Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2021, 06:12 PM   #1

Class Super C

Talk me into a Renegade Ikon or XL over a Class A for retirement.
PbFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2021, 05:34 AM   #2

Here is my 2 cents having had both. My major likes and dislikes of both.

The A has a much larger living area once you get to where your going and usually much more storage. It has the feel of a small home. I personally hate the driving of a bus even with the over hyped comfort steer. I also dislike having to walk thru the coach every time you go in or out.

The Super C is a much better unit to drive. It is easier to service. Love the side entrance. Dislikes are less storage, the wasted cab space and being excluded from many of the very nice Class A only resorts. The truck is total overkill unless you pull a 20,000 lb. trailer.

If I was going to use the unit to mostly live in, like migrating from Fla. to Mich. as the seasons change, I would go with the bus.

If I was going to use it to constantly travel and put on the miles with shorter stays at many places it would definitely be the Renegade.

My next one is going to be another Super C.

Good Luck to you whichever you choose.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 07:06 AM   #3

I have an XL and have also had a Class A. I completely agree. I will add there is a much more secure feel to driving the XL with the big front end I feel in an accident I stand a much better chance of walking away. Plus these things are built like tanks. You would need to spend at least twice as much on a Class A to get the same solid build and construction. My Class A had cheap fake wood that was covered with a paper to make it look like real wood. My XL has all real wood, solid door, and you can just feel the sturdiness.
fotofx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 08:21 AM   #4

Az99 said it perfectly.
netjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:07 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
I have had em all. There is nothing like a luxury class A once you get there, but there is nothing like a luxury Super C to get there. Currently in an Entegra Cornerstone.......but just ordered the new Renegade Explorer. I like to drive.
Harleydeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 03:35 PM   #6

I too like to drive. It was my wife who told me she didnt want to drive around the country in a rolling bread box. Class A’s come in all sizes but pretty much one shape. Not really discernable from each other and some of the paint schemes, reminds me of my grandmother’s curtains. Mechanically and dimentially, my 45’ Classic is the same as an XL. There is no mistaking a Freightliner Cascadia 125 rolling down the road. The big block Cummins or big DD with a 12 or 13 speed auto shift is a blast to drive. Especially if you live in the mountain west. You are always in the rpm sweet spot going up and more importantly going down hill. The true dual axle with twin screw drive is rarely pushed around by wind or passing trucks and 8 rear wheels of stopping power are amazing. The Renegade fit and finish is comparable to all the best rigs. Sure you lose a bit of living space due to the cab, but come on, with up to 4 slideouts, how much room do you really need. I take my 45 footer into the woods, on the dirt, the size has yet to be a problem. I vote for a big Renegade. Let us know.
KFed 90-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 05:28 PM   #7

How does the “ride” compare between a Class A and a Super C?
Class A the captains seat is roughly right above the front left steer tire, Super C the seat is well behind the tire. Knowing there are varying build qualities between different Class A’s and different Super C’s, lets say we are comparing a quality build from both classes (not Prevost). My signature shows my current ride but, considering a Super C. Also, the service options available on the road between the classes is very different — any comments much appreciated.
Magic Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 06:01 AM   #8

The ride to me is stiffer but more controlled. You feel like your driving something you are familiar with, just larger. With every class A I have driven, even very expensive ones, I totally dislike the wishy washy feel and feeling of no control.
I have put a lot of miles on a bus but can't say I have ever enjoyed the drive. With the Super C I really enjoy blowing by the people in Class A's that are white knuckling it while I am relaxed with one finger on the wheel just cruising along.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 06:21 AM   #9

In a couple of hours I'll be leaving to pick up my new-to-me Super C. Why a Super C. Safety first. As has been mentioned above you have something like 4-5 feet of steel frame, engine and transmission between you and something you might hit when it pulls out in front of you. Second you have at lease some minimal roll-over protection if it gets upside down. On most class As, with a few exceptions, there is no steel above the frame that is larger than 1x1 square tubing. In other words if it gets upside down you're probably toast. The other is service. Call almost any truck repair that says they don't work on motor homes and tell them you have a straight truck with an RV box on the back and they'll say, sure bring it on in. The configuration is something they are familiar with and deal with every day. Another is repair parts. Take a windshield for example. A Class A windshield costs $1,000 or more, probably a lot more, and the wait months. The last two prices I heard for a Class C windshield were $325 and $425 and a 2 or 3 day turn around, and that was probably in a small town. In a big town it can likely be done same day. Your money, your choice. BTW I don't live in my coach for the most part , I live around it and sleep, go potty and cook in the rig, and the cooking only if it's raining. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 09:57 AM   #10

Ill concur, the ride is firm but not harsh. Like driving a supersized pickup truck. The new rigs have air seats, which i cant comment on. Other features I like are the dual 70 gallon diesel tanks, I think the newer rigs have 60 gallon, the 150 gallon fresh water tank, I like to boondock. Service availability is huge! I take mine to a small private shop near me, $400 for complete preventative maintance, oil change etc...He wont touch a DP.
KFed 90-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 11:45 AM   #11

We haven’t owned or driven an A Class but we looked at both and went with the Renegade due to the following:
1) Safety, crumple zone
2) Familiar visual perspective from the cab - not the huge fishbowl perspective of an A Class
3) Serviceability
4) Build
5) We like something unique or different, the Super C fits that bill

We are full timing, but only 6 months so far, so still newbies. Love the unit we have and don’t regret it.

One thing I hadn’t counted on was the amount of gawking the Super C would get in the campgrounds and on the road. Being unique does have its down side.
MemByTheMile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 07:34 PM   #12
UAV

I agree with everything said so far. Especially the engine being out in front which adds a huge layer of protection IMHO.

One thing I will mention again is the serviceability.

This is a major factor often overlooked by most. As time goes by it is getting tougher and tougher to find good people who know how to work on (especially) class As. Getting the most simple work done on a Class A has become quite the burden, at least in my area (Denver Metro).

The Super Cs, as mentioned, are simply easier and more simple to work on. Much easier access to everything, accessibility to spare parts, etc. just make life a little more simple with these things.

Even a guy like me is able to do the basics on the engine, like changing the oil, and trust me, I am no pro.

Owned both a few As and now my little Valencia and when it comes time for another, assuming that happens, I would go Super C all day long.
UAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 08:13 AM   #13

When we retired and went full time I thought we needed to bring everything with us so we got the Essex. Now we part time since we are back in a house. Travel about 4-5 months a year. Next rig will be a super c. Reason is they make me feel safer. Never felt comfortable with what was in front of me with the A. No air bags, little roll over protection and you are the first to the scene of the accident. HDT drivers in accidents almost always walk away. They have air bags and lead with an engine and frame. In general the larger rigs are safer. I now know I don’t need the extra space so super C will be next. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Old 04-24-2021, 10:03 AM   #14

Forgot to mention in my above response - after a couple trips I love driving our super C and how it rides. For a point of comparison just a week ago we drove a few hundred highway miles in our large, german branded lSUV and found myself wishing I was instead driving the Renegade.

Easy to drive, just need to be aware of longer braking distance, longer vehicle length/wheel base and of course it won’t do 0-60 in less than 50 seconds.
MemByTheMile is offline   Reply With Quote