Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2019, 02:05 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Adding a ladder

Has anyone added a ladder on the back of their Renegade Verona? I miss that feature and wondered if anyone has checked into it. I am also making an inquiry with the factory?
This would help for solar and maintenance, plus carrying the bikes.

Thanks
chipf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2019, 05:43 PM   #2

Chip: it will be interesting to hear what the factory says about a ladder. If you get under your coach and look up you will see there is about 5” from the exterior wall of the “box” to the fiberglass end cap. I would be very surprised if a ladder can be affixed to the fiberglass skin at this time without major reenforcement and not sure how that would be accomplished post construction. On the Classics they install ladders but that coach does not have the fiberglass end caps like the Veronas. I may be all wet here who knows?! Best of luck
ragoodspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:34 PM   #3

When I ordered in 2016 one dealer (the one I eventually ordered through (IWS) told me “ no way.” )Another dealer told me they would add one but not guarantee it would hold up. I talked to Renegade pleading for them to instal one but they said it wasn’t designed for a ladder and there was nothing solid to attach it to. That was for my 2017.....might have changed?
netjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:09 PM   #4

Just look up and you will see it is impossible to attach a ladder. One could attach one but it will be used just once! Everything is a trade off and I personally like the finished look of the end cap
Old 07-16-2019, 10:29 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragoodspeed View Post
Just look up and you will see it is impossible to attach a ladder. One could attach one but it will be used just once! Everything is a trade off and I personally like the finished look of the end cap
Thanks for the feedback. I see what you mean about the space and cap.
Factory said "not recommended".
So there we are.
Safe travels all.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:03 PM   #6

Our previous three class A's had the rear ladder. Thought I could not live without one. However after purchasing a 15' telescoping ladder which easily fits in a compartment and takes up very little room found it has many additional uses.
Tom&Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:58 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom&Marie View Post
Our previous three class A's had the rear ladder. Thought I could not live without one. However after purchasing a 15' telescoping ladder which easily fits in a compartment and takes up very little room found it has many additional uses.
I'm not a fan of the telescoping ladders. I was in the property adjusting business for the last 15 years and saw too many of those ladders collapse. I know the size is perfect, but don't trust them. Just me though based on my experiences. Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:01 AM   #8

Ladder

Thanks for your observation , I have never heard of any problems with those ladders ...... I will make sure each section is properly locked....
Tom&Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 02:03 PM   #9

Without a fixed ladder one has a slight improvement from a security perspective. It takes a thieve about 1 minute to climb onto the roof, cut a quick hole in the shower dome and they are into your coach. The numbers of times (0) in three years of ownership that I might need a ladder I will use a good collapsible one. Thanks, RAG
Old 07-31-2019, 11:25 AM   #10

Use the ladder all the time on my Classic to keep the solar panels and roof clean. I really think it would be a stretch to think someone would climb up 13 and a half feet to bust thru the roof to vandalize an RV. I guess it's been done. It would be bad for them if I was inside. Maybe time for a roof cam. Lol
PA RENEGADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 03:40 PM   #11

PA: I utilize a 10’ step ladder when home to wash the roof, get snow off, etc.
I have seen several news shows (Dateline ,etc) that showed how weak RV security is in that lock set keys are everywhere, people watch from a far for RV owners when they key in their combination on electronic key pads and oh yes dropping thru shower and roof vents. I do not worry much but it is all reality.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom&Marie View Post
Thanks for your observation , I have never heard of any problems with those ladders ...... I will make sure each section is properly locked....
There are a fair number of reports of collapsing with the less-expensive/off brand options if you read through the on-line reviews of them.

Have not read of those issues on the better brands like Xtend and Climb, but they can often be 2X or more the price.

Definitely do the research before purchasing and don't go cheap.
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 01:12 PM   #13

After reading the message from Spuds and reviewing my response earlier I should have stated that I have the ladder that was factory installed by Renegade. I stated that I use my ladder all the time and did not want to elude to the fact I had one of the aftermarket ladders.....
PA RENEGADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 08:32 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA RENEGADE View Post
After reading the message from Spuds and reviewing my response earlier I should have stated that I have the ladder that was factory installed by Renegade. I stated that I use my ladder all the time and did not want to elude to the fact I had one of the aftermarket ladders.....
Thanks for the clarification. There is a big difference between the Renegade models-Classic vs Verona, with the Classic having the option for a factory ladder. (plus the size of the coach, engine, transmission, chassis, etc).