Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2022, 04:07 PM   #1

DEF issues on Renegades

I owned a 2017 class A high end 600hp motorhome the past 5 years. I sold it last fall because I had so many issues and breakdowns due to DEF issues. It became too frustrating, so I decided to exit the lifestyle. My question is, have any of you owners of Renegade’s had DEF issues and what is your frustration level been with dealing with DEF.
Rkm1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2022, 04:18 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I feel your frustration.
That's why we opted for a class "A" gasser.
AND hearing the horror stories of the V-10, we limited our search to the 8.1.
Took a while, but we found the "perfect" coach for us.
Several wandering trips to Florida and back, without incident, has confirmed or choice.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 07:48 PM   #3

We have a slightly older model, 2014 Renegade on a 2013 Freightliner Cascadia 125 with Cummins ISX15.

Have not had any issues with DEF, besides some anxiety after reading about the issues others have had.

Sorry to hear of your problems. Can understand wanting to leave the lifestyle if we had faced the issues over the past few years.
MemByTheMile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 10:38 PM   #4

We're about to acquire a Renegade with 70k on it. The previous owner said he had a DEF issue only once and figured out it was essentially user error. After returning from a trip he had just shut the rig down and jumped out immediately turning off the battery cutoff switch for the chassis. Apparently this prevented the DEF pump from finishing its shut down process. Cost of this training course (mistake) $160.00. He never made that mistake again.
DustinTheWnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 08:21 AM   #5

Never had an issue with DEF. The only time I use the battery cutoff switches is when I am servicing the batteries or installing some new electrical gadget like a shunt or heater. When the coach is stored it's plugged into shore power.
MagnaTudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 09:10 AM   #6

Renegade owners' experiences with DEF depends on the model. The Valencias in particular have suffered from a rash of reversed DEF heater line installations from the chassis factory (Freightliner). This led to "cooked" DEF headers, sometimes multiple times because they replaced the headers without realizing the lines were reversed. So they cooked the replacements, too.

I don't *think* I recall seeing that issue with the Veronas (which use M2 as opposed to S2RV chassis), certainly not to the same extent.

And I definitely haven't seen a trend with the Class-8 based models like Classics, XLs, or Icons. I keep an eye on the professional trucker forums, because they'll see these kinds of trends long before RV owners will.

Everyone hates DEF, but the emissions equipment really has gotten more reliable over time - but a DEF-related breakdown or de-rate only has to happen to you once to become a permanent hater.
Uncle_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 04:35 PM   #7

I would like to thank everyone that replied to my question regarding DEF issues on Renegrades. DEF is a huge issue on Class A motorhomes, I will never buy another Class A.
Rkm1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 04:10 PM   #8

No DEF issues

My 2014 Classic, Freightliner Cascadia 126, with an ISX 15, single cam, has never had a DEF issue. And no other issues for that matter. Guess I landed a drivetrain in the sweet spot of reliability.
KFed 90-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 12:47 PM   #9

I have a Renegade 2020 38RB and it is basically junk. Transmission oiler cooler leaking twice. Has been replaced by Freightliner and new one leaks as well.
DEF went crazy and said I was out of DEF WHEN 10gallon tank is full. Just shut down and would not go any faster than 5 mph. A real safety hazard on the Interstate highway. In shop now to get “fixed” while we stay in a hotel for 1 to 3 weeks. These coaches are as I said, nothing but JUNK, A WASTE OF MONEY PLUS HOTEL AND FOOD EXPENSES. BUYER BEWARE, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
RENEGADE JUNK. This coach only has 8212 miles on it.

Yes I know Renegade has many suppliers, but they have very low acceptance of quality components from their suppliers. They are simply JUNK assemblers.
ROUGHRIDER3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 02:47 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
@ROUGHRIDER3, Are you not aware of the DEF Sensor Simulator that you can build yourself for about $70 in parts? This device has been available since about September of last year. It can be plugged into the vehicle harness in the event of an OEM Sensor failure to allow your vehicle to continue to operate normally until you can get to a place safely to have the sensor replaced. Here is a link to a recent post about new hardware that can be purchased. It also has a link to a website that explains everything about the problems and how to build the device.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/def...ed-582334.html
Archer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 09:37 AM   #11

Roughrider3 - sounds like you are beyond frustrated, and understandably so. I know for us, as full-timers for almost 2 years, getting service is always a pain when we have to move out of the rig and into a hotel for the duration of the repair.

Sounds like you are having problems with your Freightliner chassis, which as a Renegade 2020 model would assume you have a 2019 chassis. Hopefully it was built with experienced labor, pre-Covid, and the mass movements of staffing.

Hopefully your repair shop is good and can get your issues squared away once and for all.

I was surprised this year to see how far out in the future Renegade service is scheduled. So far we have been happy with the “build” quality, but realize that our rig, being a little older and built at the end of the Kibbi era, might be a little different.
After having service done or attempted with a couple different places, we are now scheduling one trip a year to have Renegade do most of our service as they know the rig, do the work in a fraction of the time of other places, and do the work with Integrity (told us when they made a mistake and resolved it, not charging us for my requested service/part and of course not charging for their mistake.
MemByTheMile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 09:54 AM   #12

2014 American Coach Freightliner ISL 450 76,000 Trouble Free miles. Only buy fresh DEF at truck stops. Dont trust and wont spend the ridiculous prices for the inconvenient "box" stuff.
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 07:28 PM   #13

Yes, I am very fustrated with the DEF problem. I like everything about the coach except for the DEF problem. I have heard of a lot of fustration from OTR drivers as well. What I do not understand is how this country could put men on the moon with 1969 technology, but in 2020/2022 cannot reliabily pump a fluid into an exhaust system on diesel engines??????? Just a simple electric pump that meters amount of fluid much like a IV pump in a hospital. Totally beyond my comprehension.
ROUGHRIDER3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 10:39 PM   #14

2017 was the start of the DEF issues for all brands of RV's. And then the supply chain issue compounded the problem. Hard to blame Renegade, Newmar etc.. They are all succeptable
outlawten5 is offline   Reply With Quote