early May. We are now planning trips within a two day drive of home. Your MMV and stay safe.
Closed Thread

Tags
advice