Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2022, 08:14 PM   #1

Explore 40ERB vs Classic 41CRB? Help Please!

We are trying to figure out the real differences between the Renegade Explorer 40ERB and the Renegade Classic 41CRB. The obvious difference is one single rear axle vs two rear axles. And, lots of money - the Classic is much higher in price.

Both have Detroit DD13 Diesel engine and Freightliner chassis.

Basic Questions: 1. Will the Classic get lower miles per gallon with two rear axles?

2. Will the two rear axles make the Classic ride better?

3. Other differences you know about?

I appreciate your help.

NordSail helped me get in touch with his dealer - thanks.
DrT7575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2022, 07:19 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrT7575 View Post
We are trying to figure out the real differences between the Renegade Explorer 40ERB and the Renegade Classic 41CRB. The obvious difference is one single rear axle vs two rear axles. And, lots of money - the Classic is much higher in price.

Basic Questions: 1. Will the Classic get lower miles per gallon with two rear axles?

I appreciate your help.

1. Yes, all else being equal (or nearly equal) ie same engine, same trans, but more weight and more rolling friction in the dual axle 41, the Explorer will get better mileage. But the difference may not be significant.

2. This is subjective. Many owners of dual axle rigs claim that ride is better and feels more "planted". As the owner of a single axle Classic, I find the ride is just fine and always feel sufficiently planted.

3. Because the Classic is so configurable, there can be many, many differences, depending on your choices. For example, the dual axle opens up the possibility of choosing the 12.5kW generator, which then allows for 3 AC units, and also a dedicated inverter to run one of them. You can also add propane in Classics, which opens up other possibilities (gas range, connection to outside grills, etc).
Old 09-15-2022, 07:23 AM   #3

More questions please????

In the Classic can we add a propane oven or is this option completely gone now-a-days?
Old 09-15-2022, 08:32 AM   #4

1. Yes
2. No
3. The Explorer has a fiberglass rear cap vs the Classic having a flat back. Some customization on the Classic, but much less than there used to be.
1HasBeen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 10:01 AM   #5

Quote:

I appreciate your help.

1. Probably, but not by much, depends mainly on your right foot and what transmission you pick.
2. I have not compared the ride in both but the internet says it feels more planted with two, especially in side winds. With two you also have the advantage of 4 extra drive tires and more brakes.
3. Along with the larger generator and an extra A/C unit you can also upgrade the insulation to help when you are in hot or cold locations.
You can add a second inverter to run the center A/C when going down the road without running the generator.
You can chose Aerocap or overhead bunk.
You can get padded walls instead of wallboard.
You can change the location and type of furniture.
You can change the bathroom to a corner vanity and add drawers instead of cabinets in places.

Probably other things that I am not thinking about right now.

Yes the Classic is more money than the Explorer, we thought it was worth it for the upgrades and customization that we were able to do.
Old 09-15-2022, 10:44 AM   #6

I can't believe I forgot to mention the insulation. If I remember correctly, there are 4-5 different insulation options available, some of which you can combine for even better sound and temp control. The IWS packages are just their own combos, but you can make others (including one more extreme than IWS' extreme package).
Also, as a tall person, I really like the higher ceilings in Classics (90") compared to just about all other Renegade models (84"). Combine that with the aero-cap/standup cab and the rig has plenty of headroom everywhere.
The king bed is also full length (80") and not the stubby "short king" (74") which in my opinion should be illegal.
The rear wall, as NordSailOne said, is FRP. A fringe benefit of that construction is you can add a rear window which really opens up the bedroom and makes it bright.
Old 09-15-2022, 12:10 PM   #7

I haven't actually looked inside an Explorer to provide an apples to apples comparison, but I will comment on the dual axles. I never thought I needed or wanted the tandem axles, as I only tow a light jeep. Then I drove one. The stability, stopping power and ride of the tandem axle is definitely a thing. Road imperfections, wind, passing semis all have virtually no effect on your ability to track straight down the road. Also, as I like to boondock and drive on dirt roads, the axles have air lockers. Pretty hard to get eight locked in drive wheels stuck in the mud. I guess the only negative would be a slightly wider turning radius and the expense of replacing 4 additional tires when the time comes. Also a huge factor for Classic owners, is complete ability to customize when ordering new from the factory. I too like having the propane cooktop and oven and was lucky enough to find a used one with these features. Not sure if they still offer these options from the factory. As my motor has gotten more broken in, I'm getting just above 7 mpgs, with the 15L Cummings and weighing 42,000+ lbs. Happy hunting.
KFed 90-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 12:45 PM   #8

Choice of chassis and diesel engine?

More questions, please:

4. Any opinions on the three choices for chassis and engine? I think I want a DD13 Detroit engine.

I know very little about Volvo engines - been in a couple Volvo cars and see Volvo OTR trucks. And see Peterbilt OTR trucks, also.
Old 09-15-2022, 05:52 PM   #9

Quote:
More questions, please:

4. Any opinions on the three choices for chassis and engine? I think I want a DD13 Detroit engine.

I know very little about Volvo engines - been in a couple Volvo cars and see Volvo OTR trucks. And see Peterbilt OTR trucks, also.
I think all the chassis choices are good, it comes down to what you prefer.

You say you want the DD13, are you leaning toward Freightliner? Why the DD13 instead of the DD16? What transmission are you leaning toward? Where are you planning on driving the most, mountains or flatlands?
Old 09-15-2022, 07:18 PM   #10

DD16?

I have zero knowledge of the Detroit DD16 but I researched Dd13 a lot - what models have the DD16? I assume it s larger than the DD13? We will probably go into the mountains some because I have family in Colorado and Wyoming. Thanks
Old 09-15-2022, 07:40 PM   #11

DD16 15.6 litre, 600hp 1850 ft lb torque, it does require the longer Cascadia cab at 126 inches vs the 116 inch cab for the smaller engine. In a size for size length coach you will then lose approx. 10" of living space.

DD13 Designed specifically for intrastate local distribution and vocational applications

DD16 Detroits biggest most powerful engine designed for owner/operator OTR long haul trucks
Old 09-15-2022, 07:44 PM   #12

So is it HP or Torque????

Same torque as DD13 but more HP? What matters most?
Old 09-15-2022, 08:01 PM   #13

Torque vs horsepower always brings out proponents for each but here is the definition and explanation.

Torque expresses the turning ability of the engine (the ability to turn its flywheel) and horsepower means the total power output of the engine. In very simple terms, torque is the force you feel pushing you back in your seat on acceleration, while horsepower is the speed achieved at the end of that acceleration.

The DD16 in some applications can be 2050 ft lbs of torque.
Old 09-15-2022, 08:01 PM   #14

Volvo Engines?

John and others - I have loved my two Mercedes diesel engines in my two cars in the past 27 years, love my Kubota diesel tractor and so maybe I should look at the Volvo D16 I think it is? Any ideas, experience or thoughts? Thanks in advance.