Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-17-2021, 06:51 AM   #1

Considering a Renegade Vienna

We are considering a Renegade Vienna and will appreciate any and all feedback ... especially with regard to ride quality, structural quality, reliability, noise when driving ... and please don't be shy about negative issues as well as the good things about this unit. We want to buy ASAP as we need to head south from Michigan in a few weeks before the freezing weather. This will be our 7th MH, however we know nothing about Renegade or its reputation. PLEASE GIVE US SOME QUICK FEEDBACK. Thanks! Fred & Kathy
Jurisdictionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2021, 02:45 PM   #2

While I cant comment specifically on the Vienna, I just drove a Tiffin Wayfarer, belonging to my father in law, 900 miles from Phoenix to Albuquerque and back. Its similar to the Vienna in that its a newer model, on a Mercedes Sprinter van chassis and made by a quality coach builder in Tiffin. The ride was decent, it tracked straight and was easy to drive. Passing trucks and wind had some affect, but nothing scary. On flat level ground, I would say the rig had acceptable power. It struggled a bit climbing out of Phoenix and coming back from Abq, was greatly affected by a 20 mph head wind. As a result, gas mileage was only 11 mpg. The gas tank only holds, 26 gallons, so at 250 miles we were in serious need of a gas station. Usually the rig gets 15 mpg. Wind noise and rattles were about average for most RVs. I would expect a Vienna by Renegade would be of better quality than most other manufacturers. Some day I could see myself in a smaller RV like the Vienna, so I would be curious to here back from you what you think. For now I'm really enjoying my full size classic and completely happy with the quality, fit and finish of the Renegade.
KFed 90-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 05:39 AM   #3

Thanks! We've had 6 coaches various sizes. Just sold '18 Tiffin Phaeton 42-foot DP and expecting a shock with the smaller size. What do you know about the reputation of Renegade for quality, e.g., compared to Tiffin, for example?
Old 09-18-2021, 12:02 PM   #4

I've always considered Tiffin and Renegade two of the better quality coach builders. But with Thor purchasing Tiffin last year and Rev Group purchasing Renegade back a few years ago, I would be a little bit concerned quality would take a hit. I too have had several RV's over the years, and I'm not real impressed with Thor. My Renegade Classic is a 2014 and the fit and finish and overall quality is outstanding. My Father in law's Wayfarer is a 2020 and while it has more rattles, wind noise and squeaks than my Classic, I believe its more of a function of the Sprinter chassis. After all, its just a cargo van at heart. Renegade's customer service has always been outstanding in my experience. If you have a tech question they answer the phone. They have a national network of certified shops that can perform coach work. To order parts, you call an actual person, her name is Debbie Gibson. For me, it would first come down to what floor plan I like and closely inspect each model for fit and finish. Given my personal experience, I would certainly lean towards Renegade. Good Luck.
KFed 90-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 06:31 AM   #5

Thank you, KFed. We are locked in at any rate, so we shall see what we shall see, as my grandfather used to say. I've heard good things about the Mercedes Sprinter chassis, but Renegade is a new word in our vocabulary. Hope there aren't too many initial bugs to work out. Thanks again, KFed.
Old 09-20-2021, 11:25 AM   #6

Just about every Sprinter- based RV is on the brink of being overweight. The coach itself may be excellent quality, especially Renegade and Tiffin but the chassis is limited. After loading up water, supplies, tools, other camping necessities, and people, you are most likely going to exceed the weight limits of the chassis/tires. You most likely will feel every bump and crack in the road. I know what it was like with a cheaper Isata 3RW. Great MPG however.

Stay Safe!
MagnaTudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 05:26 AM   #7

Thanks, ManaTudes, but do you know from personal experience in the Sprinter Chassis that I will feel all the bumps and cracks? I felt the bumps and cracks with our 2018 Tiffin Phaeton, and it ruins the pleasure of RVing. Do you know this from your own personal experience in one, or are you thinking it will be so because of the weight issue, please?
Old 09-21-2021, 07:22 AM   #8

I can’t speak from experience with regard to the Renegade built Sprinter base, but I did have a Winnie Navion on that chassis. Ours was a 2015 model and overall I was satisfied with it’s performance because I had nothing to compare it to. I agree with MagnaTudes that the chassis/tires are close to their limit off the assembly line. I believe I had something like 1100lbs of cargo allowed per the sticker on the door. And once you start adding all your supplies and the occupants, you’re probably at or over the limit. I still managed to tow our 2dr JK with ease.

The ride was a little harsh especially on the roads I travel here in New England and I attribute that to the 16” tires and the suspension. On corners it could be a little tippy but your not driving a sports car, braking always seemed adequate. The only other thing that I noticed was when I would get passed by a semi, you first would be pushed to the outside and then sucked in as the trailer passsed. I still miss it for it’s maneuverability and fuel mileage, but I love my Valencia.
Happi Campah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 08:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurisdictionary View Post
Thanks, ManaTudes, but do you know from personal experience in the Sprinter Chassis that I will feel all the bumps and cracks? I felt the bumps and cracks with our 2018 Tiffin Phaeton, and it ruins the pleasure of RVing. Do you know this from your own personal experience in one, or are you thinking it will be so because of the weight issue, please?
Personal experience. It was a slamming ride and it is one of the main reasons why we sold it after about 1 year. If you can afford to move up to a larger chassis, do not hesitate. Look for a higher rated CCC. The weight definitely maxed out the suspension causing the slamming at every road deformity. We just could not take it anymore. I even tried adding SumoSprings and it had Bilsteins.
Old 09-21-2021, 08:54 AM   #10

Thanks. Mostly concerned about feeling the bumps and cracks. That can ruin an otherwise pleasant trip. Do you feel the Vienna will be particularly worse than others? All six of our previous motorhomes bumped and banged. We were hoping the 2022 Vienna on the Mercedes chassis might ride less bumpy. Your feedback, please?
Old 09-21-2021, 08:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happi Campah View Post
I canít speak from experience with regard to the Renegade built Sprinter base, but I did have a Winnie Navion on that chassis. Ours was a 2015 model and overall I was satisfied with itís performance because I had nothing to compare it to. I agree with MagnaTudes that the chassis/tires are close to their limit off the assembly line. I believe I had something like 1100lbs of cargo allowed per the sticker on the door. And once you start adding all your supplies and the occupants, youíre probably at or over the limit. I still managed to tow our 2dr JK with ease.

The ride was a little harsh especially on the roads I travel here in New England and I attribute that to the 16Ē tires and the suspension. On corners it could be a little tippy but your not driving a sports car, braking always seemed adequate. The only other thing that I noticed was when I would get passed by a semi, you first would be pushed to the outside and then sucked in as the trailer passsed. I still miss it for itís maneuverability and fuel mileage, but I love my Valencia.
x2 above. Little tippy too and getting blown over by a semi. This experience led us to search for a short M2. The RAM & F550 diesels did not have swivel seats and was too tough to get out of the cab and into the coach area. However, 4 wheel drive was an option on them. Be aware of CCC. Consider that you already will add the weight of yourself, passengers, fuel and water that will eat in available CCC.
Old 09-21-2021, 10:12 AM   #12

We weigh 320 for the two of us. Add 117 gals of fresh water, fuel, gray, and black at approx 8 pounds per gallon = 936 + 320 with NO OTHER STUFF = 1,256 lb. Am I mistaken or don't the manufacturer's list CCC with full tanks? Seems logical that the CCC cannot be 800 lb if full tanks alone exceed 900 lb. Please advise. Thanks again.
Old 09-21-2021, 10:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurisdictionary View Post
We weigh 320 for the two of us. Add 117 gals of fresh water, fuel, gray, and black at approx 8 pounds per gallon = 936 + 320 with NO OTHER STUFF = 1,256 lb. Am I mistaken or don't the manufacturer's list CCC with full tanks? Seems logical that the CCC cannot be 800 lb if full tanks alone exceed 900 lb. Please advise. Thanks again.
Just listen to what you are saying. You are on the brink, no matter how you look at it. And you still have other cargo. What's in the bays, fridge, propane, towing?

My leaf springs already had a negative bend when it was empty. It slammed when we picked it up from the dealer, empty. I even turned around and went back to the dealer after hearing a large crack going up a driveway at a fueling station thinking something serious broke.

Try Google
Sprinter RV Weight Issues
Old 09-29-2021, 05:13 PM   #14

We owned a 2019 Dynamax Isata 3 (24FW) for less than 6 months. As MagnaTudes accurately noted, weight concerns were one of the reasons we didnít keep it longer. With the options our unit was equipped with, we were significantly below 1000 lbs. in CCC, closer to 800.

The build quality of the rig was good, the ride wasnít what I would consider rough, but thatís somewhat subjective. I think it handled freeway bumps, ruts and pot holes (that I couldnít avoid) as well as our 2019 Pace Arrow on the XCS chassis.

The Sprinter chassis is well built, but is pushed to its limits by the house buildup, from my experience.