Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-06-2021, 05:40 PM   #1

3,000 watt inverter/charger

I have ordered a 2022 Renegade Explorer. The coach comes with a 3k inverter/generator. I am wondering what circuits are powered by this unit. Specifically, can an AC unit be powered by the inverter? I know some Classics have dual inverters and possibly one is dedicated to AC?
rp709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2021, 05:45 PM   #2

Yes, the generator will run an RV A/C.

An inverter/generator has no relation to an inverter.

The inverter/generator will supply 25 amps at 120 volts. The A/C may draw less than 15 amps while running and less than 25 amps for a few seconds while it starts. That will be just fine.

An inverter uses 12 volt DC to produce 120 volt A/C power. It is separate from the inverter/generator. The inverter will have its own power generating capability and probably cannot power the A/C for very long or maybe not at all.

I have never seen an RV that had an inverter to power just the A/C. Even those that have a large inverter rarely are capable of powering an A/C. That requires a huge battery bank.

Your new RV may not have an inverter at all. If it did, the features and specifications should say that it does.

For a more precise answer please post the make and model of the inverter. Check with your dealer to see if it will have an inverter.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 05:48 PM   #3

rp709, I'm visiting the Renegade Factory on Friday and your question is one of 35 that is on my list to ask.

Can you share where you ordered your Explorer and how much below MSRP they discounted.
RodnReel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 08:47 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Wonít be possible on the Explorer with one inverter and two a/cís. On the Classics with three a/cís you can add a 2nd inverter to power the center a/c.
Harleydeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 07:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
Yes, the generator will run an RV A/C.

An inverter/generator has no relation to an inverter.

The inverter/generator will supply 25 amps at 120 volts. The A/C may draw less than 15 amps while running and less than 25 amps for a few seconds while it starts. That will be just fine.

An inverter uses 12 volt DC to produce 120 volt A/C power. It is separate from the inverter/generator. The inverter will have its own power generating capability and probably cannot power the A/C for very long or maybe not at all.

I have never seen an RV that had an inverter to power just the A/C. Even those that have a large inverter rarely are capable of powering an A/C. That requires a huge battery bank.

Your new RV may not have an inverter at all. If it did, the features and specifications should say that it does.

For a more precise answer please post the make and model of the inverter. Check with your dealer to see if it will have an inverter.
Hello a 3000 watt inverter such as a Xantrex or Magnum inverter using a lithium battery can easily run the roof top air conditioner. In fact the lithium system I just installed in my Verona will easily run my AC unit for 12 hours continuously on my lithium battery system. I have on numerous times ran both the microwave and AC on my inverter when making dinner on lithium and inverter power. I produced a video of my install and included a link below.

Most all the new Onan 6kw & 8Kw come standard with an inverter Generator however it works a bit differently than the inverter in your RV. A inverter generator only runs at the speed needed to produce the needed amperage. Therefore instead of running a constant 1800 rpm all the time a inverter generator will spend most of its time at idle or just above idle to supply the needed power. This design saves fuel and wear and is very quiet compared to a standard generator set.

Enjoy Mike

Idleup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 12:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idleup View Post
Hello a 3000 watt inverter such as a Xantrex or Magnum inverter using a lithium battery can easily run the roof top air conditioner. In fact the lithium system I just installed in my Verona will easily run my AC unit for 12 hours continuously on my lithium battery system. I have on numerous times ran both the microwave and AC on my inverter when making dinner on lithium and inverter power. I produced a video of my install and included a link below.

Most all the new Onan 6kw & 8Kw come standard with an inverter Generator however it works a bit differently than the inverter in your RV. A inverter generator only runs at the speed needed to produce the needed amperage. Therefore instead of running a constant 1800 rpm all the time a inverter generator will spend most of its time at idle or just above idle to supply the needed power. This design saves fuel and wear and is very quiet compared to a standard generator set.

Enjoy Mike

After running the AC on lithium batteries for 12 hours, what do you charge them with ?

I would think that they are deeply discharged.

If you deplete the batteries during daytime hours, solar isn't going to charge them overnight.
That and if you wait for the next day, your going to need a huge solar array and not run the AC.

That leaves the good old reliable generator to do the job, day after day.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 07:52 AM   #7

Twinboat thanks for the reply - The 12 hours I mentioned was from a standpoint of capacity. Actually, my Lithionics lithium battery set putting our over 16,000 watt hours, will run the AC for 24 hours at a 50% cycle. The bedroom is only 8'x9' so it cools instantly. After cool down, the pump only runs 5 minutes every 30-60 min, I've gone 4 days with AC at night in a warehouse with no solar. My work entails designing and flight testing of military drone equipment which requires me to be at military sites or on a range for up to 1-2 weeks with no power. The Lithium makes it so I seldom ever need the Generator which I can't do in a closed hanger.

I have a number of ways to recharge, there is a 1kw solar system on the roof, this combined with just driving to my next days destination the engine alternator easily puts back what I use for a night of AC. Of course there is always my 8 kw Onan if I need it. What little time I do spend at a friends house or business, I can plug in on two separate cords to re-charge. I equipped the coach with two independent Xantrex inverters (shown in the images) so I can re-charge quickly at 300 amps if needed.

Stay Safe - Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	masbatt system.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	246.8 KB
ID:	342589  
Old 09-10-2021, 08:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idleup View Post
Twinboat thanks for the reply - The 12 hours I mentioned was from a standpoint of capacity. Actually, my Lithionics lithium battery set putting our over 16,000 watt hours, will run the AC for 24 hours at a 50% cycle. The bedroom is only 8'x9' so it cools instantly. After cool down, the pump only runs 5 minutes every 30-60 min, I've gone 4 days with AC at night in a warehouse with no solar. My work entails designing and flight testing of military drone equipment which requires me to be at military sites or on a range for up to 1-2 weeks with no power. The Lithium makes it so I seldom ever need the Generator which I can't do in a closed hanger.

I have a number of ways to recharge, there is a 1kw solar system on the roof, this combined with just driving to my next days destination the engine alternator easily puts back what I use for a night of AC. Of course there is always my 8 kw Onan if I need it. What little time I do spend at a friends house or business, I can plug in on two separate cords to re-charge. I equipped the coach with two independent Xantrex inverters (shown in the images) so I can re-charge quickly at 300 amps if needed.

Stay Safe - Mike
So your cooling one small room of your RV, in an environmentally controlled building.

Doesnt sounds like a setup all RVers would have on their rigs.

Your setup probably costs more the many RVs.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 06:15 PM   #9

It's not an "environmentally controlled building" its a warehouse or hanger or a field.

It's actually the opposite of your statement that RV's don't want lithium systems. possibly 70% of RV owners would like to have a lithium system in their coach. In just a few years almost every manufacture will offer a lithium system and the AGM and flooded bateries will be like 8 track tapes. Many RV companies such as Midwest Automotive have deleted the generator and install lithium where the generator once was. Regarding cost, the price of lithium batteries has dropped more than 50% in the past few years.

Mike
Old 09-10-2021, 07:58 PM   #10

Inverter charger

So sorry for the confusion. I meant to ask about how the Magnum inverter/CHARGER is wired into the coach. Are all 110V circuits powered by the inverter, including the AC units? I understand how much power it takes to run AC units. The XL or Classic is sometimes shown with 2 inverters of 3k each and a statement that this allows an inverter to power an AC unit. Hence the confusion.
Old 09-10-2021, 07:59 PM   #11

Please send a private message to discuss.
Old 09-11-2021, 07:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp709 View Post
So sorry for the confusion. I meant to ask about how the Magnum inverter/CHARGER is wired into the coach. Are all 110V circuits powered by the inverter, including the AC units? I understand how much power it takes to run AC units. The XL or Classic is sometimes shown with 2 inverters of 3k each and a statement that this allows an inverter to power an AC unit. Hence the confusion.

Not certain how Renegade is wiring their Magnum inverters, I run my entire coach off Xantrex inverters both front and rear air and kitchen. Unlike theirs mine is completely isolated in it's own compartment to control temperature and provide a clean water and salt spray free environment year round

In fact. I just visited the Renegade facility a few weeks ago for a show and tell on the integration of my system. Here's a link to my Lithium video below if you would like to know more on the design.

Regards - Mike
Old 09-14-2021, 06:56 AM   #13

Mike
Not to go totally off topic, But your post poses a question which I have been researching garnering opinions etc. in reading your posts referring to AC you stated you do a lot of Boondocking sometimes in a warehouse and at times in a field, regarding the color of your Coach do you find the interior to be warmer/hotter when in direct sun i.e. harder to cool because of the darker color as opposed to a lighter color?
Dragline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 07:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleydeal View Post
Wonít be possible on the Explorer with one inverter and two a/cís. On the Classics with three a/cís you can add a 2nd inverter to power the center a/c.

The reason for this is that the Explorer is a single rear axle, and Renegade will only install 3 AC units on rigs with a 12KW Onan. And the extra weight of that unit, combined with its location behind the rear axle, requires a dual rear axle, which rules out the Explorer. Not an uncommon configuration for Classics, however.
Uncle_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger, inverter