Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2022, 05:44 AM   #1

2022 Renegade Verona tripping breakers

I purchased a new 2022 Verona a few months ago and have issues with tripping breakers.

A few days after purchase we were running on generator for a few days then plugged in a 50amp at a RV park without any issues. Both AC's were used while on genny and plugged in.

Two weeks later we were at a Walmart parking lot, I cranked up genny then waited a minute or two and turned on both AC's. The breaker on Genny tripped within a minute or two, so I turned off AC's and flipped on breaker, waited a minute or two and turned on AC's and again genny breaker trips. We managed by using only 1 AC.

Plugged back into a different 50 amp service for a month without any issues. One of the days I disconnected from service and started up genny with both AC's, ran for a hour, no problems.

Yesterday I connect to a 50 amp service a friends house, who has had several large RV connected up in the past. I turn on both AC's and his breaker trips within a minute. Try it a second time and again it trips. I then turn on 1 ac let it run for an hour then the second one and no problems all night. I'm using a EMS with everything showing normal.

My general procedure is when a breaker trips I turn off AC's. When I flip breaker back on I wait a minute or two before turning on AC's, but turn them on within seconds of each other. Is the answer waiting a few minutes before turning on AC no 2?

I'm scheduled for warranty work on a few different items in a dealership in a few weeks and wondering if they can check anything knowing if they can't repeat the problem they can't fix anything.
RodnReel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2022, 07:00 AM   #2

My general procedure is when a breaker trips I turn off AC's. When I flip breaker back on I wait a minute or two before turning on AC's, but turn them on within seconds of each other. Is the answer waiting a few minutes before turning on AC no 2?

Definitely wait until A/C one is up to speed and stable before turning "ON" number two. Also wait 5 minutes or more after shutting an A/C down before trying to restart it.

Electric motor starting current
When ever a large 120 volt AC motor is started, the motor draws several times more current than normal. This over current should last for a few seconds then current should drop to manageable levels as motor comes up to speed.

120 volt circuit breakers are designed to allow this high over current for short periods.

Starting two AC motors at the same time can often trip the breaker. Allow motor number one to come up to speed and stabilize before starting number two.

Restarting electric compressors
Making things worse, a running air conditioner has high pressure inside because that is what compressors do. Restarting the compressor while high pressure is present requires even more starting current. Wait 5 minutes before trying to restart an air conditioner.

Other high current devices
Starting two A/C compressors, an electric water heater, battery charger, and other things all at the same time only makes things worse. Pedestal and main breakers may be tripped.

Under normal operating conditions, things that start automatically like water heaters start one at a time. Plugging in while all these things are "ON" starts all of them at once.

Many RV owners make it a point to shut off high current devices before unplugging or switching from shore to generator. Switch them back "ON" one at a time.

This is easier on plugs, sockets, and transfer switches as well. They will last longer.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 08:27 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post

Definitely wait until A/C one is up to speed and stable before turning "ON" number two. Also wait 5 minutes or more after shutting an A/C down before trying to restart it.

Electric motor starting current
When ever a large 120 volt AC motor is started, the motor draws several times more current than normal. This over current should last for a few seconds then current should drop to manageable levels as motor comes up to speed.

120 volt circuit breakers are designed to allow this high over current for short periods.

Starting two AC motors at the same time can often trip the breaker. Allow motor number one to come up to speed and stabilize before starting number two.

Restarting electric compressors
Making things worse, a running air conditioner has high pressure inside because that is what compressors do. Restarting the compressor while high pressure is present requires even more starting current. Wait 5 minutes before trying to restart an air conditioner.

Other high current devices
Starting two A/C compressors, an electric water heater, battery charger, and other things all at the same time only makes things worse. Pedestal and main breakers may be tripped.

Under normal operating conditions, things that start automatically like water heaters start one at a time. Plugging in while all these things are "ON" starts all of them at once.

Many RV owners make it a point to shut off high current devices before unplugging or switching from shore to generator. Switch them back "ON" one at a time.

This is easier on plugs, sockets, and transfer switches as well. They will last longer.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!

Disagree. The generator should have more than enough output to run everything on that rig, and surely while on shore power. We often run for days straight on the generator both ac’s running, lights etc. additionally running an air compressor and lights in the trailer. I would be leaning towards a faulty breaker or inverter. The great news is you bought a renegade….and they will stand behind the product. Let us know what you find out.
RaceRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 08:55 AM   #4

You may have a faulty breaker but doubtful given you are also tripping shore power breakers. What you didn't tell us is what else do you have running when you start your AC's? Is your Aquahot on electric? Are you starting AC's when your inverter/charger is at peak power draw charging your batteries? Are you running the washer/dryer, microwave, coffee maker and other higher load electric appliances at the same time?
DockmasterAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 12:24 PM   #5

In both cases only other items on was a few lights and frig. Once the genny breaker tripped and once my friends 50amp service so it has to be either surge something is up with the AC's.

I do have the rear AC hooked to lithium batteries on second solar controller and additional inverter but haven't used it yet. If this would be the issue it seems to me it would happen more often.

I'm now going on 24 hours hooked up to friends service and everything is working as it should.
RodnReel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 06:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodnReel View Post
In both cases only other items on was a few lights and frig. Once the genny breaker tripped and once my friends 50amp service so it has to be either surge something is up with the AC's.

I do have the rear AC hooked to lithium batteries on second solar controller and additional inverter but haven't used it yet. If this would be the issue it seems to me it would happen more often.

I'm now going on 24 hours hooked up to friends service and everything is working as it should.
So:
Something that happens occasionally
It takes 1 minute to trip the breaker

This still looks similar to a motor starting issue.

Make and model of all 120 volt devices that have motors that would start when you first connect? A/C1, A/C2, compressor refer, other?

Less common current users:

What is the make and model of the battery charger used to charge the lithium batteries bank. (Most chargers are not big enough to contribute significantly to tripping a 50 amp breaker.)

Do you have more than one 120 volt charger on the battery bank (not counting solar or engine systems).

Do you have holding tank heaters?
Do you have an engine block heater?

Measure the power consumption:
Get a good surge protector/power analyzer. This would be a good practice for all 50 amp 240 volt split phase powered RV's even if you do not have circuit breaker tripping problems.

You need
  • voltage on both hot legs (low voltage increases current for A/C motors)
  • current on both hot legs
  • open neutral protection (needed for protection of 50 amp split phase systems)
  • data logging/error code logging (needed to catch intermittent problems)
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breaker