RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-12-2020, 08:41 PM   #1

Freightliner M2-106 Vs Cascadia 113 frame

Looking at a Renegade Verona or Classic. Looking for a 40 footer or less. I know the major differences between the two frames and engines. Cascadia bigger engine and able to tow more. I donít need the towing capacity my question is on the ride. Which one would ride and handle better while towing a Jeep.
Thanks much Dan
Dan_W is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2020, 09:16 PM   #2

Vote for Cascadia

Dan, while I have never driven the M2, I can say with certainty my Cascadia, with the 15 liter Cummins, dual axle and 13 speed Eaton is a dream to drive. The ride is firm but not harsh, like riding in a luxury pickup truck. I too tow a jeep and it makes no difference in fuel mileage if I tow or not, averaging 7.5 mpg. I set the cruise on the interstate at 75 and forget it. Wind, passing trucks, grooves in the road, nothing pushes me off course, except my own input sometimes. As long as I have decent momentum, I can climb 6% grades with little or no slowdown. The power and stability is amazing and a must in the Mountain West, where I spend most of my time. I know my coach is a little different, being a 45 footer and a Cascadia 125, but I would imagine comparable in ride to a 40 footer, Cascadia 113 and the DD 13. The beauty of the classic is you can really customize right from the factory. But I say, you cant have too much of a good thing and go with the Classic. Good luck, and you can't go wrong with either choice.
Old 10-12-2020, 09:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_W View Post
Looking at a Renegade Verona or Classic. Looking for a 40 footer or less. I know the major differences between the two frames and engines. Cascadia bigger engine and able to tow more. I donít need the towing capacity my question is on the ride. Which one would ride and handle better while towing a Jeep.
Thanks much Dan
Cascadia rides better and has more power. You would never know a Jeep is behind you with either one. But I didn't want to put that much money into a toy so I bought a Verona LE.
2004 Blue Bird M380 (sold)
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 09:27 PM   #4

Iíve driven possibly a dozen Veronaís and Classics 40 ft single axles. While it might come as a surprise the Verona with a L9 is actually quicker than a Classic with a Detroit. While thereís more power in the Classic thereís also a lot more build weight to deal with. Good luck with your venture either coach will give you a lifetime of service as an RV.

Stay Safe - Mike
Idleup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 10:40 PM   #5

Thanks much for the advice, i have a CDL CLASS B airbrake endorsement, just had it for years but donít drive to much being in sales instead. I have had my mind many up 3 times this year ďhahaĒ. Renegade has been my go to brand just waiting for the market to settle down. I have been looking over the Newmar Super Star, that came out in the past two years. Little scared about hearing that they have had problems with windows, not sure if it is on the Class C. Anyone have an opinion on Newmar Super Star??
Dan_W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 10:08 PM   #6

I was just days away from putting a deposit down on a new Verona. While visiting the dealership one more time, someone traded in a 42 foot classic. We took it for a ride and were blown away by the ride, power and extra amenities. The Class 8 truck is amazing in an RV application. Plus my wife found out she could customize many of the Classic's features etc. So we turned our attention to finding a Classic and eventually found our current coach, a barely used 2014 with only 10,000 miles on it and for less than the price of a new Verona. With patience and persistence you can find good used coaches. The price of a new one is a bit hard to swallow for most of us. Good luck.
Old 10-14-2020, 08:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFed 90-10 View Post
I was just days away from putting a deposit down on a new Verona. While visiting the dealership one more time, someone traded in a 42 foot classic. We took it for a ride and were blown away by the ride, power and extra amenities. The Class 8 truck is amazing in an RV application. Plus my wife found out she could customize many of the Classic's features etc. So we turned our attention to finding a Classic and eventually found our current coach, a barely used 2014 with only 10,000 miles on it and for less than the price of a new Verona. With patience and persistence you can find good used coaches. The price of a new one is a bit hard to swallow for most of us. Good luck.
Looks like your patience paid off - while there are very few - there is some good deals on used coaches since many owners are going through troubled times in their business. In addition, Motor Sport racing is on its knees which might produce a few more coaches. Send us some pretty pictures!

Stay Safe - Mike
Old 10-14-2020, 07:00 PM   #8

I live in CO. I went with a 36’ Verona with a L9. Tow a rubicon and really don’t struggle very bad on the long pulls. The 36’ was a little lighter than the LE and I feel dollar for dollar it was a wise buy. I just pulled 1300 miles to the midwest and got between 7.8 - 8.3MPG. Not bad really. If I was retired or had deeper pockets I may have went classic. A Classic is in my future but we are surprisingly very satisfied with the M2 Verona. My wife doesn’t even want to do an upgrade to a classic but I will consider it when the time is right.My reasoning is more about the ability to custom build a coach , it’s a bucket list thing like a Beech Bonanza when I sell my Bonanza I will order a classic. I would really like to see the cabs go through another year or two of updates. A 10 year old pickup seems to have more features then a new Cascadia or M2. I would kick around a Peterbuilt or other when I decide to Push closer to the half million dollar envelope. I think a person could feel good about the value with either chassis. These are trucks and drive like trucks. Anybody that says it drives like a car or even a 1/2 ton truck has much better driving skills than I do and maybe a little better imagination.
Renegade sure builds a nice coach. I will never have a 5th wheel again !!!
xcflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_W View Post
Thanks much Dan
It can be overwhelming, I ran across this chart that may help you. We ended up with The 2019 Verona, 36VSB. (M2-106)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf S2RV vs M2 106 Chart.pdf (218.6 KB, 13 views)
Tobyamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 10:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idleup View Post
Iíve driven possibly a dozen Veronaís and Classics 40 ft single axles. While it might come as a surprise the Verona with a L9 is actually quicker than a Classic with a Detroit. While thereís more power in the Classic thereís also a lot more build weight to deal with. Good luck with your venture either coach will give you a lifetime of service as an RV.

Stay Safe - Mike
Earlier this year I convoyed from one race track to another with our classic and my friend's Verona. Our '07 Columbia 40' single axle with Mercedes 450 pulling a 30' renegade steel frame stacker with race car and spares didn't pull away from a 40' Verona pulling a 26' stacker loaded similarly. The classic has a build weight penalty, and was pulling a heavier trailer.
stamanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 12:27 PM   #11

Could you be kind enough to tell me the weights both Gross and dry so I can tell OCC , I have a 2021 Verona 36VSB on order.

Thanks in advance
Mastertech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 06:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastertech1 View Post
Could you be kind enough to tell me the weights both Gross and dry so I can tell OCC , I have a 2021 Verona 36VSB on order.

Thanks in advance
Hello you'll never have to ever worry about adding too much weight in your Verona, my coach is a Verona 34' and I'm allowed over 9,000 lbs.

Enjoy your new ride!

Mike
Old 10-31-2020, 05:32 AM   #13

A 2021 Verona 36VSB with the over cab bunk/washer and dryer/lithium batteries/solar package has an OCCC of 8079 lbs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D3410744-902C-4B1D-9330-896A87801862.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	219.2 KB
ID:	306520  
Paul R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 05:15 AM   #14

OCC

Thanks !!
Mastertech1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags