Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2021, 07:57 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragline View Post
Mike
Not to go totally off topic, But your post poses a question which I have been researching garnering opinions etc. in reading your posts referring to AC you stated you do a lot of Boondocking sometimes in a warehouse and at times in a field, regarding the color of your Coach do you find the interior to be warmer/hotter when in direct sun i.e. harder to cool because of the darker color as opposed to a lighter color?
Thanks for the reply - Absolutely, color has everything to do with the interiors temperature, dark coaches are much harder to cool - however it works in opposite during winter to cut heating cost. Another contributing factor is solar panels create and absorb major heat which is transferred to the roof. Fortunately, Renegade does offer an insulated attic-style roof on their coaches which helps to keep the heat out of the interior.

This reminds me of a Safari RV I once owned when living in Florida, she was dark dark green and making matter worse, the sides were metal so all the heat was transferred into the walls. During summer when I had to run both roof and dash air to make it livable. Making matters worse, the dash vents were round and the size of a 50 cent coin down by my knees, horrible!

A few months after buying the coach with many other problems, like being impossible to steer since it was around 30 ft and a pusher with no weight on the steering axle, I finally dumped it one day driving by Lazy Days, they were not open yet but I managed to trade that same day for a 36' American Dream which was an amazing coach of its time. As a Perk - I was Lazy Days first high-line coach sale!!

Bottom line all these factors make big differences when your trying to cool a coach with limited lithium power since in most cases you'll be limited to one roof AC using a 3000 watt inverter.

Regards - Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a panels.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	247.5 KB
ID:	343025  
Idleup is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2021, 08:14 AM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
Yes, the generator will run an RV A/C.

An inverter/generator has no relation to an inverter.

The inverter/generator will supply 25 amps at 120 volts. The A/C may draw less than 15 amps while running and less than 25 amps for a few seconds while it starts. That will be just fine.

An inverter uses 12 volt DC to produce 120 volt A/C power. It is separate from the inverter/generator. The inverter will have its own power generating capability and probably cannot power the A/C for very long or maybe not at all.

I have never seen an RV that had an inverter to power just the A/C. Even those that have a large inverter rarely are capable of powering an A/C. That requires a huge battery bank.

Your new RV may not have an inverter at all. If it did, the features and specifications should say that it does.

For a more precise answer please post the make and model of the inverter. Check with your dealer to see if it will have an inverter.
Country Coach did have an option that powered one heat pump from an inverter and the battery bank. Had 2 3,000 watt inverters, 6 8D 12 volt batteries and a 12.5 Kw generator.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 09:15 AM   #17

Mike - Can you tell me which solar panels you have in the picture you posted above?
MagnaTudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 05:13 PM   #18

Sure mine are the Xantrex 110 watt Flex Panels. These are the screw down version, they also make a Peel and Stick version as well. Xantrex was changing their panel manufacture and these came up on in their Xantrex Online store for a great price.

Regards - Mike
Idleup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 06:08 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
I have never seen an RV that had an inverter to power just the A/C. Even those that have a large inverter rarely are capable of powering an A/C. That requires a huge battery bank.

My XL has two 3000 watt inverters. One is dedicated to the middle AC. I hardly ever run the generator unless I need to use the washer/dryer going down the road. While driving the engine keeps the house batteries charged (along with the solar if there is sun) and the combination of the middle ac and chassis ac keeps the coach cool.

When stopping at a rest stop overnight the battery bank powers the inverter and the middle ac runs just fine while I sleep. When I get up and start the coach it charges the bank back up.

On rare occasions where I need more then the one ac to cool the coach, I run the generator.
fotofx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 09:34 AM   #20

Thanks, fotfox, for the update using your XL. I like that setup. I am considering installing a second Inverter and running one AC unit through that to accomplish what your coach does. The trick will be finding the feed to that AC and rerouting it to the new inverter. The Explorer has the option of Lithium batteries. I have selected three Gamechanger GC3, 270 amp batteries. I could go with 2 or 4. They all fit in the forward compartment where the lead/acid house and starting batteries are. This is nice. If I knew I could run an AC unit, I would opt for 4. How much battery in your XL? Also, do you know the maximum charging current coming from the truck engine?
rp709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 10:30 AM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rp709 View Post
Thanks, fotfox, for the update using your XL. I like that setup. I am considering installing a second Inverter and running one AC unit through that to accomplish what your coach does. The trick will be finding the feed to that AC and rerouting it to the new inverter. The Explorer has the option of Lithium batteries. I have selected three Gamechanger GC3, 270 amp batteries. I could go with 2 or 4. They all fit in the forward compartment where the lead/acid house and starting batteries are. This is nice. If I knew I could run an AC unit, I would opt for 4. How much battery in your XL? Also, do you know the maximum charging current coming from the truck engine?

I have an Explorer on order with four GC3’s. I don’t believe the factory will add a second inverter to a coach with only two a/c’s. I could be wrong, so I would check with your salesperson/factory rep to confirm. If they would, I would do it if there is no downside (besides cost).
Harleydeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 04:53 AM   #22

Quote:
I have 3 8D AGM batteries. Not sure about the alternator output.
fotofx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 08:56 AM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
Any estimated cost to upgrade a 2022 Valencia stock so one could run one AC at least overnight?
pgrennan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 09:01 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgrennan3 View Post
Any estimated cost to upgrade a 2022 Valencia stock so one could run one AC at least overnight?

Not economically reasonable.

Can it be done-- sure! All it takes is a lot of $$$
Old 01-17-2022, 10:07 AM   #25

Talking

Nice thread. Idleup video is interesting too.

We just bought a used Grand Design 5th wheel with Xantrex 3000 Freedom X inverter , 2 group 27 wet battery and Jaboni solar system with 1 panel on the roof. I am a newbie to solar systems and Inverters.

i do know the Xantrex is hooked to the GFCI circuit and 1 other.

Thanks
Old 01-21-2022, 01:41 PM   #26

Quote:
You’ll find the A/C feeds directly behind their breakers on the main AC panel, which is normally mounted immediately above or below the inverter’s AC panel. Renegade uses 10 ga romex for A/C feeds, which has an orange jacket, so very easy to distinguish from other feeds. Depending on how you wire your second inverter, moving the A/C feed to another breaker panel might be very simple.
Uncle_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 05:25 AM   #27

If the unit has the Firefly touchscreen it will also have to be reprogrammed. When on battery power only it is programmed to shed the load.
I would like to do the same thing in my Classic with factory lithium.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 10:48 AM   #28

Uncle Mike thanks for the wiring info. This sounds like a doable project. Not running the generator driving not only saves fuel but is aesthetically appealing to me. I’ll check with my sales rep and see what he knows. The coach should be delivered in March.
rp709 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger, inverter