Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2023, 08:53 AM   #1

Aqua Hot 250D

From listening to people around the country this subject could be quite sensitive. I have a 21 renegade Verona and have one of the original ďCovidĒ model 250D Aqua hot units. I donít even know where to begin but this unit is horribly unreliable, the saddest part is that aqua hot knows this and refuses to do anything about it. This year alone I had 4 breakdowns, mostly with the control thermostat. I would like to rip it out and replace it with the 400/450 unit which I understand is more reliable.

Does anyone have any recommendations, perhaps the newer version of the 250 is more reliable if I canít retrofit the larger model or better yet a different brand unit?
Jerseypod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2023, 10:00 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseypod View Post
From listening to people around the country this subject could be quite sensitive. I have a 21 renegade Verona and have one of the original ďCovidĒ model 250D Aqua hot units. I donít even know where to begin but this unit is horribly unreliable, the saddest part is that aqua hot knows this and refuses to do anything about it. This year alone I had 4 breakdowns, mostly with the control thermostat. I would like to rip it out and replace it with the 400/450 unit which I understand is more reliable.

Does anyone have any recommendations, perhaps the newer version of the 250 is more reliable if I canít retrofit the larger model or better yet a different brand unit?
I too have the D1 250D Aqua Hot in our 2021 Verona VRB. January 9, 2023 will be our two-year anniversary of ownership with 18,500 miles. We are currently on our 4th Control thermostat replacement. In fact, I have become fairly efficient at changing these once they fail. I have no hard recommendations as for a replacement unit, but would think the D2 Aqua Hot 250D, is likely the best option for plug and play. I know a couple of folks with the D2s. So far, they have not had similar failures.

Even with the D2 replacement, it will be an expensive deal. I have never quoted this activity but did meet a couple on the road that had had this done. Don't hold me to this, as it depends on where the work is done, but I believe it was in the $6000 -$7000 range. For what it is worth.

Not sure this helps, but I have previously posted to this site the details of how to replace the control thermostat. All that said, it is an irritating inconvenience for a coach that otherwise has been flawless.

Good luck!
Wayne
2021 Verona VRB.
trailerbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 11:32 AM   #3
Official iRV2 Sponsor

If you have room in the bay for the 400/450 you can install it. Would have some different wiring and maybe modify the exhaust but itís doable. Aqua hot is now owned by Thor and that small unit still has issues. If you are going to replace it, get the larger one. Reach out to any NIRVC service department for further assistance.
Collision Repair & Paint Restoration

SM Nashville 972-697-6325
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 08:02 PM   #4

What year did the D2's come out?
outlawten5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 07:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawten5 View Post
What year did the D2's come out?
Not for sure of the exact date. I have a friend that has a D2 in a 2022 Verona. Our 2021 has the D1.

Thanks,
Wayne
2021 Verona VRB
Old 01-25-2023, 11:08 AM   #6

Funny that the D2's aren't having an issue with the control thermostats.
Old 01-25-2023, 11:15 AM   #7

Just found this post in a search. Hopefully it solves your issues

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/aqua...sb-530465.html
Old 01-25-2023, 04:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Just found this post in a search. Hopefully it solves your issues

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/aqua...sb-530465.html
This bulletin was issued March 5,2021. After our first failure in September 2021, we have since had three failures on the new parts. Obviously, that did not fix the issue on the D1 units. The D2 do seem to have less failures so it is something different than this one part.

For what it is worth,
Wayne
2021 Verona VRB
Old 01-25-2023, 04:21 PM   #9

Can you use a flashlight to see if you have the updated part? I'm just assuming your parts provider did'nt get the TSB
Old 01-25-2023, 04:49 PM   #10

Aqua Hot seems to forget that they also made a model 525D. I suffered with intermittent issues for years until I replace my control thermostat device. I replaced it with the ELE-015-101. Problem solved - and it's been perfect through two winters so far. It seems that all AH models use this device and it should be updated. It's really easy to do and only about $65.
BonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 06:18 PM   #11

Trailerbal, I don't mean to sound condescending. Just trying to help. I've worked in service dept.s that have overlooked TSB's.
Old 01-25-2023, 07:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Trailerbal, I don't mean to sound condescending. Just trying to help. I've worked in service dept.s that have overlooked TSB's.
No offense taken! I could see how that could happen. I appreciate any and all input, with the intent to help. In our situation, the 1st, 2nd and 3rd control thermostats were shipped directly from Aqua Hot, after personal communication with their TechServices group. Each time they assured me it was the new improved part. In our case, the approved service centers were out of stock, so I had to travel to get the part, once Aqua Hot sent it to them. This is the only way they will warranty it even though I am the one doing the work to replace it. The fourth one, I just ordered from the Aqua Hot website and had it shipped to my house. I paid $64 for the part, since I was in a hurry and knew the same old answers that would come from waiting 1.5 hours, sometimes longer, to get a call back from the Aqua Hot TechServices group.

While looking for a silver lining, the part is relatively easy to replace, and I have never had to go for extended periods of time with it out of service.

Thanks again for any and all feedback!
Wayne
2021 Verona VRB
Old 01-26-2023, 10:00 AM   #13

I have a 2022 Verona that we took delivery of in January of 22. No idea if the AH 250D is a Gen 1 or a Gen 2. When I took delivery my dealer had a hard time getting the unit to keep running. They finally found a service bulletin which called for a diode to be installed in the wiring harness. This seemed to correct the problems at the time. We only used the coach a handful of times over 22 and seldom used the AH. I pulled the coach out in December to use as a bunkhouse for Xmas guests and the AH wouldn't fire on diesel or electric. I did the quick troubleshoot of the control thermostat using a fuse and the T-stat was bad. AH wouldn't send me parts under warranty unless I took the coach to a dealer which is a bigger paint than doing the work myself. I ordered this part and installed it:

https://www.heatmyrv.com/product/con...n-ele-014-010/

The unit worked great for a week over Xmas. Time will tell if this T-stat lasts. I did order a spare to keep on hand as well.
DockmasterAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 01:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockmasterAK View Post
I have a 2022 Verona that we took delivery of in January of 22. No idea if the AH 250D is a Gen 1 or a Gen 2. When I took delivery my dealer had a hard time getting the unit to keep running. They finally found a service bulletin which called for a diode to be installed in the wiring harness. This seemed to correct the problems at the time. We only used the coach a handful of times over 22 and seldom used the AH. I pulled the coach out in December to use as a bunkhouse for Xmas guests and the AH wouldn't fire on diesel or electric. I did the quick troubleshoot of the control thermostat using a fuse and the T-stat was bad. AH wouldn't send me parts under warranty unless I took the coach to a dealer which is a bigger paint than doing the work myself. I ordered this part and installed it:

https://www.heatmyrv.com/product/con...n-ele-014-010/

The unit worked great for a week over Xmas. Time will tell if this T-stat lasts. I did order a spare to keep on hand as well.
Dockmaster,
If you are interested in knowing if you have a Gen 01 or a Gen 02, it can be found on the sticker on the right side of the unit near the bottom. Second line up from the bottom has it in the Model number.

Just FYI!
Wayne
2021 Verona VRB

Tags
aqua hot