Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-12-2022, 06:28 PM   #1

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Coleman Mach AC Intermittent Operation

The front AC in our 2022 35MB has been intermittently cooling then blowing ambient temperature (warm, 80 degrees +) while in “Cooling” mode with the fan in either Auto, Low or High. The fan continues to run even in Auto, the firefly display shows the snow flake the entire time, the electrical display panel shows 115 - 120 volts on both lines, but obviously little to no amps being drawn on line 1 when the compressor is not running (even though the firefly seems to think it is, with no indication of any “shedding” of the loads). The filters and coils are clean, I shut the breaker off and started the unit again, and sometimes it works briefly, then quits.

I suspect it might be an issue with the shore power pedestal, as it is not in the best of repair. When disconnected from shore power and run on the generator for an hour or so, the AC seems to work normally.

I tried calling the Colman Mach (Maxair) customer service people and that was a waste of time. I had the opportunity to speak to Woody last Thursday, and he suggested the problem might be my external “Watchdog”, so I disconnected it, and the AC worked great for the next 8- 10 hours. The next day, the issue returned. I am in California, returning to AZ tomorrow, so the generator test will last 6 hours tomorrow, and we’ll see how that goes.

I am stumped at the intermittent nature of the issue, is there something else I should be checking (capacitors, relays, etc.) before giving up and calling for service?

Thanks in advance for reading…
Bad Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2022, 05:04 AM   #2

I had a similar issue with a Verona a few days after purchase. The service tech. said if the fan is on High or Low and reaches the set temp. on the thermostat the compressor kicks off and will not come back on period. From then on it acts like a fan until it is switched back to auto. On auto it works like a residential AC.

We generally have ours on auto most of the time. We do put the fan on high for a few hours during the heat of the day if necessary then back to auto.

Another trick I learned is at night close the vents on the AC unit so the air will come thru the duck work. During the day open them up so the cool air comes out directly under the AC's. The RV seems to cool much better. My guess is the roof is so hot during the day, a little of that heat transfers to the duck work which warms up some of the cool air going thru it.
RodnReel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 10:36 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply Rod. I was on the road all day yesterday, and eventually found out that our front AC unit is DOA, with no Freon left in the system. We cut our trip short, returning home until a replacement unit is available.

The next challenge will be getting a replacement unit in a reasonable timeframe. Looks like a few trips will be impacted this summer…
Old 06-15-2022, 05:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Larry View Post
Thanks for your reply Rod. I was on the road all day yesterday, and eventually found out that our front AC unit is DOA, with no Freon left in the system. We cut our trip short, returning home until a replacement unit is available.

The next challenge will be getting a replacement unit in a reasonable timeframe. Looks like a few trips will be impacted this summer…
Our front ac is dead also. Died day 1 of our 7 week trip. So Cal to carolinas, Texas, then back to so cal. It's hot and humid on this trip. Now in Kentucky but the rear ac is doing a good job. Livingroom is hot but with a walmart fan pulling the cold bedroom air into it it's doable. Texas might be more of a challenge with over 100* but we're still doing it

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 05:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Our front ac is dead also. Died day 1 of our 7 week trip. So Cal to carolinas, Texas, then back to so cal. It's hot and humid on this trip. Now in Kentucky but the rear ac is doing a good job. Livingroom is hot but with a walmart fan pulling the cold bedroom air into it it's doable. Texas might be more of a challenge with over 100* but we're still doing it

Jerry
Sorry to hear about your AC’s premature and untimely death.

Our rear AC did an impressive job on our 12 hour road trip in 105 degree plus So Cal and Arizona weather while on our way to get it assessed and eventually home on Monday. I am not sure that it would keep things tolerable without the cab AC blowing as well, that’s why we came home early.

Hopefully we both are back to 100% AC before too long…
Old 06-16-2022, 04:10 AM   #6

I was recently able to order a replacement Mach8 from Renegade and got it in 5 days.
Old 06-28-2022, 09:05 AM   #7

Quick Update/Resolution

Yesterday I was fortunate enough to have a new AC unit installed at Sport Truck in Chandler, just two weeks after it died.

A huge thanks to Woody along with Kyle and Darren at Sport Truck, they took care of everything we needed; they are true professionals, focused on getting things done right the first time.

Darren also took care of some other items that we were planning on traveling to Bristol for, a huge win considering current fuel prices.

It’s great to have such a competent, dedicated team to keep us in service. I would highly recommend checking with Sport Truck for your service (or sales) needs if you’re in the region.
Old 06-28-2022, 05:12 PM   #8

Glad you got it replaced and in a timely matter

My front ac has been working again. But stops on occasion It still has issues and I'm hoping to get it replace when I get home
FMCA # F464385
Old 06-29-2022, 07:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Glad you got it replaced and in a timely matter

My front ac has been working again. But stops on occasion It still has issues and I'm hoping to get it replace when I get home
That’s kinda how ours was; it quit after random lengths of running, then just stopped cooling entirely.

Hopefully yours will hang on long enough to complete your trip.
Old 07-11-2022, 08:29 PM   #10

Well, had the new AC working for 2 weeks, one 5 day trip, then on the way home from the Freightliner shop in Tolleson (transmission output sensor replacement), the new front AC is intermittent, just like the one it replaced…good times!
Old 07-13-2022, 11:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Larry View Post
Well, had the new AC working for 2 weeks, one 5 day trip, then on the way home from the Freightliner shop in Tolleson (transmission output sensor replacement), the new front AC is intermittent, just like the one it replaced…good times!
DO you have Mach 8 or 10????

I have mach 10. All 7 blades of the fan that cools the compressor were broken off. At the dealer now waiting to hear from renegade on replacement.

The consensus on the facebook forum is the fan breaks when using it while driving. The ac unit bounces or flexes while driving causing the fan to hit the compressor shroud braking the blades

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 07-14-2022, 12:26 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Coleman-Mach 15kBTU HP2 Heat Pump a/c Lost Freon

I just went through the replacement of the front a/c on my rig. It started blowing warmish air over the Memorial Day weekend in Payson AZ, and would not cool after that. We were reaching 100F every day so I decided to contact our mobile repair genius rather than get into the (long) queue at NIRVC Phoenix.

Our mobile repair guy (Larry Van Liew, Bullseye RV Repair, Glendale AZ) quickly discovered it had lost all freon and needed to be replaced.

I contacted Entegra/Jayco (Jeff Hood) who opened a warranty claim and advised I would need to go through AirXcel for a warranty replacement.
I decided to press on and to keep AirXcel warranty people advised while I found a direct source myself. I eventually heard from AirXcel from this CSR contact but they wanted a lot of diagnostic evidence by an authorized service tech before handling a claim:
Casey Hall
Customer Service Representative
Coleman-Mach and Maxxair, Brands of Airxcel
3050 N St Francis Street
Wichita, KS 67219
Office: 574-247-9235
Fax: 316-832-3417
www.Airxcel.com
I found three companies that showed online inventory, and confirmed they actually did, then chose RV Products Shop from Peck, KS (near the factory) to place an order. The new unit was delivered to my house within a week and installed by Bullseye a few days later. Price was about $1,575 delivered plus $187.50 to install.
I will begin working backwards with AirXcel and Jayco on a warranty claim now that the problem is fixed. I don't hold out much hope to receive full reimbursement.
LennyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 08:43 AM   #13

Halfprice, it’s a Mach 10, and I will check the fan blades this morning, that’s an interesting problem…should be a fairly easy fix, right?

Thanks for the info Lenny, I started looking for a replacement when my first one went down (compressor failure) but got lucky when an extra unit showed up at SportTruck sooner than expected (currently performing intermittently). Hopefully you’ll get reimbursed soon.

It’s a frustrating experience to have so many problems with new and relatively expensive RVs, but unfortunately seems to be far too common.

In my case, I have experienced a few component failures, but I can’t complain about how Renegade has handled everything, I wish every manufacturer put the same effort into their products and stood behind them as well.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences.
Old 07-15-2022, 09:32 AM   #14

I looked at my ACs this morning, and the fans are intact, nothing unusual, and no evidence of contact with the shroud. Hopefully in your case, the fan assembly is either available quickly, or they can salvage one off another unit for you, then address the root cause of the contact.

It’s the intermittent nature of our problem that has me concerned, we are about to embark on a multiple week trip ourselves, hopefully it will work more days than not. I have a couple copies of the assessment form required by Maxxair, so if it goes down on the road, I will try to get a qualified tech to document the pertinent info to begin the replacement, again…

When it comes to finding a replacement on our own, I am challenged to find the EXACT model number, but can find a few that are very close. I suppose a call to maxxair would clarify the differences in model numbers. Last time I called them, it took several days for a recontact after selecting the “call back” option rather than holding…their customer service follow up was less than impressive (right in alignment with the current reliability of their product)…

Tags
coleman