Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2023, 06:27 AM   #1

DT-12 transmission

Did your DT-12 transmission come with 3 Driving Modes, Automatic Economy, Automatic Performance and Manual? The manual spells out how to change between the three. I only have Automatic Performance and Manual available, no Economy! Renegade and Freightliner seem to indicate what I have is normal and if I want Economy mode I can pay to have it flashed onto the ECU.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2023, 10:35 AM   #2

that's weird. it was my understanding that Economy and Manual modes are standard and Performance was optional. I know I specifically asked to include Performance mode and it was a separate line item on the chassis order. Some fleet buyers omit Performance mode because they want their drivers to drive as efficiently as possible. It might be worth getting a second opinion. I've seen some FTL dealers who weren't particularly knowledgeable about the software side of things...
Old 04-21-2023, 07:23 PM   #3

Mine is the same…no economy mode available.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	238EDB17-5339-452C-9F6E-F1EFD4D19293.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	390943  
fountainhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 08:11 PM   #4

That is weird, I was expecting to have economy and performance modes available, based on my reading of the manual prior to delivery.
Renegade seems to think it makes no difference in fuel economy between the two, I am at 7.5 mpg after 2450 miles, my max speed has been 65mph. Maybe it will improve as I get more miles on her.
Old 04-23-2023, 06:07 PM   #5

I’ve got a little over 13000 miles now and there’s been no change in mileage so far.

Is the 7.5 towing? Without towing anything (not even a toad) I can get 9+ at 65mph. I’m almost always towing a large enclosed, though, and I tend to drive 75+. I’ve been getting around 7-7.5 mpg traveling between the southeast and out west.
Old 04-23-2023, 07:09 PM   #6

Flat towing F-150 from Katy TX to Auburn AL 65mph averaging 7.5mpg. Was thinking would get about 9mpg, it is what it is, not worried about it.
Have appointment at Freightliner dealer in South Bend IN on 15th May to have transmission flashed for economy mode, will see how that works out. Also getting alignment done and upgrading the stock shocks.
Old 04-24-2023, 12:00 PM   #7

Interested to hear how the economy mode works out for you. Maybe it’ll shift more smoothly.

How out of alignment is your rig? Does it pull much? Also, what shocks are you switching to?
Old 04-24-2023, 01:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fountainhead View Post
Interested to hear how the economy mode works out for you. Maybe it’ll shift more smoothly.

The only real difference between E and P modes is when it shifts. E shifts sooner as RPMs increase, and P later. But by 45 mph or so, we're usually in 12th gear anyway, so the shift program no longer matters. It's only when running through the gears around town or accelerating that you notice the timing difference.
Old 04-24-2023, 09:52 PM   #9

Quote:

How out of alignment is your rig? Does it pull much? Also, what shocks are you switching to?
I will let you know after I have it installed.

I have to hold the steering wheel to the left all the time, as soon as I let go it pulls severely to the right. It makes it very tiring. I lost my left arm in an accident just over a year ago so I cannot alternate between hands holding the steering wheel.

I have asked for Koni shocks from the dealership but I am waiting to hear back from HD shocks to see it they have a shock that fits.
Old 04-24-2023, 10:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Mike View Post
The only real difference between E and P modes is when it shifts. E shifts sooner as RPMs increase, and P later. But by 45 mph or so, we're usually in 12th gear anyway, so the shift program no longer matters. It's only when running through the gears around town or accelerating that you notice the timing difference.
Mike, agree with you on that.
The other difference, which I think will help with fuel economy, is that with Economy Mode you can use eCoast. On my center digital screen eCoast is there but the slider button does not respond to input. Online research says eCoast is only available in Economy Mode.
Old 04-25-2023, 06:18 PM   #11

eCoast definitely works on mine with no economy setting. Odd.
Old 04-25-2023, 07:09 PM   #12

That is odd, I cannot get eCoast to engage on slider control, read somewhere online that it only works on Economy mode. Will get it figured out soon.
Old 04-25-2023, 07:12 PM   #13

Quote:
eCoast definitely works on mine with no economy setting. Odd.
eCoast isn't dependent on E or P mode on mine - it always kicks in when the road map is in memory. I searched my FTL manuals and couldn't find any mention of eCoast being unavailable in P mode.
Old 04-25-2023, 07:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordSailOne View Post
That is odd, I cannot get eCoast to engage on slider control, read somewhere online that it only works on Economy mode. Will get it figured out soon.
What do you mean by "slider control"? I don't do anything to force eCoast to engage. If you're on a mapped road and a few other conditions are met (like foot off the accelerator pedal, etc), then eCoast engages automatically. I can force it out of eCoast easily enough (step on the gas) but i don't think you can force it into eCoast mode by any dash controls...

Tags
transmission