Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2022, 09:06 PM   #1

Back up camera and Fusion Power

I am a new owner of a 2020 Verona 40VRB and two things just donít make sense. Maybe they can be addressed?

The back up camera only has power when in reverse. If you touch the Camera option in the Fusion when not in reverse it says no camera exists. Super annoying. Particularly when towing. Anyone solved this?

Similar with the Fusion system itself. It is the only sounds system in the Verona but only works when accessory power is on for the chassis or the engine is running. Again, super annoying. Anyone solved this?

Anyone just replaced the Garmin Fusion altogether? What did you replace it with?
98Exec is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2022, 04:17 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Exec View Post
I am a new owner of a 2020 Verona 40VRB and two things just donít make sense. Maybe they can be addressed?

The back up camera only has power when in reverse. If you touch the Camera option in the Fusion when not in reverse it says no camera exists. Super annoying. Particularly when towing. Anyone solved this?

Similar with the Fusion system itself. It is the only sounds system in the Verona but only works when accessory power is on for the chassis or the engine is running. Again, super annoying. Anyone solved this?

Anyone just replaced the Garmin Fusion altogether? What did you replace it with?
The cameras (reverse and side blind spot) have a trigger wire that's activated when in reverse or when a blinker is on. That's why the Garmin only sees them when a camera is activated. Many have added stand alone monitors and taken the cameras off the Garmin. I bought a monitor and plan to do the same. Several have also replaced the Garmin entirely as they can be problematic if you don't update the software often.
DockmasterAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 04:39 PM   #3

What monitor did you go with?
outlawten5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 03:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawten5 View Post
What monitor did you go with?

https://www.tadibrothers.com/product...backup-cameras
DockmasterAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 10:39 PM   #5

On my 2020Verona, I added a Fookoo rear vision camera.
Got on Amazon. Works great, hardwired and much better than wireless.
Works all the time and great for backing up.
Seller gave me I think it was 66 foot wire. The 50 foot it came with was too short.
Had drop in down inside back, along frame and up to dash.
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 11:27 AM   #6

I added a full time rear view camera and monitor to keep an eye on our toad. I installed a Haloview rear camera with the extended wireless signal transmitter in a couple of hours.
rthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 04:44 PM   #7

My 2023 you can set the rear camera to stay on all the time. It will switch when turning but will default back to rear after. Only down fall then you have no radio control or GPS screen.
Bayouownbeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 04:43 PM   #8

I found the Garmin Fusion system to be one that tried to do too much and ended up not doing anything very well (including the GPS function). The switching of the cameras is very slow (using the triggers). It's placement in the dash is at a poor angle and too far from your field of view while driving. As mentioned, if you don't keep the firmware updated it can cause problems. Mine started making an occasional chiming sound like a seat belt warning. It also was very difficult to pair it with a phone and have it work when the display was connected to the dash. After getting a special pairing document from Garmin I finally got it to work. It tried to route me over 100 miles out of the way in Oregon until the map data base was updated and this was on Hwy 101. Although the GPS isn't too hard to use, it not nearly as intuitive as others I've owned.

That said, I bought a new camera system that is vastly better and mounted the large monitor just to the right of the driver's overhead cubby hole. You can route the one power/camera feed cable through the cubby hole and down the pillar through the firewall and into the engine compartment. The long cable that came with it is just long enough for a 35MB. I put the second camera just under the front license plate and didn't use the sideview cameras. This system is a true bargain. I previously had a RearView Safety system, which was pretty good, but this is much better. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B4D9PNFZ...t_details&th=1

I still have the original backup and side view cameras feeding into the Garmin system. I prefer mirrors to the sideview cameras, but the backup cam is now looking at the hitch so that is useful.
navigator336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 11:51 PM   #9

Thanks for all the feedback and ideas! Good stuff.

Has anyone replaced the fusion system? What do you put in?
98Exec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 07:20 PM   #10

There is an extra camera cable that runs to the rear that is or can be used for a trailer camera that is activated by the toggle switch on the the dash that says trailer or rear I used the one for an additional camera and mounted a dedicated monitor on the dash to keep an eye on the toad. You have to disconnet the rear camera from the back of the garmin and then connect it to the monitor the trigger wire can still be used to activate the backing guide lines.
iambruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, power