Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2021, 10:47 PM   #1

Choosing which Renegade to purchase

Hello.. I have been searching for a Class C that meets my needs, recently downsizing from a Tiffin Bus. I stumbled upon Renegade and I am very interested, primarily because the build quality, fit and finish, etc. seems to be outstanding, from what I have read so far. The other Class C's that I have been following for the past 6 months seem to be a pile of junk on wheels and I do not want my free time to be spent making endless repairs instead of traveling.

Having said that, I am getting somewhat confused about the differences in the various models, and am wondering what would be the best choice for me. I'm looking at the Verona 34VQB and Valencia 35MB. Also am considering the Veracruz.

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Paul Trombetta
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2021, 11:00 PM   #2

Paul: I think it is best that you read all the specs on each model and decide for yourself which model fits your needs. There is no easy answer, unfortunately. Have you read on the Renegade page on Facebook? Seeing who is having what problems and solutions, or modifications, or just enjoying their particular rig may help you decide. Good luck. john

https://www.facebook.com/groups/102503823531693
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 11:03 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What do they have in stock? If you have to order one it may take a while.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 05:43 AM   #4

They no longer make the Verona 34VQB, 36 shortest one now, even though it's shown on the Renegade web site. In just specifications there is a huge difference between the 3 models you mentioned. I'm also looking.

EDIT adding; Your "pure junk" comment is likely not appropriate. In some cases close though. If you go on Dynamax forums and FB there are a lot of satisfied owners. The Force 34 is also under my consideration. No I haven't had the opportunity to physically scrutinize any yet. Low/no inventory and my location work against me.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 09:39 AM   #5

Retired Fire Service RVer's
I can offer a limited review of our 35MB. We have only had it for a few weeks and camped for just a few nights locally.

We were originally impressed with the build quality of every Renegade we looked at prior to ordering ours. The 35 had all of our “must haves” and fits in our garage space at 35’ 10” overall.

The quality of the components including the hardwood cabinets are impressive; I haven’t found any particle board or veneered MDF anywhere. The undercarriage of the rig is very clean, with rigging of the fluid lines, electrical, and air lines run very cleanly, and well supported throughout, along with an even undercoating on all components.

Originally, I was concerned about the basement storage, as the driver’s side compartments are mostly taken up with batteries, the wet bay, the gray and black water tanks and the 8000 QD generator. However, I am impressed with the size and depth of the compartments overall, and dropping a few items we were hauling around in our class A is probably a good thing. With a CCC of over 8800lbs, I will be looking into a few slide assemblies to make access easier, since we have plenty of capacity weight-wise. Prior to our next trip, I will be finalizing our loading, then head for the scales to tune in the tire pressures after that, but I liked the ride as delivered.

I have only put about 200 miles on it since delivery, but I can say there are very few squeaks or rattles, and they seem to be in the overhead cab area, so it shouldn’t take too much to track those down. Haven’t towed with it yet, but it performed as expected on the freeway and the few hills we climbed. The Allison 3000 did well, stayed tight and downshifted smoothly and quickly when it needed to.

The air ride swivel seats took a little while to get dialed in, but the subject of potential improvements is well documented in another thread.

Other nit-picking items I have noticed include the lack of a water pump switch in the wet bay (can use my phone with the firefly app, but I will be installing a switch soon). Also, the location of the wet bay would be better if it was located behind the tanks, not under the driver’s side slide. One other item is the rear “bumper” portion of the two piece rear cap is the lowest part at the rear (actually it’s the generator exhaust), but it would be nice to have a reinforced portion of the frame to mount a few solid rollers to avoid damage from dragging. Also, I am concerned about the carpeting in the compartments being subject to dampness and staining, but it is nice to have now.

Realizing there’s no “perfect” RV, I think for our needs (and budget) this one will be hard to beat. Overall, I am very happy with the quality, workmanship and capabilities of our Valencia, and look forward to many years and miles of good times.
Bad Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 12:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Larry View Post
I can offer a limited review of our 35MB. We have only had it for a few weeks and camped for just a few nights locally.

We were originally impressed with the build quality of every Renegade we looked at prior to ordering ours. The 35 had all of our “must haves” and fits in our garage space at 35’ 10” overall.

The quality of the components including the hardwood cabinets are impressive; I haven’t found any particle board or veneered MDF anywhere. The undercarriage of the rig is very clean, with rigging of the fluid lines, electrical, and air lines run very cleanly, and well supported throughout, along with an even undercoating on all components.

Originally, I was concerned about the basement storage, as the driver’s side compartments are mostly taken up with batteries, the wet bay, the gray and black water tanks and the 8000 QD generator. However, I am impressed with the size and depth of the compartments overall, and dropping a few items we were hauling around in our class A is probably a good thing. With a CCC of over 8800lbs, I will be looking into a few slide assemblies to make access easier, since we have plenty of capacity weight-wise. Prior to our next trip, I will be finalizing our loading, then head for the scales to tune in the tire pressures after that, but I liked the ride as delivered.

I have only put about 200 miles on it since delivery, but I can say there are very few squeaks or rattles, and they seem to be in the overhead cab area, so it shouldn’t take too much to track those down. Haven’t towed with it yet, but it performed as expected on the freeway and the few hills we climbed. The Allison 3000 did well, stayed tight and downshifted smoothly and quickly when it needed to.

The air ride swivel seats took a little while to get dialed in, but the subject of potential improvements is well documented in another thread.

Other nit-picking items I have noticed include the lack of a water pump switch in the wet bay (can use my phone with the firefly app, but I will be installing a switch soon). Also, the location of the wet bay would be better if it was located behind the tanks, not under the driver’s side slide. One other item is the rear “bumper” portion of the two piece rear cap is the lowest part at the rear (actually it’s the generator exhaust), but it would be nice to have a reinforced portion of the frame to mount a few solid rollers to avoid damage from dragging. Also, I am concerned about the carpeting in the compartments being subject to dampness and staining, but it is nice to have now.

Realizing there’s no “perfect” RV, I think for our needs (and budget) this one will be hard to beat. Overall, I am very happy with the quality, workmanship and capabilities of our Valencia, and look forward to many years and miles of good times.

Nice write up, Bad Larry. Very thorough and helpful. Much appreciated!

Have you had any dragging issues or just thinking proactively?
hippopapamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 12:45 PM   #7

Hippopapamus, good question. No dragging, just a close call on an awkward street transition at an intersection in our hilly neighborhood. I sort of anticipated it there seeing as our previous class A with a similar angle of departure came close there as well (I did drag the class A’s tail pipe lightly when I approached at the wrong angle).

Best part of that is there’s another route to and from home not involving that intersection.

I also think that when I install my trailer ball mount, it may become the low point in the rear, haven’t done that yet.
Old 12-06-2021, 01:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Larry View Post
Hippopapamus, good question. No dragging, just a close call on an awkward street transition at an intersection in our hilly neighborhood. I sort of anticipated it there seeing as our previous class A with a similar angle of departure came close there as well (I did drag the class A’s tail pipe lightly when I approached at the wrong angle).

Best part of that is there’s another route to and from home not involving that intersection.

I also think that when I install my trailer ball mount, it may become the low point in the rear, haven’t done that yet.

Glad to hear you made it safe. Someone on here posted about adding a wheel(s) like the below to their hitch. Might be something to consider.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6941.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	350754

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Skid-Whe...48-979014.html
Old 12-06-2021, 06:39 PM   #9

I'll check out Dynamax... that brand was not on my list of models to look at. I do like the 35mb Valencia floor plan, however, and the gas stove.
Old 12-06-2021, 08:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptrombetta View Post
I'll check out Dynamax... that brand was not on my list of models to look at. I do like the 35mb Valencia floor plan, however, and the gas stove.

Based on what you seem to be looking for the Force 34KD and Europa 31SS are two Dynamax models to check out. The Dynamax Isata 5s are pretty nice as well, but they have a kind of funky transition from the cab to box and some suffer from low CCC because they are on a Ram 5500 chassis.
Old 12-06-2021, 10:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippopapamus View Post
Glad to hear you made it safe. Someone on here posted about adding a wheel(s) like the below to their hitch. Might be something to consider.

Attachment 350754

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Skid-Whe...48-979014.html

I bought this steel castor at Tractor Supply for under $20.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3434.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	706.1 KB
ID:	350843
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 11:26 PM   #12

Two things: 1- Yes, dragging your coaches butt may be a problem on nasty roads. It may prove interesting to discover that a tow hitch, or even the roller wheels, leave you high-centered with your drive wheels off the ground in you are traveling very slowly. 2-We had to scratch the Ram 5500 framed rigs off our list when I asked a salesman to measure the required rise of your feet (while sitting) to your feet when you turn to go from the cab to the coach. He kindly obliged and measured it while on the phone; "near 11-12 inches". That killed it for us, as we are selling our class C because my wife has too much trouble wiggly her legs/feet around the console of the E450 rigs. Artificial joints are not quite what the natural ones are. The 5500 chassis is great for a p/u cab, but not necessarily great for a coach if you are a bit impaired and refuse to exit the cab and go around to enter through the coach door to go get a cookie (for your husband????). Just things to think about.....PS: Rene 35 MB ordered a few weeks ago, to arrive in late May or early June.... unlesss... supply chain..... blah, blah.....
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 12:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
I bought this steel castor at Tractor Supply for under $20.
Attachment 350843

Much better bang for your buck!

Have you needed it? If so, did it function as expected?
Old 12-07-2021, 06:32 PM   #14

The roller casters are definitely an option. One thing to consider is in the event of a “hard grounding” as jklingle describes, a fixed roller or set of them (vs. swiveling) could limit unwanted lateral movement on an off-cambered surface-hopefully extremely rare, and avoidable.

In my past life, I drove fire engines throughout the state of California, and had some unsettling moments in tight spots when traction was less than optimal while side-hilling in certain conditions. Never wanted to damage the tax payer’s rigs, and share the same level of concern for mine!

Tags
purchase