Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2022, 08:41 AM   #1

Engine Noise in Renegade Super C Models?

In this blog, other Super C owners, of other brands, have several threads talking about engine noise and how to dampen it.

In Renegade Super C models is engine noise generally NOT a problem, or are different models different for engine noise?

We were going to order a Renegade Explorer but now think it will be a Classic 41CRB, so hopefully the noise won't be a problem, but where we live it is several hours drive to find a Renegade.
DrT7575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2022, 11:25 AM   #2

The link below has a lengthy discussion on the advantages and disadvantages of the Super C's. Included in the discussion is engine noise. While any front end diesel will be louder than a diesel pusher, I can speak from experience, engine noise in a high end renegade is not an issue. Compared to my old Chevy gas class C or my inlaw's V-10, the diesel in a Super C is whisper quiet. The cab has ample sound deadening and in my case, the Big Block Cummins cruises down the road barely above idle.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/i-do...me-590378.html
KFed 90-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 02:02 PM   #3

Engine noise will vary in a super c based on the cab sound insulation and the engine. We have a 2013 Cummins ISX 15/600 and this is in the Ikon.
Good sound insulation but a noisy engine. We can talk while driving down the road without any issues, but when accelerating the noise increases.
The newer engines are sooo much quieter. At a stop, while walking back to the truck, I can hear my engine over the engines of three trucks closer to me. Would love to have a newer and quieter engine.

Super C will never be as quiet as a Diesel Pusher, but we love this rig and it is quiet enough for us.
MemByTheMile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 05:54 AM   #4

I have a 2021 Verona LE. I recently saw a couple of YouTube video reviews where the reviewer takes her cell phone and measures the engine noise of various high end Class A’s at cruise speed. There are a various apps that do this, albeit not sure how accurate they are. She would consistently measure 66db for a Cornerstone and a King Aire. I downloaded a free decibel measuring app and tried it in my Verona. At cruise 65mph, I am in the low 90’s. While I never considered the engine noise to be offensive as I can carry on a conversation with a passenger without any problem, there does appear to be a real measurable difference between the Class A’s with the engine in the rear. I’ve never owned a Class A but considering it. I do love my Super C however.
rhealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 08:01 AM   #5

Can we have Renegade put more insulation on the engine cover?

Thanks for your responses. We are in the process of ordering - does anybody know if Renegade will add more insulation if we pay for it, or do we have to wait and do it ourselves? We are convinced Renegade makes high quality MH and by ordering a Classic, they say it is more custom made.
DrT7575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 08:04 AM   #6

Traded one for a Class A... Couldn't stand the noise any more !. Would NEVER go back. Can easily hear the wifey now.. Not sure thats a good thing .... LOL !!!
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 09:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrT7575 View Post
Thanks for your responses. We are in the process of ordering - does anybody know if Renegade will add more insulation if we pay for it, or do we have to wait and do it ourselves? We are convinced Renegade makes high quality MH and by ordering a Classic, they say it is more custom made.
Yes you can add extra insulation and you can add Tempcoat a spray on insulation, we have added both.
Old 09-17-2022, 03:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrT7575 View Post
When the P4 Cascadia came out around 2018, Freightliner offered a premium sound insulation package for the cab. They rolled that into the standard/base a year or so later. So the P4 that Renegade orders todays for Classics already has the most cab insulation available from the factory. There are 3rd-party sound absorption products like Dynamat that you can line your doors and hood with, but I haven't heard of anyone doing that on a Cascadia or VNR cab. Personally, I think the cab sound level in the Cascadia is very comfortable at 65-70mph, which is where I normally drive. It seems quieter to me than the Verona I test-drove. The insulation options Renegade offers (like spray foam, temp-coat, etc) only apply to the "house" they build on the chassis, not the cab itself.
Old 09-19-2022, 08:18 AM   #9

My 2022 Ikon Cascadia chassis was not too bad, but if you want quiet, get a Class A with the engine in the rear. The DD16, while not as noisy as older engines can be loud under certain conditions.

We went back to a Class A mainly for other reasons like ride quality, roominess and a far, far better turning radius. If you get a 45' Cascadia, be prepared to need LOTS of room to maneuver and it can be a chore at times, especially if you have to unhook your toad to get into a spot.
Mark3101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 08:26 AM   #10

I know that I am very late to the conversation. You've probably placed your order by now, but I just wanted to echo what Mark3101 said. If you want real quiet (and an enviable turning radius)you need to go Class-A.

FWIW I'm partial to Truck Conversions. I don't like the detached, out in front feeling of a Class-A (yes, I've driven a couple of them). I prefer to feel like I'm just driving a big pickup. I like the engine feedback and having all that truck between me and anything that may have the misfortune of coming in contact with the front of the rig.

Regardless of the amount of sound dampening, the make, model and year of the chassis, the horsepower, make and generation of the engine, or the quality of the build, you are sitting 2' from the engine instead of 40' from the engine. It is purely a matter of preference, not tolerance. If you want to drive a truck, albeit a nicely hushed truck, carry on. Best of luck with whatever new rig you select.

Tags
engine, noise