Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2022, 12:59 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
If the unit has the Firefly touchscreen it will also have to be reprogrammed. When on battery power only it is programmed to shed the load.
I would like to do the same thing in my Classic with factory lithium.

You may only need a newer version of Firefly software. Mine is running 1.4.1 and it has a user-selectable option for a 2nd inverter. I assume it would have all the same shedding logic that the 1st inverter has, but I can't say that for sure, only having one. My only point is, you may not need anything custom from Firefly to add an inverter.
Uncle_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2022, 02:44 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp709 View Post
Thanks, fotfox, for the update using your XL. I like that setup. I am considering installing a second Inverter and running one AC unit through that to accomplish what your coach does. The trick will be finding the feed to that AC and rerouting it to the new inverter. The Explorer has the option of Lithium batteries. I have selected three Gamechanger GC3, 270 amp batteries. I could go with 2 or 4. They all fit in the forward compartment where the lead/acid house and starting batteries are. This is nice. If I knew I could run an AC unit, I would opt for 4. How much battery in your XL? Also, do you know the maximum charging current coming from the truck engine?
With two AC units, one for body of coach and the second for bedroom, and two inverters is there any advantage which AC to hook up to the second inverter.
RodnReel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 03:46 PM   #31

I have a 2022 Explorer being delivered next month. i had their service area add a. second 3,000 watt inverter that will run the front AC. Also, upgraded to 4 lithium batteries although not necessary.
Old 03-09-2022, 03:03 AM   #32

Johngflyer, can you give me more details of your second inverter modification? How did they shop wire the unit so that it can be dedicated to the AC front and using which battery source etc? My Explorer is to be built the last day of this month. Not sure if IWS in Idaho would want to tackle this, but I am interested. I opted for 3 GC3 but could add the fourth later.
rp709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 07:44 AM   #33

Quote:
Johngflyer, can you give me more details of your second inverter modification? How did they shop wire the unit so that it can be dedicated to the AC front and using which battery source etc? My Explorer is to be built the last day of this month. Not sure if IWS in Idaho would want to tackle this, but I am interested. I opted for 3 GC3 but could add the fourth later.
Thanks for the reply - I's highly unlikely the factory will re-wire the coach for liability reasons. Basically moving the AC to the inverter only requires lifting it off the main panel and running it to the inverter panel when you have ample amperage. What size inverter do you have?

Please explain what 3 GC3

I just finished my new system called "5112 Dual Voltage Dual Inverter System" I highly suggest you watch this 45 minute video on my new system. It allows running two AC units a cooktop and fridge at the same time. Check it out here:

Mike
Idleup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 10:54 PM   #34

Renegade provides the Battleborn Game Changer GC3 battery with their lithium upgrade option. These are 270 amp/hour batteries. The lithium option includes 2 batteries with the option of adding a 3rd or 4th unit. I am buying a lithium system consisting of 3 GC3 batteries and 525 watts of solar.
rp709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 05:08 AM   #35

Second inverter in Explorer

Quote:
The Renegade factory service center is adding my second inverter and rewiring the MH so it runs the front AC unit off the 4 Lithium batteries I'm having them install 4 Lithium batteries although this could be done using the standard batteries. Allen Burgess is who you will deal with. Some work was done on the production line to make it easier for him to do install. The second AC will not be run through the Firefly system, I believe. I have no idea of the details of how they rewired it. I would send Allen and email ASAP so some things can be done on the production line. His email is: aburgess@renegaderv.com. Hope this helps.
Old 03-11-2022, 03:28 AM   #36

I'm scheduled to take delivery of a Renegade in April. I'ts my understanding the neither the front or rear AC is hooked up to the inverter from the factory.

I am giving some thought to add a second inverter and see if they can hook both ac units to it, knowing I can run only one at a time.

If they will only hook up one, I think I will choose the rear so we can stay cool while sleeping.
RodnReel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 06:38 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodnReel View Post
I'm scheduled to take delivery of a Renegade in April. I'ts my understanding the neither the front or rear AC is hooked up to the inverter from the factory.

I am giving some thought to add a second inverter and see if they can hook both ac units to it, knowing I can run only one at a time.

If they will only hook up one, I think I will choose the rear so we can stay cool while sleeping.
Thanks for the reply - I strongly suggest that you forget running the 2nd AC unit unless you have a large battery pack above 25,000 watt hours somewhat like the one I installed in my Canyon Star below:

Lithium batteries in RV's are not to the point where they can replace a generator. If you run two AC units with the limited batteries Renegade is offering you'll need 2 3000 watt or one 5000 watt inverter and you'll still only get a few hours if that. You're better off closing the bedroom door and run one AC unit for 2-4 hours.

Bottom line running two AC units you'll quickly discharge the limited batteries they install and need the to run he generator to charge them back up - so why not just run the generator?

One of the biggest lithium misconceptions is once RV owners get a lithium upgrade they feel its Taboo to run the generator. We all paid thousands for our Onan's generators so use it - you'll need to genny for any extended AC operation.
Stay Safe Mike
Old 07-07-2022, 11:40 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
If the unit has the Firefly touchscreen it will also have to be reprogrammed. When on battery power only it is programmed to shed the load.
I would like to do the same thing in my Classic with factory lithium.
Ok I would like to run the front AC on batteries and have the batteries to do this, but the Firefly system will not let me. It in keeps shedding load. I even moved the 30 amp front ac breaker to the inverter breaker panel.
We are talking about a 2021 Verona.
How do we reprogram the Firefly system?
BrewskiRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 04:53 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewskiRanch View Post
Ok I would like to run the front AC on batteries and have the batteries to do this, but the Firefly system will not let me. It in keeps shedding load. I even moved the 30 amp front ac breaker to the inverter breaker panel.
We are talking about a 2021 Verona.
How do we reprogram the Firefly system?

Running the AC has nothing to do with Firefly - The front AC is not wired to run off the inverter, it is only designed to run receptacles and a few devices.

If you want the AC to run off the batteries you'll have to pick up the AC leads from the main panel and re-run them to the inverter AC panel. Check out my web site at RVVOLT.COM there is a number of my installation there you can refer to.

Thanks Mike
RVVOLT.COM
Old 07-07-2022, 06:32 PM   #40

Mike
I want to thank you for all your write ups. I have read them at least twice. One of the reasons of buying a Verona is because of your write ups.
IMG_3054.jpg
As you can see on the FireFly screen it will not allow me to run the AC it says shed. I have moved the front AC line to the inverter breaker panel also. There is something that monitoring the AC line that will not allow me to run the front AC on the inverter, only with shore power. I am using the inverter that came with the 2021 Verona, 3000 watts should be enough to run the front AC without any other load.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3054.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	260.3 KB
ID:	370451  
BrewskiRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 10:06 PM   #41

Hello - Please Look on your sub panel for the inverter, is there a breaker for either of the AC units?

Mike
Old 07-08-2022, 08:09 AM   #42

Can you configure the order in which it "sheds" devices? Because you are not on 50 amp, it won't allow your front AC to run because its giving priority to rear. Its either programmed that way in Firefly or you may have option to change order of priority of devices it sheds. It would be under the electrical config page. If its programmed that way, you would likely have to get Firefly to make a customization for you which is several thousand dollars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewskiRanch View Post
Mike
I want to thank you for all your write ups. I have read them at least twice. One of the reasons of buying a Verona is because of your write ups.
IMG_3054.jpg
As you can see on the FireFly screen it will not allow me to run the AC it says shed. I have moved the front AC line to the inverter breaker panel also. There is something that monitoring the AC line that will not allow me to run the front AC on the inverter, only with shore power. I am using the inverter that came with the 2021 Verona, 3000 watts should be enough to run the front AC without any other load.

Tags
charger, inverter