Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2023, 04:41 PM   #1

Firefly issue

I have a 2023 Valencia 38BB- I cannot get the MPPT to talk to the Firefly- I see the option for solar on the firefly but all outputs are blank. There is a remote monitor in the compartment with the MPPT but is difficult to read the settings. Anyone have a manual on the remote meter? Or a fix to get the firefly to see it?
Renegade20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2023, 08:44 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade20 View Post
I have a 2023 Valencia 38BB- I cannot get the MPPT to talk to the Firefly- I see the option for solar on the firefly but all outputs are blank. There is a remote monitor in the compartment with the MPPT but is difficult to read the settings. Anyone have a manual on the remote meter? Or a fix to get the firefly to see it?
Have you tried calling firefly? They have been very responsive and helpful to me in the past.
iluvuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 11:58 PM   #3

When I picked up my verona from the dealer I was told the firefly and mppt don’t communicate. Seems kind of ridiculous if that’s actually the case
Daswens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 03:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade20 View Post
It don’t communicate with firefly I have 23’ RB. I have the manuals in PDF but can’t put it on here. Send me a message. I sent you a email threw the forum.
Bayouownbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 06:03 PM   #5

Update- I found out that they did not bother to run a communication wire from the MMPT to the firefly. So no communication. Would have been an extra 5 minutes of work from the factory to do it. I’m going to either run a hardwire or get an aftermarket Bluetooth to get the readings with out sticking my head to the back of the compartment. I also found the manuals. Thanks for all the replies
Old 05-01-2023, 09:49 AM   #6

Renegade had issues with the MPPT and Firefly interface in earlier models so they quit trying to get them to work together. But I don't think they changed the Firefly programming. They just stopped connecting them. If you really want to know what your solar is doing the easiest thing to do is to replace the Jaboni MPPT with a Victron or similar that has a bluetooth option and you can see it on your phone. Most will tell you the Jaboni MPPT are not great anyway and recommend changing. I plan to change mine on my 22 Verona but haven't gotten around to it yet.
DockmasterAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 08:01 PM   #7

I bought this. Works well but you need to be very close to the controller.

https://fsi-sales.com/products/bluetooth-module

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 09:14 PM   #8

My 2022 Explorer came with a Jaboni solar controller. Firefly doesn’t recognize it. Dealer called Renegade and found I have the lesser model that doesn’t have the Bluetooth feature. I suspect a parts availability problem during the build. I will write Renegade and ask for the proper Jaboni unit and see what they say.
rp709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 04:29 AM   #9

What functions of the solar controller are you trying to see on the Firefly?
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 10:51 PM   #10

Charge rate, voltage, current. I use my inverter a lot while underway (extra freezer for example) and want to know that my solar is keeping up with the load.
Old 06-14-2023, 05:58 AM   #11

I have the Jabroni controller in my 21 Classic. Almost every time I turn on the solar from the Firefly it doesn't work. I then have to go in the compartment and reset the Jabroni to make it work.
I will look at mine. I know it shows how much power the solar is making.

If you are underway, the engine is charging your batteries. There is no need for solar. I only ever turn the solar on when parked.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 07:14 AM   #12

My Jaboni solar controller has no on off function. It charges if there is sunlight. It is also drawing current from the batteries at all times. I am installing an on off switch for storage. Why Renegade built the Explorer without a master battery disconnect is also baffling. The manual that came with the coach shows how to use your on off switch (obviously a different model is shown).
I bought a bluetooth dongle from Jaboni and can look at solar output on my smart phone. Unfortunately, that feature doesn't seem to work anymore. It is just annoying to have a 1/2 million dollar coach without the basic function of solar control monitoring inside.
While driving the solar energy reduces the load on the engine alternator. How much power the alternator takes from the engine at maximum charge rate isn't known. It is possible the fuel requirement for this is negligible.
Old 06-14-2023, 07:15 AM   #13

I have a working Jabroni that I removed from our 2021 Verona because I needed a larger solar controller. If someone wants it just pay my shipping and it is yours. This unit talks to the Firefly.
Old 06-15-2023, 12:34 AM   #14

I will take you up on that. Please let me know how you would like me to pay for shipping. Thanks!

Tags
fire