RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-13-2020, 12:25 PM   #29

So I finally got a chance to call Renegade and as I understand it now the 2020 MY Verona no longer has the battery disconnect switch (no more yellow switch) in the battery bay. You have the house switch by the door and you can turn off your inverter using the inverter remote up in the cab overhead - but no manual battery disconnect switch. Looks like now I have to add some solar if I don't want to kill my house battery bank in storage (or add a simple disconnect, but where is the fun in that...).
2017 Keystone Sprinter 325BMK (Our Backup RV)
jalewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2020, 12:31 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalewis View Post
So I finally got a chance to call Renegade and as I understand it now the 2020 MY Verona no longer has the battery disconnect switch (no more yellow switch) in the battery bay. You have the house switch by the door and you can turn off your inverter using the inverter remote up in the cab overhead - but no manual battery disconnect switch. Looks like now I have to add some solar if I don't want to kill my house battery bank in storage (or add a simple disconnect, but where is the fun in that...).
eBay and Amazon now both offer a high current (300 amp) battery switch for under $20. As you say, there's not much fun in that, but you could do what I do and just disconnect the battery grounds, 1-2 ground(s) for the 12 volt chassis batteries, and 1 for the 6 volt house batteries...though normally I just remove one end of the jumper between them.

Battery Disconnect Switch

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 12:40 PM   #31

Just an FYI, I unplugged my coach for 5 days, made sure everything was off inverter and all, did not use battery disconnect switches, and battery voltage was at 12.4 when I just checked, which is more than acceptable. If batteries are going dead something is on IMHO. If inverter is left on, microwave and TV will stay powered on and kill the batteries. Antenna power booster. Fridge, even if propane will kill batteries (controls run by 12v), back lite light panel switches, anything. Only time I have ever used a disconnect switch is when I am not going to be around for a long time, I will shut everything down just for safety. This is with twenty plus years camping and several rigs. I just can't believe that Renegade is making coach's without a battery disconnect switch that will kill the batteries in a few days without being plugged in. If they are shame on them.

This is just my .02 from my experiences.
Tom C
twc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 01:13 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by twc88 View Post
Just an FYI, I unplugged my coach for 5 days, made sure everything was off inverter and all, did not use battery disconnect switches, and battery voltage was at 12.4 when I just checked, which is more than acceptable. If batteries are going dead something is on IMHO. If inverter is left on, microwave and TV will stay powered on and kill the batteries. Antenna power booster. Fridge, even if propane will kill batteries (controls run by 12v), back lite light panel switches, anything. Only time I have ever used a disconnect switch is when I am not going to be around for a long time, I will shut everything down just for safety. This is with twenty plus years camping and several rigs. I just can't believe that Renegade is making coach's without a battery disconnect switch that will kill the batteries in a few days without being plugged in. If they are shame on them.

This is just my .02 from my experiences.
Tom C
It's been pretty common over the 16 years I've been full time RV'ing to read hundreds of complaints by new owners of their batteries dying quickly. My Journey will die within 5 days, and I have to practice frugal usage of battery power. I've tested it. This is pretty common, even with the battery disconnects most models have because there are often sneak loads still on the batts, like the radio, tranni, and engine memories, all the detectors, like propane and CO are still live.

And there's also been millions of RVs made where the only charging for the chassis batteries has either been the alternator when the engine is running, or a weak 8-10 watt solar panel on the roof. So no chassis battery charging even when plugged into shore power. That's what the Trik-L-Start and Amp-L-Start and those other 'keep charged' devices have been about. There are models of RVs that include a float charger on shore power, or offer larger solar panels, but not all do, especially if they were the low end models.

You have been lucky that it appears you've been able to afford high end RVs over the years but even there, my '02 Journey (consider their high end model of the time) didn't come with a float charger for the chassis batteries. There is a tiny 8 watt solar panel for them but it outputs 1/2 amp when the sun is at it's brightest. Waste of real estate on the roof. Totally worthless that tiny thing trying to keep two large 12 volt batteries charged, more like a sales scam as optional equipment rather than a functional device.

So congratulations on finding and owning those RVs that did or are doing an excellent job of reducing or eliminating phantom draws on the batteries. Maybe that's the new normal...but I kind of doubt it. Too much incentive for RV manufacturers to leave out that equipment that may prevent phantom draws on their low end models.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 11:41 AM   #33

Hello - More than likely the Inverter was on which causes a constant draw. Newer inverter's have a search feature where they will shut down until a device is turned on which saves a lot of draw. In any case, if your coach has a power down feature at the door, you should shut it down as well as the shut-off for the engine breaker any time the coach is un-attended.

Also, not sure if your have a residential refrigerator if so, your best best is to turn off the breaker in the 110 volt panel when not in use. It's not good at all on flooded or AGM batteries to discharge them so keep in mind each event taxes the batteries life-span.

Regards - Mike
Idleup is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, house batteries