Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2020, 09:31 AM   #1

Air Force One or M&G 2.0 experience

My wife and I own a 2019 Renegade Classic. We love it! When the RV isn't going to the track with the race car, we flat tow a Miata. The Miata is light enough where it doesn't require a supplemental brake system. However, we are going to be changing to a 2021 Jeep Wrangler toad, which will require a supplemental brake system.

We are leaning toward the Air Force One or M&G 2.0 system. The original M&G system isn't compatible or that would be our top pick. Does anyone have any experience with either of these systems on a Renegade Classic (or Renegade). I am curious if one integrates into the Classic air system better than the other.

Since the M&G 2.0 system has most of it's components in the toad, I'm not sure if I can just utilize the glad hand air connector on the rear instead of having to tap into the existing system like the AFO.

Any info would be appreciated.
millsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2020, 12:31 PM   #2

I have had both the old M&G which did not require a hole in the firewall for a cable to the brake pedal and a new AF1 which does. The new M&G2 has to have a hole there too I understand. My old M&G attached to the toad's master cylinder only. The issue was that on that particular toad, a 2010 Enclave, the entire engine air filtration system had to be removed and a K&N installed in its place. My 2017 Enclave could not use the old M&G system so I went with the AF1. All either one required from the coach was a connection into the air brake line. The 2017 Enclave follows my 2019 Verona LE down the road.

A funny story about the 2010 Enclave is that when I sold the class A that it followed down the road, a couple bought it as a toad. All the tow gear was on it, including the M&G. They took off with it one afternoon and drove it to SE Florida where their class A was waiting with a mechanic to adapt their coach to the Enclave. After a few hours they texted me a picture of the Enclave being drug across a pasture leaving deep ruts because the wheels were locked up. What is wrong with the Enclave they asked? Nothing, I said and texted back. "Apparently your ace mechanic connected the M&G to an air line that is always active rather than one that is only active when the coach's brake pedal is pushed". Never heard from them again.
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 06:50 AM   #3

Thanks for the input. At least the owners of your prior Enclave tested the system in a pasture and not the street. That might have been a little more exciting.
Old 11-26-2020, 07:06 AM   #4

I sent an e-mail to M&G awhile back asking about a glad hand connection. They confirmed it was an option.

2018 Renegade Explorer / 2021 Jeep Gladiator
MFortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 07:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsj View Post
Since the M&G 2.0 system has most of it's components in the toad, I'm not sure if I can just utilize the glad hand air connector on the rear instead of having to tap into the existing system like the AFO.
Two things I didn't know until I read this:

1. What a Glad Hand Is.

2. That a Classic comes with one on the rear??

Cool
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:36 AM   #6

We have the AF1 system. Has worked fine for 7+ years. My only complaint is the hardware that's exposed to the environment. The brackets supplied to mount the air line connections are just painted brackets that rust in less than a year, I've made my own out of SS. Also the emergency breakaway switch isn't built for an outside environments, I have replaced mine once. Everything else works and is good quality.
bhammond1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 06:15 PM   #7

Good to know that the M&G system could utilize the glad hand connector. I suspected that might be the case. It's a little frustrating to think that I have air connections on the rear of the coach, but you still have to tap into them. I understand why the AFO system has to due to its design, but it would be nice to not have to tap the air lines.

This may not be a fair opinion, but from looking into these systems, it seems like the AFO is a complete well thought out kit and the M&G 2.0 system is piecemealed together. It also seems like there are a lot more AFO systems out there is use compared to the 2.0 system. There are many of happy original M&G system users, but far fewer 2.0 users.

That being said, if the original M&G system would fit the 2021 Wrangler, I don't think I would even be having this conversation. At the moment, I am leaning toward the AFO system.
Old 11-27-2020, 05:45 PM   #8

How about a Roadmaster Brakemaster?

Roadmaster Brakemaster

Installation Instructions
MagnaTudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 08:37 AM   #9

I know it was not one of the original options but a second the brakemaster. One good thing is it can be mover from one vehicle to another with just a seat bracket to buy, unlike the others that are vehicle specific. just my .02
twc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 09:19 AM   #10

I've taken a look at the Roadmaster system, but I really don't want to have to install or remove anything when departing or arriving at a location. We don't swap cars very often, so moving from one car to another isn't a big deal.

When we do tow the Miata, it is light enough where it doesn't require a supplemental braking system in almost all states. Our RV is about 39k pounds with a GVWR of 58k. I figure the RV can handle an extra 2500 lbs behind it with that much head room between our actual weight and gross weight. I don't think the RV would have any problem braking with the 4500 lb Jeep, but it isn't ok legally.
Old 11-28-2020, 10:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsj View Post
I've taken a look at the Roadmaster system, but I really don't want to have to install or remove anything when departing or arriving at a location. We don't swap cars very often, so moving from one car to another isn't a big deal.

Ya, that is the one drawback. It is easy but still one more thing, as thorough as I do my pre-trip I did forget it one day. Thought it felt funny stopping. Keep saying I am going to wire an indicator light in cab.
twc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:40 AM   #12

We have used an AF One on our Ram 2500 since we started towing it and it works very well.
Doug Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 04:05 PM   #13

I will add 1 comment. When I was researching a while back the one thing that sold me on the AF1 was how many people have had theirs for years and years and never had a single problem.
xcflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 06:48 PM   #14

Thanks for all the feedback. We picked up the Jeep last weekend and I have been working on setting it up for towing. I haven't gotten the brake system yet, but I'm 99% sure it will be the AF1 system.

Tags
air