Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2022, 02:57 PM   #1

Clearance lights and maintenance services

Hello All,

We recently had our RV ('22 Verona VBH) into the local Freightliner for its first PM service. They had it a month to do the chassis PM, oil change, fuel filter change, and the generator service. They found several of the rear clearance (button) lights not working (two of the center three and the furthest right is blinking). They had it month and did not fix the lighting issue as it's a coach issue, not a chassis issue.

First question. Is there access to the top clearance lights by going through the bedroom ceiling?

Second question. Where do people get routine maintenance done in a more timely manner?

I realize OTR vehicles get priority and we weren't in a hurry, but the next time we may not have weeks to wait.

Any help appreciated.
rthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2022, 07:17 AM   #2

Rear cleanse lighting on our coach was only accessible with a ladder from the outside. Take out the 2 screws and carefully pull the lens lighting assembly out of the body. The socket for the light bulb twists into the back of the assembly.

Be careful though - on ours, the lighting harness wasn’t supported in any way - the weight of the wiring harness was on the rubber “twist-in” sockets. Ours being 20 years old, the rubber socket got stiff and the plastic of the lens had begun to creep. One of the sockets let loose due to the weight of the wire harness, and pulled all the lights loose to drag on the ground.
Bought new lens/socket assemblies, pulled all the wiring back up and secured by drilling a small hole in the fiberglass behind where the lens assembly fits, and used a small Ty-wrap to secure the weight of the wiring to the coach end cap. Reconnected the wires, reinstalled the lens assemblies. Hopefully good for more than another 20 years.
Old 10-06-2022, 09:28 AM   #3

Wow, a month just for PM. And I'm afraid to ask what they charged. I can certainly understand going to Freightliner given you are still under warranty, but that's ridiculous. There are many reputable, experienced shops around the country that will do a competent job at half the price and keep you under warranty. If you do your research, using google reviews or Yelp or even here in this blog for your area you can find a gem of a mechanic. That's how I found my guy, a former Freightliner shop foreman, with his own shop. Charges me $450 for complete engine PM, fuel and air filters, lube, fluid top off and a few other things I'm forgetting. And that's with a 15 liter Cummins that take about 40 quarts of oil. In and out in the same day. We have a decent Freightliner shop in my area (Phoenix) but they would charge me double for the same service. Happy hunting.
KFed 90-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 05:57 PM   #4

++k fed 90-10......would you be willing to share contact/location of the "former shop foreman" in the Phoenix area?
Old 10-07-2022, 01:36 PM   #5

Diesel Industries in Apache Junction, AZ, owned by Angelo and Sharon Romano
(480) 699-4155, is a guy I recommend for all your medium to heavy duty diesel service. Have used them 2x for my regular PM and and one time to decipher a fault code. Angelo plugged in his computer, cleared the code and determined it would not be a continuing problem, which it wasn't. Oh, and no charge for plugging in and clearing the code. Try that at your local Freightliner shop. The place it not pretty or fancy, but good honest service.
KFed 90-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 08:32 PM   #6

RV Service Reviews
Electrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 06:16 AM   #7

Freightliner dealer or a local independent. Both will do the PM in a day, or while I wait.
Old 10-17-2022, 03:15 AM   #8

Thanks to all who replied about the service but my main question is about accessing the rear clearance lights. These are the small, round, button lights that appear to be epoxied into the body. Anyone have any experience getting to these in the rear cap?
rthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 05:22 AM   #9

Contact Woody @ Renegade: jwood@renegaderv.com

He will be able to answer your question.
emdoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights, maintenance, service