RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-03-2020, 07:25 AM   #1

2018 Verona LE - First impressions

Hi all,

I'm new to the Renegade party and thought I'd introduce myself. We just transitioned from a Fleetwood Excursion 33D to Verona LE 40LTS, and our first impressions are "Wow!". I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir, but I figured I'd share some first impressions:

Driving Dynamics: Concrete highways, expansion joints, truck traffic are stable and composed, complete non-events. Our Fleetwood swayed, floated, and shook with road imperfections and traffic. Cornering is much flatter and with the inboard seating, my wife seemed MUCH more at ease ...there where no claw marks in the armrests when we got home.

Engine noise when accelerating is a more than our DP, but once up to speed the Verona seems quieter. I do plan to add sound deadening mats to the firewall and cab floor - that made a huge difference in sound with our Fleetwood.

Power is up and Torque is way up vs. our old coach, the tranny downshifted to 5 only once on the highway, and I kind of forced the issue be mashing the throttle on an uphill grade just to see what it did. Over the same terrain, the Fleetwood kicked into 5 numerous times.

Cab doors are handy. Stopping at a rest area my bride started climbing out and to head back to "the door" until I reminded her that there was a door right beside her. We will learn.

Although 7 feet longer, the Verona is a couple inches more narrow than our Excursion and feels smaller on the road. Likely due in part to how stable it is. Construction, toll booths, and even getting sandwiched between two semi's in adjacent lanes ...none where white knuckle events.

But when parking at the house this rig felt every bit of its 40 feet. The longer wheel base and a tight driveway, made docking (in the dark) an interesting event.

Driver seat - On my initial test drive I was hopping down the road like a kid on a bouncy ball. No fun. Bringing her home I just put the seat all the way down, no air ride but still very comfortable. I do want to sort out the seat so I can get both air ride AND a non-bouncyball ride.

Interior fit, finish, and overall solidity is a big step up. No glitz, just good solid construction; I'm a fan.

Firefly/Spyder system, I like it, but I haven't really lived with it yet, and have zero documentation. Any of you have documentation for it?

Aquahot - we frequently "camp" in cold weather and this feature with the heated bay was a key feature for us. I am still trying to sort it out. with a few cold nights this week, I left the system on to prevent freezing and noticed that coolant hoses that route to the engine are hot ...I didn't see the preheat pump indicator light on but suspect it must be circulating. Still need to find where to shut that off, but the "switch" is hiding somewhere in my spyder control panel. There are times when a real button would be nice.

Storage - definitely more than our 33 footer, but I do miss having a passthrough for important things like fishing rods and skis. We'll need to figure out something; perhaps removing part of a compartment divider wall to make a longer storage area.

Sorry for the long post. I spent a lot of time on this site before puling the trigger, and figure these new owner thoughts might help another contemplating a similar transition.
Wandering Mcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2020, 08:27 PM   #2

Mark,

Hello great post and congrats on your new coach. The more you drive it the more youíll enjoy all its features.I totally agree with you on the suspension, even though thereís no airbags it handles hard road shock better than my 2019 Newmar. While the over-all ride is a bit stiffer than airbags, the front axle dampens out big road shock. Make sure you donít over inflate your tires as they they play an important point in the overall ride. The radials tires flexing sidewall acts as an airbag.

The aqua hot is a great system. I use the 110 volt heater in aqua hot to keep the coach and bay warm in chilly weather..

Anyhow enjoy the new ride!

Mike
Idleup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 06:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idleup View Post
Make sure you donít over inflate your tires as they they play an important point in the overall ride. The radials tires flexing sidewall acts as an airbag.
I have a friend who has a 2019 Verona LE and is a very large retail tire dealer. He advises running the front at 120# and the rear at 110#...this is what is written on the door. It is his opinion that the trade off is between safety and a softer ride. New tires may tolerate some sidewall flexing but as they get older that is the last thing you want for blowout protection.
2004 Blue Bird M380 (sold)
RonLC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonLC View Post
I have a friend who has a 2019 Verona LE and is a very large retail tire dealer. He advises running the front at 120# and the rear at 110#...this is what is written on the door. It is his opinion that the trade off is between safety and a softer ride. New tires may tolerate some sidewall flexing but as they get older that is the last thing you want for blowout protection.

Hello Ron regretfully your friend is 100% wrong for a number of reasons, first at this pressure the "Radial" tires working sidewall flex design is near null resulting in possibly 80% of the road shock to be transferred to the chassis. When I picked up my coach in Florida they had the tires 125-150 lbs. If a coach is driven for any period of time in this manner, it will loosen the body joints, cabinetry, etc. and result in squeaks and rattle which worsen mile after mile.

Running a radial with high pressure prevents the tire from providing the air bag type ride it was designed for, the sidewalls must be able to flex or bulge to absorb road shock. This problem is very bad for Verona coaches since they have the ability to carry 8-10,000 lbs over their build weight. The tires especially on the Verona need to be deflated to the proper pressure.

You can call Renegade tech service and give them your Vin and they will tell you the exact weight of your coach as it left the factory, You can use this weight then add liquids and estimate you luggage to get a ballpark weight that will work. Use the tire manufacture tire chart to find your lowest pressure, then enjoy your Renegade. My Verona with proper pressure rides better on rough surfaces than my "all air bag" Newmar New Aire!

Regards - Mike
Old 11-05-2020, 01:49 PM   #5

[QUOTE=Idleup;5508619]Hello Ron regretfully your friend is 100% wrong.../QUOTE]

I'll pass this on to him. He is a real big Dude...
Old 11-05-2020, 02:36 PM   #6

[QUOTE=RonLC;5509020]
Quote:
Hello Ron regretfully your friend is 100% wrong.../QUOTE]

I'll pass this on to him. He is a real big Dude...
LOL well make sure you don't tell him I said so . . . .

Thanks
Old 11-05-2020, 02:36 PM   #7

Ron,

I have to mostly agree with IDLEUP.

If you look at some of my past rants, I tell folks to have their rig weighed. This can be done at most truck stops. You will get individual axle weights. THEN you check the tire manufactures weight tables for your tire and voila, the PROPER, SAFE weight will be there. You will find that if you run the posted pressures, you will have a much harsher ride and you gain nothing.

I always weigh with my usual "stuff" on board, full fuel and water. Tongue weight of my car doesn't really matter to this chassis.

Although each corner weight is even better, axle weights are adequate. Weighing has been the holy grail of FMCA forever and has served me well through 6 coaches and 500,000 miles. Only flat or blowout was an OE Goodyear POS and the only Goodyear RV tires I have had. No more Goodyears for me.
Ziggy8321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 07:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Mark,
Make sure you donít over inflate your tires as they they play an important point in the overall ride. The radials tires flexing sidewall acts as an airbag.

Anyhow enjoy the new ride!
Thanks Mike, and good advice re: tire pressure. I learned that lesson on our last rig. (It was delivered with 120 all around). A trip to the scales and a tire pressure table made it a MUCH smoother ride. Once we move in Iíll get some weights and determine pressure for our Verona
Wandering Mcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 04:48 PM   #9

Wrong time of year but I'm just south of Boston MA and have wheel scales. If anyone is in the area we can get your weights which may or may not involve a beer or two. I can tell you that my LE has a heavy rear corner

Tom C
twc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 11:40 AM   #10

Idleup aka Mike is correct. The correct pressure for load is the best method. One reason not mentioned is flexing sidewalls helps keep rubber "alive." Tires will last longer if they are allowed to flex, keeping them somewhat more supple. Rubber will "die" and become brittle faster if it is not allowed to flex within its designed limits. Filling tires to max pressure minimizes flexing of sidewalls allowing them to become brittle faster.
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 11:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
Idleup aka Mike is correct. The correct pressure for load is the best method. One reason not mentioned is flexing sidewalls helps keep rubber "alive." Tires will last longer if they are allowed to flex, keeping them somewhat more supple. Rubber will "die" and become brittle faster if it is not allowed to flex within its designed limits. Filling tires to max pressure minimizes flexing of sidewalls allowing them to become brittle faster.
SteveS

Do you have a source (link) for your contention that you could post? Thanks
Old 11-19-2020, 03:10 PM   #12

Ron - I did a study on rubber many years ago in an engineering class and have always remembered that if rubber is flexed within its elastic limits without creating excessive heat, it helps lengthen its life. Don't remember the empirical data but only remember that life is increased. That being said, the link below mentions tire rotation increasing tire life. This is because of flexing...within limits. If a tire is overinflated, it may get very little flexing. Of course if it is underinflated, too much heat is created and you have just ruined it completely. The ideal situation is to inflate to tire and load characteristics so flexing, road handling, etc. is optimized.

In the link, look at the "The Science of Aging" section under usage. This mentions the positive effects of rotation.

https://www.liveabout.com/the-scienc...-aging-3234377
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 09:01 AM   #13

Tire pressure is a simple process, weigh your coach full of fuel, water and belongings then adjust pressure using manufacturers chart and add 5 lbs.

2020 Verona LE
truk4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by truk4u View Post
Tire pressure is a simple process, weigh your coach full of fuel, water and belongings then adjust pressure using manufacturers chart and add 5 lbs.

Exactly, that is why tire manufacturers produce those charts. Pressures need to be the same across the axel and if there is a heavy corner that is the weight that is used on that axel.
twc88 is offline   Reply With Quote

« Baggage door width | - »