Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2023, 05:27 PM   #1

Classic front air suspension upgrade?

Has anyone swapped out the front shocks in a Freightliner Cascadia Classic from regular shocks to air ride?

The front of this coach rides a bit rough when the roads are bad, wondering if there is a swap for air ride if that would help?
AZRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2023, 09:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRenegade View Post
Has anyone swapped out the front shocks in a Freightliner Cascadia Classic from regular shocks to air ride?

The front of this coach rides a bit rough when the roads are bad, wondering if there is a swap for air ride if that would help?
We would be interested in this too. We have looked into getting new upgraded shocks but not having much success in finding anything.

The front end is bad on rough roads and on bridge transitions is close to losing control of the steering.

We had the alignment done which vastly improved the steering but fixing the shocks is next on our list of upgrades.
Old 06-01-2023, 04:49 AM   #3

FWIW, your rig should drive like it is on rails. That is one of the benefits of a TC.

Nord, the sensation you get on bad bridge transitions should not be happening. It would have to be alignment, tires, or bad shocks causing that. However, depending on how your rig’s weight distribution works out, you may be experiencing a bit of body roll that feels like the rig is wandering.

You can add airbags to the suspension, or upgrade to a true air ride axle, but I would consult with your builder first. Our rigs typically carry more steer axle weight, and have a higher center of gravity, than some working semi-trucks. Softening up the ride may create it’s own handling issues.

Complete axle - https://www.hendrickson-intl.com/products/airtek/airtek
Air Kit - https://www.4statetrucks.com/front-a...kit-29-05k0902
Old 06-01-2023, 06:22 AM   #4

Thanks for the info.
Agree with you that it should not be like that.
Alignment was just completed and that has helped.
Old 06-04-2023, 05:43 PM   #5

replaced front shocks on Cascadia

I replaced the front shocks with 99B 3209 Koni RV EVO
Shocks and made a huge difference, got them from Henderson Supersteer www.supersteerparts.com
Note that the mounting bore has to be increased using a cobalt drill for stainless steel I got one from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220812_014532696.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	334.8 KB
ID:	394507  
Birdgoblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 01:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdgoblue View Post
I replaced the front shocks with 99B 3209 Koni RV EVO
Shocks and made a huge difference, got them from Henderson Supersteer www.supersteerparts.com
Note that the mounting bore has to be increased using a cobalt drill for stainless steel I got one from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I would be willing to try this before converting to air, what year is your rig?
AZRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 12:06 AM   #7

2022 Explorer 40ERB with Cascadia P4 front end
Old 06-08-2023, 06:38 PM   #8

I’d like to try these as well. Thanks for posting about them!
fountainhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 08:21 PM   #9

I would like to hear more details about how the Koni shocks helped your Explorer. I have the same model. Where did you buy them and who installed them. Thank, Ron
rp709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 11:18 AM   #10

@Birdgoblue - I bought a pair of the Koni shocks from supersteer (oddly they didn’t come with dust covers like yours did), but they appear to be a good bit longer than the stock shocks on our 2022 Cascadia.

As it sits right now, the eye to eye length of the front shocks is roughly 15.5”. The fully collapsed length of these Koni’s is about 15”. Looking online, the fully collapsed length of the stock shocks is around 13.5 - 14”. I’m worried these might bottom out on up travel.

Strangely, though, even with the stock setup, as it sits right now the bump stop above the front axle is about 3” below the frame rail. So, even this configuration seems like the shock would bottom out. Is there really that little up travel on these 18k lb front axles? Have you noticed them showing any signs of bottoming out?

Just looking for some additional feedback before I drill out the bushing sleeves.

Thanks!
Old 07-14-2023, 11:20 AM   #11

@Birdgoblue - I bought a pair of the Koni shocks from super steer (oddly they didn’t come with dust covers like yours did), but they appear to be a good bit longer than the stock shocks on our 2022 Cascadia.

As it sits right now, the eye to eye length of the front shocks is roughly 15.5”. The fully collapsed length of these Koni’s is about 15”. Looking online, the fully collapsed length of the stock shocks is around 13.5 - 14”. I’m worried these might bottom out on up travel.

Strangely, though, even with the stock setup, the bump stop above the front axle sits about 3” below the frame rail. So, even this configuration seems like the shock would bottom out. Is there really that little up travel on these 18k lb front axles? Have you noticed them showing any signs of bottoming out?

Just looking for some feedback before drilling out the bushing sleeves.

Thanks!
Old 07-15-2023, 07:13 AM   #12

We have not noticed any problems with this shock set up. Just a much smoother ride over the same interstates
Old 07-15-2023, 07:18 PM   #13

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the double post above.
Old 08-10-2023, 06:00 PM   #14

I ended up getting some more measurements and working with supersteer to return my 99B-3209’s and replace them with 99B-3254’s. These are slightly shorter than the stock shocks, but they are a pretty good fit on my chassis (2022 P4 126). I’ll try to post a few pics below.

In the last pic you can see that the mounting bracket is touching the dust cover. The same is true on the driver’s side as well. It’s not actually pressing into the shock body, but I might end up adding a couple of washers to the top and bottom mounts of each shock to move them out slightly. There’s plenty of thread to do so on both mounting bolts. I drove it about 50 miles today on some rough roads around here, and they don’t appear to have rubbed.

I’m going to put a few hundred miles on the coach this weekend, so I’ll have a better sense of any improvement afterwards. However, after the initial test run today, I want to say the ride is much improved. My only real complaints were that 1) once the front end started bouncing, it took quite a while for it to settle out, and 2) when you went over large seams in the road or when there was a significant transition between a bridge and the highway, the front end would drop out violently. I can’t weigh in on #2 yet, but issue #1 is significantly better. Another thing I noticed almost right away, was that the coach felt a lot less top heavy. That’s kind of hard to explain, and this was never really an issue for me, but the additional stability left to right is a nice benefit.

Cheers!
JT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4075.jpeg
Views:	15
Size:	500.9 KB
ID:	400176   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4076.jpeg
Views:	24
Size:	478.2 KB
ID:	400177