Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-14-2022, 01:46 PM   #1

Extended Warranty Coverage?

We are picking up our new Verona 40VBH on Thursday 1/20. Our dealer just sent us the list of extended warranty options they offer. There is a 7 year LUX package or just windshield coverage or a wheel/tire only option. Based on all the excluded items I'm inclined to not buy any of these warranties. Curious what others did and if you had any claims? The warranty company they are peddling is called RV Protect. For the 7-year LUX coverage, they want $7200 with a $200 deductible. Appreciate input any of you have. I'm spending the money on a Renegade largely due to their quality reputation. I realize there is never a guarantee and these decisions boil down to personal risk appetite.
DockmasterAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2022, 02:07 PM   #2

Warranty

There are things you must consider as I experienced a warranty previous with another company but through Motor Homes of Texas. I paid roughly 4500.00 for 5 years of service with a 50.00 deductible. It was for interior only but included the Oasis System and slides. No mechanical as far as motor or transmission. I was very happy with it as I always went to Motor Homes of Texas for service. I am not sure what would have happened if serviced at another location. Something to ask on your behave for sure. Also read the fine print. For the Oasis or Aqua Hot to be covered it had to be serviced every year which may be an over kill depending on usage. Regarding the slide there was also a catch in that repair. They limited the coverage to a max of 500.00. On my Foretravel the bladder replacement was 4500.00. Not sure but based on your price quote it may cover more but not sure. Itís always a gamble but for what I paid in 3 years I got back less than a thousand in repairs. Check out the service at where you are purchasing the warranty. Will you be comfortable going back there or will it cover you on the road. Read other peoples account of this particular warranty before you decide. Read the fine print. Good luck. Travato John
jl.kauai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 04:26 PM   #3

Buying a used (6 months old) 2021 Entegra Vision Class A next month and Entegra does not transfer their 2 year bumper-to-bumper warranty to second owner only the Ford Chasis and Powertrain warranty which are 3 y 36,000 mi and 6 y 60,000 mi, respectively. So purchased an 8 y bumper-to-bumper including tire damage service agreement with $100 deductible for $4900 with authorized repairs anywhere.

Purchased a 2020 Montana 3780RL fifth wheel trailer new and a 6 y bumper-to-bumper service agreement with $0 deductible for $3000 with authorized repairs anywhere. Used the latter to replace black tank valve and cable assembly, which was out of warranty. If I had purchased one for my first fifth wheel trailer it would have more than paid for damages due to operator error.

Also purchased a 6 y service agreement on a 46 y old house and this summer it covered an air conditioner repair bill.
Camp CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 04:42 PM   #4

Warranty...........Only the factory has a warranty.
All others are 'service contract' which are peddled to buyers

Tiny Fine Print/Exclusion Clauses are bias to 'warranty company'
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 04:53 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
They're not worth it. Look at the list of things it doesn't cover before you sign. Don't look at the brochure, don't listen to the dealer, look at the contract. See all that stuff? That means you will be paying for everything on your own, whether you buy the thing or not. How likely is it that anything that they do cover will cost you more than the cost of the contract? They wouldn't be in business long if they paid out more than they took in. If you change your mind later, after the original warranty has expired, you can always buy a service contract later. They're cheaper and cover more stuff if you buy later on.
Old 01-14-2022, 05:40 PM   #6

Here's a good extended warranty coverage from a couple weeks ago when we bought our trailer. Guy was giving his spew about the extended warranty and got to the tire coverage. It covered the tire....but not any collateral damage from the tire. Basically if we had a blow out it would cover the $90 tire but not the thousands in damage it caused. That's a hard pass from me dawg.
0rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 06:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
Here's a good extended warranty coverage from a couple weeks ago when we bought our trailer. Guy was giving his spew about the extended warranty and got to the tire coverage. It covered the tire....but not any collateral damage from the tire. Basically if we had a blow out it would cover the $90 tire but not the thousands in damage it caused. That's a hard pass from me dawg.
Comprehensive coverage on an RV insurance policy covers the damage caused by the blowout, but not the tire itself. The coverages are complementary and donít overlap because you wouldnít want to pay for the same coverage twice.
Uncle_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 07:31 PM   #8

I don't believe in "extended warranties" but there's are those that do. As for glass (windshield coverage) talk to your regular insurance company. I think my insurance company covered mine for $5 per year with -0- deductible. You might also want to check on what Freightliner gets for a new windshield. It's a very common truck windshield so it should be very, very cheap compared to most motorhome windshields. As for the rest of it, I would talk to Wholesale Warranty and see what they have to say, they seem to have a good reputation. I also understand that you want an exclusionary policy which covers everything that is NOT excluded. Good luck but if it were me I'd keep the $7,200 in the bank.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 07:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
I don't believe in "extended warranties" but there's are those that do. As for glass (windshield coverage) talk to your regular insurance company. I think my insurance company covered mine for $5 per year with -0- deductible. You might also want to check on what Freightliner gets for a new windshield. It's a very common truck windshield so it should be very, very cheap compared to most motorhome windshields. As for the rest of it, I would talk to Wholesale Warranty and see what they have to say, they seem to have a good reputation. I also understand that you want an exclusionary policy which covers everything that is NOT excluded. Good luck but if it were me I'd keep the $7,200 in the bank.
We just recently had a semi add a nice chip to the windshield of our Verona this past summer, repaired by safeliteÖif it would have needed replaced, cost was $960. I was happy with the $115. Id keep the extra $$ for the extended in your pocket.
RaceRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 12:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockmasterAK View Post
We are picking up our new Verona 40VBH on Thursday 1/20. Our dealer just sent us the list of extended warranty options they offer. There is a 7 year LUX package or just windshield coverage or a wheel/tire only option. Based on all the excluded items I'm inclined to not buy any of these warranties. Curious what others did and if you had any claims? The warranty company they are peddling is called RV Protect. For the 7-year LUX coverage, they want $7200 with a $200 deductible. Appreciate input any of you have. I'm spending the money on a Renegade largely due to their quality reputation. I realize there is never a guarantee and these decisions boil down to personal risk appetite.
We took ownership of our new coach one year ago and was faced with the same decision. I have owned three diesel pusher class A s, one fifth wheel, and one travel trailer prior to purchasing our current coach. Twice I purchased extended warranties. The rest of the time I did not. I am sure there are some out there that have benefited from an extended warranty. In our case, there has not been a single time that we would have gotten our money back through using the extended warranty.

With the amount of money, they ask for which comes with so many restrictions, I am a strong believer in keeping that money in the bank and use it when needed.

For what it is worth,
Wayne

2021 Verona VRB
trailerbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 06:09 PM   #11

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the thoughts and input. As I mentioned in my first post, they exclude so many items I donít know how they can justify the cost. Really the only reason I even considered it is I bought the warranty on a used car I bought my daughter two years ago. It had to have the engine replaced so the $3k warranty saved me $15k. But Iím keenly aware that is very non typical.
Iím really glad to see I didnít get a bunch of replies with long lists or problems or items breaking.
DockmasterAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 11:29 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just for others's info - I just got a quote for a 2022 Valencia 38RX from Wholesale Warranties for 7 years, $200Ded for $7579 (less $400 if you PIF vs payments)

Warranty is either through Viking or Extended Elite. Viking has 70K miles of 7 years and Extended Elite is unlimited miles.

Both options are exclusionary warranties.

Both options include a non Deductible Tire and Wheel plan.

Since the unit is new the first year is really only an umbrella over the manufacturers warranty but the tire and wheel are in effect.
pgrennan3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, extended warranty, warranty