Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2021, 08:14 PM   #1

Drive of Verona 36VSB versus 34VQB

My wife and I are very interested in getting a 34VQB. That said, the 36VSB has some advantages and the prices seem very comparable. So we haven't completely eliminated the 36 as a possibility.

Has anyone driven both that can provide a drive-ability comparison?
rickandsonja is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2021, 08:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsonja View Post
My wife and I are very interested in getting a 34VQB. That said, the 36VSB has some advantages and the prices seem very comparable. So we haven't completely eliminated the 36 as a possibility.

Has anyone driven both that can provide a drive-ability comparison?
Turning Radius

MagnaTudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 10:39 AM   #3

We have a 40VRB, and have yet to think we’d want something smaller, even with the trailer behind us (total length 66’), I’ll take her most anywhere and have. Go big, you’ll enjoy the extra space.
RaceRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 11:19 AM   #4

Check with your dealer because rumor has it that the 34VQB floorplan is being discontinued soon.
Uncle_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 03:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaTudes View Post
Turning Radius

Wow! I never would've guessed it would've been that dramatic. Thanks for posting!

--maybe a one day Verona owner, if I can just convince my wife that everything else is terrible and we need to make the leap from the Minnie Winnie
Old 05-11-2021, 04:33 PM   #6

[QUOTE=DirtRider;5746171--maybe a one day Verona owner, if I can just convince my wife that everything else is terrible and we need to make the leap from the Minnie Winnie [/QUOTE]

I made that leap. Winnebago Spirit 25B to a Verona 36VSB. I was strongly in favor of the 34VQB until I saw how tight the aisle was to the bathroom with the slide in. I bought the 36VSB and really like it, including the washer and dryer which I initially thought were frivolous.
Paul R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 11:02 PM   #7

My preference would be they would make a 34 floor plan with combo washer drier (and overhead front bunk).

Also wish there was a 2 slide short LE with overhead front bunk, with washer/drier combo. Say 35' to 36' max.
drw907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 08:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R. View Post
I made that leap. Winnebago Spirit 25B to a Verona 36VSB. I was strongly in favor of the 34VQB until I saw how tight the aisle was to the bathroom with the slide in. I bought the 36VSB and really like it, including the washer and dryer which I initially thought were frivolous.
FREAKING AWESOME! I bet that's not a common transition. Have you found the Verona a bit of an adjustment for boondocking?
Old 05-12-2021, 06:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtRider View Post
FREAKING AWESOME! I bet that's not a common transition. Have you found the Verona a bit of an adjustment for boondocking?
The big adjustment was wrapping my head around the fact that it’s so much better at boondocking. 150 gallons fresh water, 75 gallons each for black and grey water, a quiet 8kw diesel generator with AGS, solar, locking differential, etc. I feel like I’m cheating.
Paul R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 07:49 PM   #10

Quote:
The big adjustment was wrapping my head around the fact that it’s so much better at boondocking. 150 gallons fresh water, 75 gallons each for black and grey water, a quiet 8kw diesel generator with AGS, solar, locking differential, etc. I feel like I’m cheating.
Congrats! Nothing like a Renegade! The tank sizes sold me.
Old 05-12-2021, 08:12 PM   #11

Quote:
The tank volumes are one of the biggest things that make me drool over these things. And yep, a locking diff seems amazing. The things I would have been worried about boondocking are the physical size, the maneuverability, and the power draws.

Do you find the 12-1/2’ tall profile a problem on forest roads? How much harder is it to maneuver than the little 25b? Obviously, the steering wheel cut is way better than the nonsense on the E450. But the unit is another 10’ longer, so not sure how much of an issue it is.

Finally, is the all-electric thing an issue? I just always think a propane stove would be better without power. And the propane fridge. Does your solar and battery manage well enough, or do you just run the gen some every day?
DirtRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 09:08 PM   #12

All good points. I guess when I said "nothing like a Renegade", I was more in the frame of mind about my own coach which is very different than most Super Cs.

My Renegade Explorer is 32ft bumper to bumper. It has three slides for a comfortable interior space. Cold weather insulated. Fridge/freezer is a modern absorption type 110VAC/propane w/inverted 12VDC. Portable 12VDC/110VAC Danfoss fridge/freezer in storage bay. Hot water heater is 110VAC & propane. The heater is propane or electric 100VAC. The propane tank is 38.6 gal. 230" wheelbase w/ 55 degree steering. 620 aHours of battery (310aH @50% DOD). 8kw quiet diesel gen.

Boondocking is relevant. Are we desert, forest, rest stop, truck stop, National/State County campground?

I may venture up some logging roads in forests, but before doing so I would make sure I could squeeze into there before moving the coach into it. That includes width, height clearance, road quality, turning radius, & tail swing. Wheelbase is important in such ventures. Most of those forest roads were built for moving logs & heavy equipment with long semi-tractor trailer trucks.
Old 05-13-2021, 09:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Do you find the 12-1/2’ tall profile a problem on forest roads? How much harder is it to maneuver than the little 25b?
I never had a class B / small C, but I have had a travel trailer and done plenty of camping off forest roads with both rigs. Yes the height can be a limiting factor. Most of the popular roads have plenty of vertical clearance and lateral maneuvering room (in my experience) but the smaller side roads / camping spurs can get dicey quick. Need to scout ahead and whenever there's ANY doubt...Get Out And Look! (GOAL)

The biggest maneuverability difference is how much more space you need to turn around with a big rig. Sometimes you just won't be able to and will need to back up. Departure angle is similar to what you have now, so be mindful of the dips, but I've taken my Renegade up some decently unmaintained roads.

Quote:
Finally, is the all-electric thing an issue? I just always think a propane stove would be better without power. And the propane fridge. Does your solar and battery manage well enough, or do you just run the gen some every day?
My rig has a propane stove but electric residential fridge. At first I was convinced that we had to have an absorption fridge for boondocking, and I was not happy about the fact that we couldn't find a Super C available for sale that had one. Didn't want to special order so I sucked it up and went for it. And now I'm so glad we did. Yes the residential fridge draws about 90-100 Ah per day depending on ambient temp. But the residential fridge is so much better than the absorption fridges we've used before: plenty of room, ice cream stays frozen, ICE MAKER, vegetables don't get slimy, etc.

But this thing has a quiet and powerful generator with auto start! We went from having solar and no generator to no solar and generator. It took a minute to get used to but it's nice to be able to run anything and everything in the rig, at the same time if you want. Both A/C's, water heater on electric, (when the gen's running, why not save on propane?) microwave, hair dryer, etc. We generally run the generator 3 hours per day split between morning and evening. If you get a rig with solar that will help out too. The rule of thumb is ~30Ah per day per 100W of solar panels assuming good sun.
Old 05-13-2021, 09:21 AM   #14

I forgot to mention cooking. I have an induction cooktop and a microwave/convection oven, both 120VAC. Microwave/convection is on an inverter circuit. Propane is also good to have for the BBQ via a quick connect.