Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2021, 02:16 PM   #1

Cascadia TPMS Warning

So I weighed the coach and set the recommended by Michelin tire pressure at 85PSI in the rears. Now the TPMS goes crazy with red flashing lights showing extreme low tire pressure. I can't find anything in the Freightliner manual or on the net as to how to calibrate them.

Has anyone run into this and what was the solution?

Thanx
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2021, 03:10 PM   #2

The solution just might be 85 psi is too low. I run 105 in the rears and 110-115 in the front. Freightliner recommends a little bit higher and Toyo a little bit lower based on weight so I compromised in the middle.
KFed 90-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 05:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFed 90-10 View Post
The solution just might be 85 psi is too low. .
Maybe Michelin doesn't know what they are talking. Remember these are built as OTR trucks which would normally have much more weigh on the rear.
Old 10-16-2021, 05:57 PM   #4

Isn't the TRMS alarm adjustable?
outlawten5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 06:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawten5 View Post
Isn't the TRMS alarm adjustable?
I am sure hoping so but I am betting it is going to require going to a FL dealer to hookup to the computer.
Old 10-16-2021, 06:44 PM   #6

Are you sure you have the correct pressure chart for the michelin tires. 85 psi seems low. We are set to something like 105 and 110 psi and also have Michelin tires. Make sure you have the correct model tires and OTR truck tire chart. It took me a while to find the correct chart. Seems as though some of the ones I originally found showed lower pressures.

I also think I found the directions for the TPMS system online. I’m pretty unsure you can change the parameters.
millsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 06:56 PM   #7

I forgot I had a chart in the glove box of the RV. See attached. Hopefully, you have the same tires.

Here is a link to the TPMS owners manual.
https://www.bendix.com/media/documen...ual_BW2799.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7CCB8F57-DCA4-4FFE-AD86-109FFF160852.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	277.0 KB
ID:	346291  
millsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 06:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsj View Post
I forgot I had a chart in the glove box of the RV. See attached. Hopefully, you have the same tires.

Here is a link to the TPMS owners manual.
https://www.bendix.com/media/documen...ual_BW2799.pdf
That is what I have. The rear weighs 18,200.
Old 10-17-2021, 12:46 PM   #9

I need to get my TPMS checked out as well. Mine does not go crazy, but it does not read most of the tires most of the time. I only have seen all the tires show up a few times since delivery. Only ones that ALWAYS work are the steering axle ones. Forward drive axle will show usually 3 of the four and sometimes all four.
Rear drive axle is usually blank. Or it may have one showing, but the temp never changes while driving, so I think it is not reporting.

The Prevost system never had this trouble...I wonder what is different with Freightliner's system...
Mark3101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 08:20 AM   #10

I will make some calls to Freightliner and Renegade and report back.
Old 10-23-2021, 06:42 PM   #11

I got a call back from Renegade yesterday and my issue is that Freightliner mounts the receiver for the TPMS system too far forward for the long wheel base that I have. The fix is to add on a length of wire and relocate the receiver a few feet to the rear and that should fix it. Freightliner is supposed to cover the cost of the fix.

I will call the dealer this next week and find out when I can get it done.
Old 11-02-2021, 03:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark3101 View Post
I got a call back from Renegade yesterday and my issue is that Freightliner mounts the receiver for the TPMS system too far forward for the long wheel base that I have. The fix is to add on a length of wire and relocate the receiver a few feet to the rear and that should fix it. Freightliner is supposed to cover the cost of the fix.

I will call the dealer this next week and find out when I can get it done.
My outside rears (single axle) do not read all the time either. It is currently at the FL dealer for that and the TPMS reprogram. They said the unit is mounted on the frame about 1/2 way back and thought moving it back further would cause the fronts not to work. They wanted to change the TPMS sensors. I said no as I knew the only thing that would happen with that was screwed up wheels.
As far as the TPMS reprogram, after lots of arm twisting, they agreed to check into it. They were able to change it. I don't know the cost yet as they told me FL would not pay.
Like all other RV problems most FL truck dealers are not used to working on them. I had to tell them about the Bendix portion of the FL diagnostics program to even get them to look at it.
Old 11-03-2021, 11:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
My outside rears (single axle) do not read all the time either. It is currently at the FL dealer for that and the TPMS reprogram. They said the unit is mounted on the frame about 1/2 way back and thought moving it back further would cause the fronts not to work. They wanted to change the TPMS sensors. I said no as I knew the only thing that would happen with that was screwed up wheels.
As far as the TPMS reprogram, after lots of arm twisting, they agreed to check into it. They were able to change it. I don't know the cost yet as they told me FL would not pay.
Like all other RV problems most FL truck dealers are not used to working on them. I had to tell them about the Bendix portion of the FL diagnostics program to even get them to look at it.

I have an appointment for the 12th to get mine looked at. The tech I talked to said it was a known problem and he first wants to check the sensors to make sure they are working as intended before moving anything, but he did say he felt he would be moving the receiver. There is also a recall on the anti-lock brake system (a program fix), and he is going to check the switch for telling the transmission that the brakes are indeed on. I have to step on the brake pedal twice to get it to shift. I have never had to do this with any other Allison I have had and he though it should not require a press, release and another press to get it to shift. Only happens if you go from either forward to N to reverse or the other way. Press brake, shift to N, release brake, press brake and shift to either R or D. A single shift from N to either D or R only needs one. I have the stalk on RH side of steering column that doubles for Jake brake and transmission shifting. Same one they use for the DT-12. He thinks the air switch could be bad or else that could be a programing error. He will figure it out I hope.
Old 11-03-2021, 01:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark3101 View Post
I have an appointment for the 12th to get mine looked at. The tech I talked to said it was a known problem and he first wants to check the sensors to make sure they are working as intended before moving anything, but he did say he felt he would be moving the receiver. There is also a recall on the anti-lock brake system (a program fix), and he is going to check the switch for telling the transmission that the brakes are indeed on. I have to step on the brake pedal twice to get it to shift. I have never had to do this with any other Allison I have had and he though it should not require a press, release and another press to get it to shift. Only happens if you go from either forward to N to reverse or the other way. Press brake, shift to N, release brake, press brake and shift to either R or D. A single shift from N to either D or R only needs one. I have the stalk on RH side of steering column that doubles for Jake brake and transmission shifting. Same one they use for the DT-12. He thinks the air switch could be bad or else that could be a programing error. He will figure it out I hope.
Mine does the same thing with the shifting. It is a PITA. But dealer says it is fine. They know nothing of the TPMS issue. They were supposed to fix the ABS recall.

Tags
tpms, warning